Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-30-2007, 03:00 PM   #1

Z-1/PZ-1 vs. Z-1p/PZ-1p - differences?

OK. I searched the archives and got 0 (zero) hits, so . . . newbie questions below.

It's obvious that the Z-1p/PZ-1p succeeded the Z-1/PZ-1 so we can assume Pentax made incremental improvements.

Looking at Bojidar's main table the only differences I see are that the Z-1/PZ-1 has an extra Exposure Mode -- "M" and a slower winder -- 3 vs. 4 FPS.

The detail page tells us that the built-in flash on the older models covered only 35mm vs. 28 on the newer and lacked red-eye reduction.

Also, the newer models have 2-second mirror pre-fire, panorama format and 15custom functions. The Z-1/PZ-1 lack those features but oddly enough have 18 custom functions.

There are some other minor differences; the ones above seem to be the biggies.

When I use flash, I usually use a separate one so those differences are not very important. The lack of mirror lock-up on the Z-1/PZ-1 does concern me because it's a feature I use a lot on other cameras. I'm surprised that Pentax left it off, but they didn't ask me, so . . .

This bit of analysis is prompted by the fact that I can get a PZ-1 for what seems a decent price -- US$120 in "EX+" condition. I notice the newer models typically fetch a lot more and suspect there are reasons for that.

Any advice/experiences with these models will be appreciated!

TIA!/Scottax1

05-31-2007, 02:37 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by scottax1 Quote
OK. I searched the archives and got 0 (zero) hits, so . . . newbie questions below.

It's obvious that the Z-1p/PZ-1p succeeded the Z-1/PZ-1 so we can assume Pentax made incremental improvements.

Looking at Bojidar's main table the only differences I see are that the Z-1/PZ-1 has an extra Exposure Mode -- "M" and a slower winder -- 3 vs. 4 FPS.

The detail page tells us that the built-in flash on the older models covered only 35mm vs. 28 on the newer and lacked red-eye reduction.

Also, the newer models have 2-second mirror pre-fire, panorama format and 15custom functions. The Z-1/PZ-1 lack those features but oddly enough have 18 custom functions.

There are some other minor differences; the ones above seem to be the biggies.

When I use flash, I usually use a separate one so those differences are not very important. The lack of mirror lock-up on the Z-1/PZ-1 does concern me because it's a feature I use a lot on other cameras. I'm surprised that Pentax left it off, but they didn't ask me, so . . .

This bit of analysis is prompted by the fact that I can get a PZ-1 for what seems a decent price -- US$120 in "EX+" condition. I notice the newer models typically fetch a lot more and suspect there are reasons for that.

Any advice/experiences with these models will be appreciated!

TIA!/Scottax1
both the non p and the with p are good but I bet if you were patient you could come up with an acceptable deal on a with p model and then not have to think about that extra frame, or that mirror lock-up.
05-31-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Scott,

Both versions are good. But I would say go with the Z-1P. Given our earlier off-line conversation, I think that you will need the MLU and Pentax functions. That's why I originally bought my Z-1P instead of a plain Z-1.

-G
06-01-2007, 03:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
Yep. MLU seems a rare commodity in the Pentax world, at least on 'modern' bodies.

06-03-2007, 08:14 AM   #5
Inactive Account

The Z1 has an intervalator while the Z1p doesn't, the Z1ps AF switch requires more force to move, and the AF logic is updated in the Z1p, both though are fantastic cameras.
08-27-2007, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

I think that Panoramic doesn't have any value for me.
If I remember well Pentax Z1 has a timer which gives the ability of programming auto captures in 24 hours. I also think that Pentax Z1 has an input/output that Pentax Z1p doesn't have.