Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

MESuper

Hi,
Just picked up an ME Super,it has a few issues.Film advance stuck so I cant fire shutter(spell check just picked up typo error,dont hit key next to U for shutter).This was a problem with my Canon AE1 but a new battery fixed this,will this be the same for the super?
The mirror is in the up position but not stuck,push it down with no resistance but it just slowly rises back up,making the view finder dark,any thoughts most welcome
Thank you,Steve

08-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Forum Member

I have an old beat-up ME Super that locks up every now and then. I can fix it by taking the film out, and pushing the shutter curtain down with my fingernail.
08-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

ME Super

The ME Super needs a battery to operate the meter and the electronically controlled shutter. However, it is designed so that it can be used in B and at 1/100 (or is it 1/125?) second without battery power. Try setting it on 1/100. That's why there are the settings "M", "A", "1/100" and "B" on the selector dial.

I have an ME Super but I don't have it with me. I don't know if a dead battery will prevent the film advance from working. I'm afraid that I don't think it will, which would indicate something more seriously wrong.

Is the shutter open and the mirror up? Mine will occasionally stick in the open position when I shoot in Auto mode. When this happens, I change to 1/100 or Manual mode and it usually clears it up. Someone may have had this happen and left it that way, running the battery down in the process. You could try a new battery. They're not expensive.

BTW, if you don't have a user manual, you can download one for free from Pentax USA's website at PENTAX Digital Cameras and DSLRs - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site. Click on the support button and then on "self support". Follow the links for manuals and literature. The manuals are mediocre photocopies in PDF form. The print quality is lousy, but the information is all there.
08-31-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1. Set the mode dial to 125x or B as suggested by Paul and see if the mirror comes down.
2. If not, try BetterSense's trick: open up the back door, put your finger lightly on the shutter (those hinges) and push it slightly down, this usually would work w/ stuck shutter/mirror.
3. If still no luck, try Wheatfield's trick here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/70158-super-program-issues.html

If still no luck, I guess the camera needs a trip to a repair shop, or Eric as suggested by many here.

08-31-2009, 08:25 PM   #5

The ME super should definitely advance and be able to fire at it's default speed of 1/125 without a battery.

Don't try to force the winder, I would open the back and very gently try to push the shutter curtain down with your fingernail. In my experiences with multiple ME Supers this will put the mirror back down and let you advance. If it works the next you try to fire the shutter is a different story. You never know though, sometimes it just needs a good restting of the firing sequence.
03-05-2021, 11:58 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Superb, and many thanks to everyone who have added to this subject, it has just fixed my mirror stuck up on a me f given me & just finished servicing and run a film through
O can't wait to see results !!!
11-05-2021, 06:54 PM   #7

ME Mirror Lock Up and Exploding LR44 battery

Recently acquired an ME, and installed new batteries, and function seemed correct. No sticky foam at mirror up position. No film testing done.
Two weeks later, no diode display. Dead batteries? Tried shutter release (Auto mode; or default?) andd mirror went up and stayed. Small aperture was set, so I suspected a possible long exposure in process? But if dead batteries is that possible? i.e. no metering. After several minutes, mirror still up.

Opened battery cap, and possibly shorted the top battery on removal? Top LR 44 battery blew up with a bang in my hand. But not hot to touch. Gas release? Lower battery tested at ~ 0.6 v. Polarity of batteries were correct as installed.

Then, In default mode, mirror dropped correctly. Several repeated advance/shutter actuations in this mode, batteryless, gave correct shutter and mirror function, and no mirror lock up.

Is this just an isolated case of a faulty button cell, or is something else going on? I have not installed a new set of batteries yet.