Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Inactive Account

What is it worth? ME Super and Lens

I am trying to clean out my closet full of camera gear and other items. This is where I need some help.

I have a ME Super that has some wear to it that I am looking to eventually sell, just don't know what a good price to ask for it should be. Also have a Pentax-A 35-105mm f1:3.5 fixed that I am trying to price.

I am turning to everyone here for help because after multiple searches I have found a very wide spread in pricing for both items.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide. Also, before anyone asks, these items are not For Sale. If they do become For Sale they will be listed in the Marketplace.

09-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check completed listing on eBay for ME Supers that are in a condition similar to yours, and also check keh.com. Those two sources should give you a good ballpark figure.
09-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Forum Member

If you were going to buy a camera like this, would you want it to go through CLA before using it? That is kind of the challenge - an older camera almost always needs a tune up, no matter the opinion of the original owner.

I have two ME Supers that I picked up in the used market, with several lenses, for around 60 total, but probably the two + lenses were worth $ 100 total. One works, one has a stuck mirror that needs to be fixed. (still).

They are a great camera, and for the price, I can let me 11 YO walk around with one and not really worry about it.
09-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The A35-105/3.5 is a great lens. I paid $150 for mine but it was in near mint condition. If yours is in really nice shape I think $135-$150 would be in the ballpark. I see some people paid less in the database though. I think it will depend if someone who knows what it's worth is in the buying mood if and when you list it. I wouldn't sell mine for anything less than that but on the other hand I wouldn't sell mine.

09-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know a full CLA is overkill, but buying a seals-kit from Jon Goodman and applying it will set you back 10 bucks and adds a lot of value to the camera

Instructions here: http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/seal/Pentax_ME.pdf
09-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ninerref Quote
I have a ME Super that has some wear to it that I am looking to eventually sell, just don't know what a good price to ask for it should be. Also have a Pentax-A 35-105mm f1:3.5 fixed that I am trying to price.
Here's my take:

MESuper - if working but needing film door seals and mirror bumper foam, $30 - $50. If fully CLA'ed (above plus mirror box lubed and adjusted, shutter adjusted, meter speeds adjusted, any corrosion/loose wires cleaned/repaired, etc.), perhaps $100-$125 to the right buyer, if in great cosmetic condition. The CLA costs about $70, so net is still $30 - $50. There are so many MESupers out there that prices have dropped dramatically in the last year. Best viewfinder in the film camera league, though.

A35~105/3.5 in EX condition optically and mechanically and allowing some slight useage marks, $130 - $150. I paid $129 retail for mine with perfect glass, but it has a "tight" filter ring and the 2-touch zoom is a bit stiff (common for this lens).
09-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
You know a full CLA is overkill, but buying a seals-kit from Jon Goodman and applying it will set you back 10 bucks and adds a lot of value to the camera

Instructions here: http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/seal/Pentax_ME.pdf
Right.

Basically.....an ME Super body on ebay probably averages under $30,a bit more with the 50 mm on it. The Stuck Mirror thing is rather common and a non working ME Super is maybe $5-10 Given that price range, a seals kit and some gentle Q Tip work...is about as far as I'd tend to go. You can "read between the lines" on ebay, the LOW price is often the bulk "estate sale" buyer,or the guy who's dad died and left a camera in the closet. Often this buyer can barely describe the camera or say it works at ALL. There's ALSO tricksters who will claim ignorance on an As-Is when they KNOW its DOA. Many DO mean well.

I bought a Super + winder + zoom and a vaguely described macro lens all for $50 plus. The Super...dead. Winder...dead. The zoom was a good Vivitar,I think 28-135 and I got maybe $35 for it...but the poorly described macro was the 100 4.0 Pentax K Macro which runs about $100 on ebay......

So......I could not bitch about the dead Super.

My experiance is that if I'm buying to resell....I skip the ME Super (too many busted ones) and look for P3 and P3N. They make a great starter/student camera and somehow seem always in good functional shape.

09-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got an ME Super over the weekend with a stuck mirror. You know the phrase..."just hit it a little and it'll work"?

Well anyway..."dry shot" about 90 frames and couldn't replicate the issue