Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
MX lightmeter?

I was debating whether i should make a new thread for this, but i seriously can't find alot of information on the MX's light-meter.

I've heard it's in the form of an LED display, opposed to the needle design i'm used to in my cousins spotmatic.

What kind of LED display is it though? How accurate is it? Does it constantly refresh itself? Does anyone have a shot of the inside of the viewfinder?
[by accurate i mean what EV steps does it display, +/-0.5 stop i'm assuming.]

I guess i can just see for myself when mine arrives, but i'm just oh so curious!

11-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/MX_01.pdf
11-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't do better than the manual on depicting the system, but can say it works very well.

To activate it you pull the winder lever a small way away from the body and half press the shutter. It will now stay on and change according to the subject light until you push the lever back to the body (if I remember correctly)
11-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

the selected shutter speed is shown in the viewfinder and everytime you rotate the shutter speed dial, if you are within the EV range of the LED's, then it will light up.

iirc the crappy thing is that if you're totally over or totally under the display shows the same thing.

i found that the shutter speed ring on the MX is rather stiff and difficult to use

11-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote
I was debating whether i should make a new thread for this, but i seriously can't find alot of information on the MX's light-meter.

I've heard it's in the form of an LED display, opposed to the needle design i'm used to in my cousins spotmatic.

What kind of LED display is it though? How accurate is it? Does it constantly refresh itself? Does anyone have a shot of the inside of the viewfinder?

I guess i can just see for myself when mine arrives, but i'm just oh so curious!
Pentax-Manuals.com has a very nice color scan of the MX Manual. MX Manual - the password is "Pentax" The shutter speed indication is a clear wheel with the next speed above and below your selection visible. The aperture is visible in a window above the viewfinder. Exposure reading is a centered LED for correct exposure, with two LED's above and below to indicate over/under exposure.

Once you get accustomed to it, the viewfinder information is complete, but differs from the intuitive display we know in analog viewfinders.
11-06-2009, 07:44 PM   #6

Just to add to the working of the meter on the MX- when the wind lever is pressed tight to the body, the meter is turned off *unless* you press lightly on the shutter. A light press will turn the meter on, and letting go will turn the meter off.

As a left-eyed person who prefers the lever tucked in instead of poking into my right eyeball, I appreciate this option!
11-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PNTXFTW12 Quote

Although I don't own this camera myself, playing with one or two similar models in the shop, and with similar displays in models I do own, leads me to suspect this type of display, while novel and exciting in its day, is definitely inferior to the match-needle type in point of visibility in bright lighting/bright side-lighting conditions. That is, given bright light competing with the view from the finder, the LED display will be hard to see and to read. A rubber eye-piece cup would be a distinct advantage.

11-09-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From experience I can tell that there are no visibility issues with the MX's LED's. Unlike, for example, the ZX-5N, where the display is difficult/impossible to see in strong light.
11-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Though the MX has an accurate meter the 5 LED display and shutter speed readout is definitely an acquired taste.

Chris
11-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
From experience I can tell that there are no visibility issues with the MX's LED's. Unlike, for example, the ZX-5N, where the display is difficult/impossible to see in strong light.
Ditto that

MX got the best viewfinder imo, the LED lights are very easy to view no matter under bright or dim light condition. The only thing I'd complain about is the small speed dial, which is like k100d said, not easy to turn.
11-10-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Though the MX has an accurate meter the 5 LED display and shutter speed readout is definitely an acquired taste.

And I was never able to acquire it. So I sold mine. Like another poster here, I also found the shutter speed dial very stiff to use.

I didn't enjoy the MX anywhere near as much as a lot of people seem to.
11-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I also found the shutter speed dial very stiff to use.
The MX is a great camera but IMO suffers from over-miniaturization.
The shutter speed dial is crowded too close to the pentaprism - I can't get my fingers in there.

Fortunately once broken-in, the shutter speed dial can be turned easily from the front
with just the tip of right index finger, a very short trip from the shutter release.

Chris