Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #1

Help pricing a Pentax H2

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and was hoping I could get some help from the collective knowledge available.

I have a Pentax H2 screw mount camera (all black body), a 50mm 1:2 Auto-Takumar lens, a Vivitar Automatic Tele Converter, and two 135mm 1:3.5 Takumar lenses. The two 135mms have their original hard cases, and the camera has its original strap and case. Everything works (I shoot 35mm a lot, I've run film through it and the shutter speeds are correct, referenced off my hand held LM). It was my gradnpa's old camera, he bought it new and gave it to me a few years back. I have 5 other 35mms something has to go and this is the one I use the least.

I just finished grad school for photography, and I'm getting rid of stuff to upgrade my other equipment. Can anyone give me a ballpark as to how much this whole kit should sell for. I've fumbled around on E-bay, but its all over the place and there aren't any kits like this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I want to get this stuff sold but I don't want to undersell or end up never selling 'cus my price is too high.

Thank you all, in advance!

09-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For starters, although it is less convenient for you, you will come out better parting out your kit. Check out "sold" listings in the marketplace here and completed auctions on ebay to get a better ballpark of what each part is worth. You could always start by trying to sell your stuff in the marketplace here and unload whatever doesn't sell on ebay.

If you run an ad here, you will need a very thorough description of the condition of each item as well as a photo or two if possible. Not only will your stuff most likely sell easier, but you will in variably be asked for those things prior to purchase.
09-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks a bunch, I'll do that!
09-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
old camera

I would keep it. I have two of my fathers cameras that would be amongst the last I would sell and I have hundreds. Just like my Grandfathers rifle, it would be the last I would sell.

09-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter

If you sell the black H2 body, keep the Auto-Tak 55mm f2 with the body because they are a matched set. However, if it were my grandfather's, I wouldn't sell it. I might the 135mm lenses. Are the pre-set or auto-taks?
09-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If you sell the black H2 body, keep the Auto-Tak 55mm f2 with the body because they are a matched set. However, if it were my grandfather's, I wouldn't sell it. I might the 135mm lenses. Are the pre-set or auto-taks?
Me either. Unless it was to me.

I agree as to matched set. That is a nice 55mm too.

Seaain
09-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Anyone who would sell their grandfather's heirloom camera has a hole where their heart belongs.

Have you ever considered that it may have been a great joy to him to have a granddaughter with a love of photography and to be able to pass along to her some of his gear?

Try asking him, "Would you have given this to me if you thought it would mean nothing whatsover to me and that I would just sell it to raise some cash for some modern soulless plastic marvel?"

At least have enough heart to ask the guy if he wants his stuff back. He may have some other young relative who would actually appreciate an heirloom from him. I'm sure you'll be able to charge him for it, so you'll still be able to update your stuff.

I hope that there will come a day when you develop a soul and end up with permanent bruises on your rear end from perpetually kicking yourself for having failed to appreciate the true value and nature of the gift, one that can't be expressed in dollars.

I don't know what the going price for such a kit would be. The old standard rate for betrayal was thirty pieces of silver, but you have to adjust that for a couple thousand years of inflation.

09-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Anyone who would sell their grandfather's heirloom camera has a hole where their heart belongs.

Have you ever considered that it may have been a great joy to him to have a granddaughter with a love of photography and to be able to pass along to her some of his gear?

Try asking him, "Would you have given this to me if you thought it would mean nothing whatsover to me and that I would just sell it to raise some cash for some modern soulless plastic marvel?"

At least have enough heart to ask the guy if he wants his stuff back. He may have some other young relative who would actually appreciate an heirloom from him. I'm sure you'll be able to charge him for it, so you'll still be able to update your stuff.

I hope that there will come a day when you develop a soul and end up with permanent bruises on your rear end from perpetually kicking yourself for having failed to appreciate the true value and nature of the gift, one that can't be expressed in dollars.

I don't know what the going price for such a kit would be. The old standard rate for betrayal was thirty pieces of silver, but you have to adjust that for a couple thousand years of inflation.

That's a very judgemental summary. For all that you, I, or anybody else on here knows, the OP may have discussed this with the grandfather and he may have told them to go for it, or he may not care what happens with the gear.

Unless you were there, you're hardly in a position to make these sorts of comments
09-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter

How old are you carlb? I'm guessing in the 20s probably early or mid. Often people realize there treasures when they are gone. I'm talking about the grandfather and not the camera. I lost my g.f. 11 months ago. He was WWII vet and was an amazing man though humble on many levels. He got me into photography at a young age. While Mike came across heavy, I understand where he is coming from. It is odd to me and Mike that someone who just finished grad school for photography (what ever the hell that means) would part with their grandfathers black H2 is a bit outlandish.
09-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
How old are you carlb? I'm guessing in the 20s probably early or mid. Often people realize there treasures when they are gone. I'm talking about the grandfather and not the camera. I lost my g.f. 11 months ago. He was WWII vet and was an amazing man though humble on many levels. He got me into photography at a young age. While Mike came across heavy, I understand where he is coming from. It is odd to me and Mike that someone who just finished grad school for photography (what ever the hell that means) would part with their grandfathers black H2 is a bit outlandish.
I'm in my mid 40's if it's at all relevant (and all my grandparents and my father are dead as well). I resent the implication that I don't understand the value of lost relatives.

I also understand Mikes sentiments. I was pointing out that we don't know all of the background to this so we're not in a position to make these sorts of judgements.

Just my 2 cents worth, but I'm not making any more comments on this one.
09-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
. . I resent the implication that I don't understand the value of lost relatives.

. . .
There were no such implication so there is no need to resent anything and apologize if it came across that way. However, you seemed to imply every thing that was intended. She is a photographer that just finished graduate school and has a black H2 given to her grandfather that bought it new. I am betting that in 15 years, she would regret selling the H2 & 50mm aut-tak.
09-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I thought Mike's statements were a bit...heavy. She is not a 12-year-old saying she wants to invest in Holga stock, though there are probabably worse investments. Obviously she has evaluated her needs and was simply asking, as so many people do, how to best estimate the value of the equipment she has decided to sell. I trust that she has done the requisite soul-searching and did not feel that it was necessary to post her findings here.
09-09-2009, 02:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
That's a very judgemental summary.
I'm not one of the modern touchy-feely types who lives in fear of being considered judgmental.

You're damned right I'm judgmental.
09-09-2009, 03:09 AM   #14
Banned

no way in hell would I ever sell such an heirloom...
11-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Stephanie Quote
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and was hoping I could get some help from the collective knowledge available.

I have a Pentax H2 screw mount camera (all black body), a 50mm 1:2 Auto-Takumar lens, a Vivitar Automatic Tele Converter, and two 135mm 1:3.5 Takumar lenses. The two 135mms have their original hard cases, and the camera has its original strap and case. Everything works (I shoot 35mm a lot, I've run film through it and the shutter speeds are correct, referenced off my hand held LM). It was my gradnpa's old camera, he bought it new and gave it to me a few years back. I have 5 other 35mms something has to go and this is the one I use the least.

I just finished grad school for photography, and I'm getting rid of stuff to upgrade my other equipment. Can anyone give me a ballpark as to how much this whole kit should sell for. I've fumbled around on E-bay, but its all over the place and there aren't any kits like this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I want to get this stuff sold but I don't want to undersell or end up never selling 'cus my price is too high.

Thank you all, in advance!
Hi Stephanie,do you still have the black H2?? I collect heiland Pentaxes having 12 and would be interested in this item with lens,that is if you still want to part with it. I am 70 yrs old so it would not be for resale but cherished.Regards