Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Just bought a bulk loader and...

I have no idea what emulsion is inside. There's about 90ft of it left, according to the reel counter. I pulled out the small tab of film in the "loading dock", and there's nothing on it to give any sort of info.

My question is:

How should I proceed from this point? Should I grab some canisters and develop one in B&W process, and one in C41? I'd rather not mess up a minilab's chemistry, and I don't know anyone with a home-based C41 lab, but I'm hesitant to give a short roll to my gf to bring into class to develop, as her teacher tends to micro-manage.

10-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Assume it is B/W. Develope a short strip and see if it works. Most of the B/W films I am familiar with are on either a clear, or purpleish base. If it developes, then you should be able to see what type of film it is, ie speed and make.

If it is c-41 process, you might still be able to read the film make and type on the film's edge. It might be faint, but it might still show.

Most colour films have an orange base. If the film comes out with faint lettering, and an orange base, I would assume it to be C-41, and at this point I would take it to my one hour photo.
10-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

The emulsion is on the inside of the roll.
You can tell easily which side is the emulsion side by putting the end of the film between your nearly dry lips. The emulsion side will stick.
10-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, Wheatfield, I know which side of the film is which, I just don't know what specific type of film it is.

KungPOW hit the nail on the head and I'll give his recommendation a shot, but thank you for your reply!

10-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The emulsion is on the inside of the roll.
You can tell easily which side is the emulsion side by putting the end of the film between your nearly dry lips. The emulsion side will stick.
B/W tastes like licorice, colour like neopoliton
10-25-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Try chucking an unexposed six in strip in black and white chemicals. The edge labels should show up (ie, "ILFORD DELTA 400" or "EKTACHROME".)
10-25-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

win

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
B/W tastes like licorice, colour like neopoliton
10char....

10-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The film always curves toward the emulson side.

Don't eat the film. It is not FDA approved.

Mickey