Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K is for Krocoduck

What's wrong with this picture?

11-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

How did a self timer show up on a K1000?

Or, how did a K1000 top plate show up on a KM!
11-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a KM.
11-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Or, how did a K1000 top plate show up on a KM!
I'm the culprit. :-)

Yes, it's a KM. Picked it up off the 'bay for $5.50 -- really couldn't let it pass. The price was so low because it had been dropped or something. The pentaprism was chipped at a couple corners, as you could see through the viewfinder, and the top cover had a sharp dent.

So now it has a pentaprism and top cover from a parts K1000. Everything seems to check out, so it's time for a test roll to see if there was any more hidden damage.

At first I was going to try to hammer out the dent, and then thought, it's more interesting this way, at least for now. Maybe later I'll get that bit of restoration done.

11-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The rare KM1000.
11-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #6

I've always been puzzled why Pentax dropped the KM and brought the K1000 in. The KM had some features that would have gone well on a student camera (which the K1000 often seems to be sold as) - the depth of field preview for example. The only Pentax film body I own with that is a P30T!
11-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've thought about having Eric swap top covers on my KM so I could join the K1000 Club!

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-21-2009 at 05:52 PM.
11-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sell it to Aresenal Photo on ebay...they'd probably pay $500 and sell it for $1000 But you're still up over $400
11-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
I've always been puzzled why Pentax dropped the KM and brought the K1000 in. The KM had some features that would have gone well on a student camera (which the K1000 often seems to be sold as) - the depth of field preview for example. The only Pentax film body I own with that is a P30T!
The K1000 was introduced as a budget line extension for the K bodies (along with the K2DMD as a top-end pro extension). At first it sold very poorly.

Olympus had shocked the camera world with their small, OM cameras. Pentax was a bit late to the game whe they discontinued the K bodies and replaced them with the smaller M series, in reaction to Olympus.

In order to keep cash flowing, the K1000 (basically a Spotmatic with a K-mount) was marketed at a give-away price point. Once it was adopted by schools as a teaching camera a cult following developed, and many hold it close to the heart as their first SLR. The rest is a remarkable history - the longest camera production run ever.

Pentax's decline really started in the early 70's, when they remained committed to the M42 mount. Had they introduced the K-mount on the Spotmatic II or ES in 1971, or even the Spotmatic F or ESII in 1973 they would not have lost so much market share.

Pentax has been struggling to catch up ever since.

As a side-bar, my daughter was Editor-in-Chief of her nationally-competitive HS Yearbook when our school district took some Federal revenue sharing money and outfitted the Journalism classrooms with Apple workstations. Once the hardware was there, it was a small step to replacing 40 K1000's with Canon digital cameras. The savings on photographic consumables alone replaces the computers every fourth year and the camera bodies every fourth year, on alternating two-year cycles. Had Pentax had a digital equivalent to the Canon, Mary would have spec'd it, but Canon and Nikon were the only viable options.

Last edited by monochrome; 11-21-2009 at 10:23 PM.
11-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

All you need now is some black paint and you'll have the even rarer "panda face" KM1000.

Love the Krocoduck reference - maybe Kirk Cameron shoots one of these?
11-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
All you need now is some black paint and you'll have the even rarer "panda face" KM1000.

Love the Krocoduck reference - maybe Kirk Cameron shoots one of these?
He could just get a black face of of a KX or KM.
11-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The K1000 was introduced as a budget line extension for the K bodies (along with the K2DMD as a top-end pro extension). At first it sold very poorly.

Olympus had shocked the camera world with their small, OM cameras. Pentax was a bit late to the game whe they discontinued the K bodies and replaced them with the smaller M series, in reaction to Olympus.

In order to keep cash flowing, the K1000 (basically a Spotmatic with a K-mount) was marketed at a give-away price point. Once it was adopted by schools as a teaching camera a cult following developed, and many hold it close to the heart as their first SLR. The rest is a remarkable history - the longest camera production run ever.

Pentax's decline really started in the late 60's, when they remained committed to the M42 mount. Had they introduced the K-mount on the Spotmatic II or ES in 1971, or even the Spotmatic F or ESII in 1973 they would not have lost so much market share.

Pentax has been struggling to catch up ever since.

As a side-bar, my daughter was Editor-in-Chief of her nationally-competitive HS Yearbook when our school district took some Federal revenue sharing money and outfitted the Journalism classrooms with Apple workstations. Once the hardware was there, it was a small step to replacing 40 K1000's with Canon digital cameras. The savings on photographic consumables alone replaces the computers every fourth year and the camera bodies every fourth year, on alternating two-year cycles. Had Pentax had a digital equivalent to the Canon, Mary would have spec'd it, but Canon and Nikon were the only viable options.
That's true that had the brought out the K-mount in the ES II and Spot F, they would have gotten so far behind by 1985. The could have phased the m42 out while bringing in the k-mount which is what they did later anyway. The Metalica II at the '66 Photokina was the predecessor to the K2 and some dgree the Electro, ES and ES II.
11-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I've thought about having Eric swap top covers on my KM so I could join the K1000 Club!
LOL! Or I could trade covers with you.
11-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #14

I would also wonder whether Pentax suffered from making cameras up to a standard rather than down to a price. I have an Olympus OM10 here that, while undoubtedly a fine camera, doesn't feel anything like as good in my hands as a Pentax M series.
11-24-2009, 02:02 PM   #15

Sheet Music

Which piece shows the sheet music behind the camera? Looks like an orchestral part for a string instrument like violin or cello (or viola?).

Hobby or Pro?

Nosy as usual,

Vranx