Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #1

two questions: k1000 metering, multiple exposures on which pentax

A bit of background: I love my K1000, but it annoys me in two ways- first is that the metering seems rather buggy. Occasionally when I pick it up first time in the day it will under-meter (like, in bulb mode at 100 it shows less than full). Then, after a few minutes of sitting around with the lens cap off it will "snap" into full power and meter accurately for a while (at least the rest of the day, sometimes the next few days). This behavior is consistent even when I switch to a fresh battery, and whether I have the shutter cocked or not. Any ideas?

The second thing is that I like to do multiple exposures a lot. This works on the K1000 by using the film release button while cocking the shutter, but in the end it throws the spacing all off (which really confuses 1-hour photo scanning machines) and wastes film. Is there a similar pentax film camera that is built for multiple exposures? I'd like something with similar build quality (tank-like, but not huge).

11-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As for the meter, it could be on its last legs, or there could be a loose wire.

The easy check for loose wires that you could fix yourself, is to open the bottom plate, and have a look. Anything loose? then re-solder.

Past that I would recomend sending the camera in for a CLA. Many of us here use Eric Hendrickson. Home

As for the multi-exposure, in the mechanical bodies, I only know of the LX. It is able to index every shot (the manual says to .2mm) so that you can actually rewind back to any frame, take the double exposure, and then forward the film to where you left off. Its a neat feature.
The LX is as tank like as the K1000, but it will cost allot more to CLA. About $220 vs $65.

As for electronic bodies that allow for multiple exposure, I am onlt familiar with teh PZ-1p. It allows you to dial in how many shots you want to layer onto a frame. I don't think it allows the user to role back to any frame like the LX. I would expect other electronic bodies allow multiple exposure. I just don't know which ones.
11-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. The LX looks awesome, I'll put it on my wishlist.

Getting a CLA seems like a good idea though.
11-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you like to do multiple exposures, find a Chinon CE-4/CE-4s or Ricoh XR-7 (there must be others but I don't know). They have dedicated set up for multiple exposures, use PK mount, are small and inexpensive.

11-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
If you like to do multiple exposures, find a Chinon CE-4/CE-4s or Ricoh XR-7 (there must be others but I don't know). They have dedicated set up for multiple exposures, use PK mount, are small and inexpensive.
Wow, those are cheap. I think I'll have to get one. Thanks for the suggestion!
11-03-2009, 04:37 AM   #6
Inactive Account

You know that little button on the base you hold in to rewind the film (I think it's technical moniker is "rewind button")?

If you want to do a multi-exposure, take the first exposure, push in the rewind button, wind the film on, then take the second exposure.

The rewind button disengages the film gears from the wind-on on lever - which keeps the film going in one direction only: from left to right. The shutter mechanism is separate from the film train, so the shutter still gets re-cocked.

Other than that, get a Chinon, which is probably better all around. The Chinon CG-5 is an excellent K-mount camera; I love mine. It's got a little tab in front of the advance lever's hub you hold in with your shutter finger while winding to disengage the film train, and thus do multi-exposures. Chinon's are vastly underrated cameras, in my opinion.
11-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah, that's the technique I use. The problem is that when you wind it again after your second exposure it doesn't catch right away, and only advances about a half frame. So you have to take a blank shot and wind it again in order to clear the frame. This wastes film and throws off 1-hour photo machines since the spacing is off.