Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ektar 1000

I just bought a Spotmatic online for a lens that was packaged with it. I started looking over the camera to decide if I would keep or resell it. After clicking at random stuff through the different speeds, it seems to be in really nice shape other than a dead meter which always points up.

Anyways to the point, after 10-15 clicks, I opened it up to check out the backside to see that there was still film in this thing. I quickly read EKTAR 1000 and shut the door. At this point the counter says about 20 exposures have been taken. I attempt the sunny 16 to use up the last few exposures. Do you think there is any chance of this stuff still being good? I'm curious if there was anything interesting on the first part of the roll from the original owner. I don't have interest in someone else's family snapshots, but I don't see that kind of stuff being taken on ISO 1000 film. From what I've read, Ektar 1000 hasn't been produced for at least a decade, it wasn't really all that stable to begin with and there's no date on the canister to know if it was a late roll or not.

Was this a special use film where there might be some really interesting shots on it that survived the time and the camera being opened up? From what I've read, I'm thinking no, but I'm still curious what's on there. Think its worth $5 to have a CD made?

09-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Ektar 1000 was made before (I believe) 1994. It was a VERY sensitive film and subject to rapid degradation even at the expiration date. If it's been in that camera that long, I would be surprised if you get anything from it at all.

CW