Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K1000 - Thick black vertical lines on my photos

Got some photos back I took with my K1000, several had a thick black vertical line as if the frame was mis-aligned or something.
Not a black line through an individual frame, but there were two different exposures one each side of the line.
Looked at the negatives, same thing so it must be the camera? It is malfunctioning?

I can post some pics if needed.
Here is a sample photo:

Last edited by skid2964; 11-27-2009 at 05:46 AM.
11-26-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Well yes, this is a visual medium. Pictures would help.
11-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume you are talking about prints or scans. The film was not aligned properly in the strip loader. Instead of projecting a single frame, parts of two frames and the blank strip in between (rendered in the positive as black) were projected.

Edit: Reread the original post more carefully and noticed that the fault is present in the negative as well. Sticky shutter curtain? Very rare half-frame K1000 HF?

Steve
11-26-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Edit: Reread the original post more carefully and noticed that the fault is present in the negative as well. Sticky shutter curtain? Very rare half-frame K1000 HF?

Steve
Flash used at wrong shutter speed?

11-27-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Well yes, this is a visual medium. Pictures would help.
Added photo.........
11-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I assume that was the same image? can you strip a full strip of negatives?

And that is a weird place for the bar.
Try the following without film
open the back, set the shutter in B, position yourself in fornt of the camera point the lens to a white sheet of paper and click (better if you have a shutter release cable that will keep the shutter opened)
Now check if there is anything obstructing your view to the paper (you should see a magnified view of the paper)
If you see something physical obstructing the view try to locate it and remove it
11-27-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
Added photo.........
That's the space between frames. You have a scanner problem, not a camera problem.

11-27-2009, 06:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can scan a negative, what I am seeing though is this black bar showing up at random locations in several photos. This one was the most centered.

I will try the test you mentioned also.

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
I assume that was the same image? can you strip a full strip of negatives?

And that is a weird place for the bar.
Try the following without film
open the back, set the shutter in B, position yourself in fornt of the camera point the lens to a white sheet of paper and click (better if you have a shutter release cable that will keep the shutter opened)
Now check if there is anything obstructing your view to the paper (you should see a magnified view of the paper)
If you see something physical obstructing the view try to locate it and remove it
11-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My negatives came from the film processor looking like this. You are saying it is failure on their part? Their automated film development machinery is most likely the culprit according to this print?

I can see that, the camera cannot place two separate images on one frame like that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That's the space between frames. You have a scanner problem, not a camera problem.
11-27-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Looks like they screwedup the negative cutting/alignement
they should make the prints again and if they cut the negatives you could ask for a full refund + a new roll of film
11-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Boy, that stinks! Find a new photo lab for sure
11-27-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I agree with the rest here. The 135 film is one long photoreactive piece and is not divided into frames until they're developed. It's impossible for your camera to both expose only part of a frame and wind on less that a complete frame which it would need to do in order to match the system.

If it were a problem with the winder then you'd get overlapping double exposure.

It's interesting that you can see this on the negative though.... we really need to see a strip to figure out what you mean by that.