Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ME Super Dead? No meter lights

Hello -

I bought it for the lenses, but wanted to give it a spin. Alas! Even with fresh batteries my "new" ME Super SE just fires at 1/125, with no meter reading or auto function. I moved all the dials around, and confirmed the batteries worked in another camera. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Nick

09-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #2

I know it's silly, but are the batteries in the right way?
Also, is there any sign of impact damage? I dropped my ME Super from a height of around 3 feet onto a concrete floor (yikes!!! get straps for your cameras, kiddies!) and the switch was damaged, making it inoperable on manual and finicky on Auto, and something like that could have happened here.
09-23-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could also take a close look at the contact surface in the battery compartment. On several cameras I have had to clean and scrape the surfaces for the batteries to get contact.
09-24-2009, 04:03 AM   #4

Along the same line as the battery compartment, I bought an MX that was dead. I removed the bottom plate- 3 screws (over towel so they don't bounce away)- and found the battery end of the camera had corrosion not visible from the battery compartment. Possibly sweat from a hand over the years?

I'm not sure what was wrong and what fixed it. Maybe the ground connection was weak? Anyway, I wiped things down, a little alcohol, a little pencil eraser to rub some random metal pieces. Put the plate back on, reinstalled batteries, and I now have an MX with working meter for $20.

09-25-2009, 04:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks guys! I did try thebatteries both ways, and the compartment looks clean. But maybe I will take the bottom plate off, just to see how it looks.