Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Trying to date my SPII

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

List members,
I've been all over the internet trying to date my Honeywell SPII. I think I have a '71 model, but I am not for sure. I have "guestimates" in that regard, because I have found cameras with serial numbers higher than mine here and there, with later production dates mentioned in the description.

In any case, my serial number is 5007825. If anyone can give me a definite heads up on this one, that would be great!

This camera is in great shape, and I am going to run some film through it this week to see how everything works. The seals are bad on the mirror box and along the door, so I will need to get a kit to fix that problem. The lens is a silky smooth SMC Takumar 55 f2. Shutter sounds great, w/o any wrinkles in the curtain etc.

My favorite camera to shoot with is a late '60's vintage Ricoh TLS, also with a M42 mount. So I look forward to adding this camera to the lineup.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

11-08-2009, 04:31 AM   #2

Mine is S/N 5647253. From 1071 too. Immaculate. Inherited from mt father with a bunch of lenses.
11-08-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Ingram Quote
List members,
I've been all over the internet trying to date my Honeywell SPII.
I've been doing the same thing, but I want to date Jessica Alba.
So far I haven't had any luck.
11-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think you're carrying your love affair with cameras a bit too far. I know of what I speak. In my inexperienced younger days, I made a misguided attempt to date a comely Zeiss Ikonta 35..... Crystal clear sparkling glass revealing an oil-free snappy aperture response to die for. I received a negative response though, as she just couldn't picture us together. I moved on, & eventually realized it was probably for the best. You, on the other hand, may find it a little more difficult to deal with, as you're living together under the same roof. You might want to consider trading her in for a male, or at least a less appealing female..... Good Luck.

Last edited by raymeedc; 11-08-2009 at 01:07 PM.
11-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So me and the SPII went out on our first "date" today. The camera needs new light seals, but everything else worked smoothly. I will develop the film and make sure the exposures look good. Focus scale is accurate when compared to another camera.

There is, however, a black line in the pentaprism. Looks like some of the mirror material has flaked off in a black line. It is barely visible when focusing the camera, but if you view the eyepiece a foot or so away it is clear as a bell. There is a black body SPII on Ebay right now with the same problem. I was wondering if this was a sign of old age in these cameras?

thanks,
steve