Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Some of the vintage Exaktas including the Exakta Varex had the film and shutter release on the left side. The film was fed from right to left as well meaning the cartridge was operated upside down.
Yep, my VX is this way. They are interesting and quirky cameras.

09-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Yep, my VX is this way. They are interesting and quirky cameras.
I think if I wanted to collect cameras for the sake of collecting, it might be Exactas I went for. Quirky, indeed.

Of course, that's partly cause Alpas are ...well. Rich for even my imaginary blood.
10-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I picked up a Vivitar PG-1 complete with threaded trigger and a medium format base instead of the 35mm one at a camera show today. It's massive but very comfortable and well balanced for left handed use if you don't mind a bit of extra weight. As an added bonus the flash cold shoe on it rotates which means that my 285HV collection just gained another degree of freedom for bouncing.
10-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I picked up a Vivitar PG-1 complete with threaded trigger and a medium format base instead of the 35mm one at a camera show today. It's massive but very comfortable and well balanced for left handed use if you don't mind a bit of extra weight. As an added bonus the flash cold shoe on it rotates which means that my 285HV collection just gained another degree of freedom for bouncing.
Cool. If you use 285HV's a lot, maybe you could check out a PPG-1, doubles the battery power. They may be a bit harder to find with the cord, though.

Glad you like the PG-1, though. I might suggest you try a nice padded strap, worn a bit short, to keep some of the strain off that elbow.

10-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

@RML - I'm not the guy with the bad elbow, I'm not even left handed. I just like the option of having both right and left hand releases on my camera and happened to find a (actually several) cheap PG-1. I thought I'd add an endorsement for that particular grip now that I've tried it in person.

If I'm feeling adventurous I'll solder up a 2 stage button with a stereo connector and set it up in the grip's trigger slot thereby adding a 3rd wired release option for when I'm using the digital body.
10-05-2009, 04:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
If I'm feeling adventurous I'll solder up a 2 stage button with a stereo connector and set it up in the grip's trigger slot thereby adding a 3rd wired release option for when I'm using the digital body.
You could try the Ownuser battery grip on digital. It has a left and right shutter button.

Thank you
Russell
10-05-2009, 04:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I'm a little confused as to what this Vivitar PG-1 and PPG-1 grip is or fits on? Any photos or links as to what it is or does?

Thank you
Russell

10-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Kiev 6C. it's a 6x6 so it's not necessary to choose the framing
I have it, I love it (such a nice piece of a cannon), and it has the shutter release on the left side.
strange enough, it has the film lever on the right side. it's very odd to use it tho'. load the film with right hand, put the right hand under the lens and the left pointing finger on the shutter release.
11-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #24

Mamiya vs Pentax

QuoteQuote:
The Mamiya ZE-X was released in 1981 and had an optional left handed shutter release. Ron Herron has a picture of one in his collection. Mamiya Z-Series 35mm Cameras
It's true, Mamiya offered this, but frankly:

If you are used to Pentax build quality, you won't be thrilled by the Mamyias...

I have/had a ZE-2 and ZE-4, not bad cameras, but much less rugged and solid than a ME Super or Super A!

And the left hand set should be really hard to find!!!

But the Ricoh XR-X/XR-M with K-Bayonet offers the facility to set the delay of the self-timer to 0 seconds and the self timer start button is pressed with the left forefinger. Setting to 0 means, the shutter fires immidiately.

Another possibility might be the Pentax Flash Grip for the AF 400 T plus a cable release...

Last edited by Vranx; 05-04-2010 at 05:54 AM. Reason: found new information