Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Blue Moon has 127 Bluefire Murano (made in Canada!) in stock:
Used and New Cameras and Equipment for Sale: Blue Moon Camera Inventory
There are times when I think that the Portland area (where I live) must be one of the centers of the alt photog universe. It is not unusual to see people shooting street with 70s Japanese rangefinders. We have a couple of stores that reliably have selection of large format gear. I know a couple who shoot weddings with a combination of film cameras including a Holiday Brownie from the early 1960s (yes, it takes 127 film bought from Blue Moon).

Steve
I think all of the Pacific North West is like that, adding Seattle & Vancouver to the list.

In Seattle and Vancouver I’ve seen more film shooters, traditional labs & used camera stores than anywhere else.

Must be the rain!

Phil

01-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #107
Inactive Account

i lie in ohio.when people see you using film they ask "you still use film? what's wrong with you?".i'm so glad i found this place.
01-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #108

Well, the camera used ended with "tax", but not a Pentax for this; my last image taken with my last roll of Kodachrome 64. I got the slides and scans on CD back today. This is straight from the CD, no PP. Exposure was one second or longer, according to the last reading I noted on the display.

Interior of Washington National Cathedral photo - Richard Tyner photos at pbase.com
Attached Images

01-15-2011, 01:53 AM   #109
Veteran Member

For those who still have a few rolls of Kodachrome left ... It looks like some people have started up another "impossible" project much like the Polaroid project.

K-Lab Kodachrome Processing after Dec. 30, 2010 - kodachromeproject.com Forums

01-15-2011, 07:38 AM   #110

That was interesting reading. No doubt the dedication is there, now if they can get the chemicals. I do hope it works!
01-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Life after Kodachrome

This thread is a tribute to Kodachrome and I too am sorry to see it go.
It was by far my most often used transparency film since the mid-1970's.

Some good news I have recently learned is that modern E6 emulsions are actually
more archival than Kodachrome when processed using best practices.
Modern E6 slides should outlast your old Kodachromes (and you) in both light and
dark storage. Link: Documentation here

Now that Kodachrome is gone, will you continue to shoot slides?
If so, what film do you plan to replace it with and why?

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 02-06-2011 at 04:24 PM.
01-16-2011, 03:28 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
This thread is a tribute to Kodachrome and I too am sorry to see it go.
It was by far my most often used transparency film since the mid-1970's.

Some good news I have recently learned is that modern E6 emulsions are actually
more archival than Kodachrome when processed using best practices.
Modern E6 slides should outlast your old Kodachromes (and you) in both light and
dark storage. Link: Documentation here

Now that Kodachrome is gone, will you continue to shoot slides?
If so, what film do you plan to replace it with and why?

Chris
Yep I will stick to slides until I give up photography, for me they are way easier to view and store than negatives.

For b&w I’ll stick with Fomapan R100 and for colour I’m going back to Kodak Ektachrome E100G, after a two Fuji trial. I prefer Ektachrome to Velvia and as you mentioned Ektachrome also has great achievable capabilities & is the closest to Kodachrome. For faster slide film I will stay with Fuji Provia 400X, as Kodak does not have an equivalent.

Phil.

01-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #113
Veteran Member

I ended up getting my 2 rolls in on the last day. They said it'll be another 2-3 weeks before they ship, as of middle of last week. I got my DSLR slider copier setup ready for it to show up so I can post.

As for what I'll replace it with (only ever shot the 2 rolls), I liked the results I got from Velvia 50, more so than Ektachrome (seemed to have less of a distinct character), but that's obviously not suitable for everything. I need to try some of the 400-speed portrait films out there, especially in 120 size.

I have almost a full brick of expired 135 Elite Chrome that I got for super cheap, so I'll burn through that and cross-process some of it in the mean-time.
01-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fixcinater Quote
I ended up getting my 2 rolls in on the last day. They said it'll be another 2-3 weeks before they ship, as of middle of last week. I got my DSLR slider copier setup ready for it to show up so I can post. ...
If it helps, mine arrived at Dwayne's on the 28th, and I just received them yesterday. How well does the slide copier work for you?
01-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #115
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
If it helps, mine arrived at Dwayne's on the 28th, and I just received them yesterday. How well does the slide copier work for you?
I got 3 rolls to them at 7 am on the last day. I got an email Friday telling me they were shipped!
02-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #116
Veteran Member

I got my 2 rolls yesterday in the mail.

The DSLR + slide copier works pretty well, especially for web use. I've printed a couple 8x10s using traditional b&w darkroom tools, and 8x10 digital to compare, and it looks pretty darn close...but it's still obviously digitized.

I can't afford any scanner better than a cheapo flat-bed, so it's the best I've got.
02-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #117
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rt22306 Quote
The link to my image on Pbase is actually one of the better jobs of scanning that I've gotten back (image isn't that sharp...probably from that lens I got for $5 as a Ritz Camera was closing). I plan to try another lab for scans, and if not too great will try to budget for a scanner
in the new year. Scans of Ektachrome too from a place are blah, also. Slides bright, sharp but the scans...

I've had the idea also of buying a slide copier attachment, and shoot the best slides onto print
(or digital if I can find a good match).
I use a K-7 with a Pentax Auto Bellows K with the slide copier attachment to "scan" negatives and slides. It works well and is much faster than scanning.
02-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #118
Inactive Account

I got 18 rolls of Kodachrome back last week. I didn't send them in until I thought it was too late, but apparently Dwayne's actually kept the machines running well into January.

LX + FA 31mm Ltd. + Kodachrome 25

LX + FA 31mm Ltd. + Kodachrome 64

LX + FA 31mm Ltd. + Kodachrome 200

02-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I got 18 rolls of Kodachrome back last week. I didn't send them in until I thought it was too late, but apparently Dwayne's actually kept the machines running well into January.

LX + FA 31mm Ltd. + Kodachrome 25

LX + FA 31mm Ltd. + Kodachrome 200

Nice! Maybe Dwayne's will keep on processing Kodachrome until they run out of the chemicals!

Phil.