Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-1000 Hot Shoe Question

Is the flash hot shoe on the K-1000 powered at all by the camera battery?

I have an old Focal DA-200S-CH flash that tests fine, but does not flash when I try it in the shoe with a 400ASA / 60 /f8 setting.

I know the camera battery needs replaced, but am curious to know if it even powers the shoe.

Help & advice? I hadn't touched the camera in over 20 years until this week, so am sort of starting out new.

Thanks

11-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robieusa Quote
Is the flash hot shoe on the K-1000 powered at all by the camera battery?

I have an old Focal DA-200S-CH flash that tests fine, but does not flash when I try it in the shoe with a 400ASA / 60 /f8 setting.

I know the camera battery needs replaced, but am curious to know if it even powers the shoe.

Help & advice? I hadn't touched the camera in over 20 years until this week, so am sort of starting out new.

Thanks

The hotshoe is not usually powered at all. It is merely a switch. When you trip the shutter, the switch closes momentarily, triggering the flash.

You say that the flash tests okay. By that, I assume that you are using the on-flash test button. Try shorting the contacts on the flash's shoe. It may be that the shoe on the flash is bad. If shorting the contacts does not cause the flash to fire, then the flash shoe is bad. If it does fire, your problem is probably in the camera.

I'm not sure how to test the camera hotshoe, other than by using another, known-good flash unit. If the flash has an optional PC cord, you might try using that.
11-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If the camera needs the battery replaced start there.
Since most cameras I know of use their battery up faster while using flash my guess is that it uses some battery power to trigger the flash.
11-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
Inactive Account

The K1000 does not need a battery to fire the flash. The battery is only used for the meter circuit. I use them without a battery at all for astro work.

11-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Since most cameras I know of use their battery up faster while using flash my guess is that it uses some battery power to trigger the flash.
You're talking about camera with built-in flash.

As stated, the only thing using battery in the K1000 is the light meter. Other than that, the camera is fully mechanical. It doesn't need battery to function.
11-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, the hot shoe is not really hot at all...

Steve
11-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep, the hot shoe is not really hot at all...

Steve
We should call it a "warm-shoe."

And yes, the K1000 should be able to trip the flash without a battery. As a poster said above, short the flash or use it on another camera, and test the camera with known good flash to determine what's wrong.

11-26-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
short the flash ???

OK. So, how do I short the flash? Pretend that you're explaining it to a 3-year-old.
Again,, it's been about 20 years since I have touched a camera. Lots of knowledge has evaporated.

I am planning to take the camera in to the shop next week for a clean-up & check-up... but knowing how to test the flash will be helpful knowledge.

Thanks
11-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Shorting the flash

QuoteOriginally posted by robieusa Quote
short the flash ???

OK. So, how do I short the flash? Pretend that you're explaining it to a 3-year-old.
Again,, it's been about 20 years since I have touched a camera. Lots of knowledge has evaporated.

I am planning to take the camera in to the shop next week for a clean-up & check-up... but knowing how to test the flash will be helpful knowledge.

Thanks

The contacts on the flash hotshoe consist of two connections. One is the center pin, which is easily visible in the center of the hotshoe. The second is a little bit hidden. In one or both of the two slots on the sides of the flash hotshoe, look closely and you will see a metal piece. This contacts the metal lip on the side of the camera hotshoe and forms the second connection.

Simply take a piece of wire or a straightened out paper clip and short the center pin to the side connector. This is what the camera does, and will make the flash go off, if the hotshoe is working properly.

If the flash does not fire, you may be able to remove the hotshoe and re-solder the wires that connect the internal circuitry of the flash to the hotshoe. I'm not familiar with your particular flash, but most of the flashes from that era are similar.

Its safe and easy. Good luck.