Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dream on, pal...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Check out the price on this K1000:

VINTAGE Asahi Pentax K1000 K 1000 35mm SLR Film Camera on eBay.ca (item 390121360541 end time 21-Dec-09 00:11:36 EST)

11-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes....but it's "VINTAGE"...and as it states it was popular "The Pentax K1000 eventually sold over three million units." With so many available..it must be worth more......lol
11-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Forum Member

why is it listed under lenses?

I never realised there was a seperate Canadian Ebay. Noooooooo... somewhere else to search!
11-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikengstrom Quote
why is it listed under lenses?

I never realised there was a seperate Canadian Ebay. Noooooooo... somewhere else to search!
Noooo...nothing here.....BC isn't close to Japan......no Asian influence here....not like there is a whack of Pentax gear in these parts....

11-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Wait till you see what some people ask for their gear on Craig's List Ebay tends to be better (fewer clueless people) because they can search for other listings and get a feel for the going prices.
11-20-2009, 11:36 PM   #6
Forum Member

Hey SMC, I live in New Zealand our local Auction site never has more than 50 listings for pentax lenses at one time and that includes lens caps and hoods. By comparision you guys are flooded with options.
11-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

what? after 600 dollar for an MX in Australia -check the thread- and now this..?

11-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
Forum Member

at least it is in good condition!

pentax mv 1 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

check out the rock on the rear element
11-21-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hey Gabriel. I think I spoiled you by pointing out that $100 K2 bundle on Craigslist! Now everything looks expensive
11-21-2009, 01:01 AM   #10
Inactive Account

at least it is in good condition!

pentax mv 1 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

check out the rock on the rear element
It's barely suitable as a door stop!
11-21-2009, 01:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Never fear, you needn't search anywhere else. It's not really separate - Ebay just looks at whether the seller or buyer limit restrict their auctions / searches to only other folks from their own country, and use that to decide which site(s) the item should appear on.

Here's the exact same auction on Ebay US as an example (it's a US auction, the seller lists their location as in NY):

All I did to get it was change ".ca" to ".com" in the URL. To demonstrate further, here it is for the UK, India, and Poland.

:-)
11-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #12

I'll give them £10 for that MV 1 - it might clean up...
11-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They say there's one born every minute. Some of this overpriced crap sells. Really a rock on a lens....

This trumps the K1000. The camera is about double the cost of a new one and this is at least 7 x the original value. Dream on
11-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hey SMC, I live in New Zealand our local Auction site never has more than 50 listings for pentax lenses at one time and that includes lens caps and hoods. By comparision you guys are flooded with options.
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Never fear, you needn't search anywhere else. It's not really separate - Ebay just looks at whether the seller or buyer limit restrict their auctions / searches to only other folks from their own country, and use that to decide which site(s) the item should appear on.

Here's the exact same auction on Ebay US as an example (it's a US auction, the seller lists their location as in NY):

All I did to get it was change ".ca" to ".com" in the URL. To demonstrate further, here it is for the UK, India, and Poland.

:-)
This is true, but I have stopped using the "ca" site because I am in Canada. That sounds wonky, but there are two reasons;

The first is that the ebay search doesn't seem to always bring up all the listings it should from other sites. If I search the com site, it seems to do a good job of showing me the Canadian listings (since I am in Canada) and it brings up additional listing from the US that are set to ship worldwide that I would have missed otherwise.

The second reason is it will show listings not set to be offered in Canada (listed US only). If I decide that I would be prepared to buy/bid on the item, I send the owner of the listing to ask if he would consider shipping to Canada (unless his listing asks not to contact him/her from other countries). I've found that many will change their listing. I wouldn't have seen the item or had a chance to ask if I had used the ca site.

I have a feeling if I was to search other ebay sites, I would see listings only offered in those countries and could contact the owners there too.

I'm also exaggerating on the amount of Pentax gear here....we have a fairly small population, so per capita, Pentax has done very well here over the years, but it's not like the stuff is lying around all over the place.

Oh..one more thing on the CA site...shipping from Canada can be reasonable, but it depends on the shipping size/weight and the destination. Austrailia/New Zealand can be OK if the package is small and light but one you go over the limit, the prices get silly. Canada Post wanted over $150 to ship a lens I just sold to another forum member. Normally, for thta service and distance, I would expect $30 to $40. I ended up shipping for $20 but it's going to take 6 weeks. I felt quite bad about it.....

Back to the pricing issue.....seems to me that prices of older Pentax gear is going back up again....

Last edited by SteveM; 11-21-2009 at 10:33 AM.
11-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Keyser! The only reason I managed to snag that one was I saw it pop up on craiglist (I was looking for something else) and I shot him a reply like 2 seconds after it popped up. When I picked up the camera he said that there were 7-8 guys in line after me...

Yes, that K2 was one of those "scores" to be sure.

I see stuff like this on the 'bay, and wonder - have these folks never heard of a "completed listings" search? There's even a M50/2 up there for over $300 right now - I think the guy doesn't understand 1:2 vs 1.2 ....

QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
Hey Gabriel. I think I spoiled you by pointing out that $100 K2 bundle on Craigslist! Now everything looks expensive