Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
It's only a guess on my part but I would expect it to be the same vintage as the ME Super. I bought mine in 1981. Pentax was a brand name but the company was Asahi (with exception to a few years more recently when Pentax was a company to itself). I really do like the ME Super...great camera!
Thanks for dating it . Yes they are so unobtrusive and although I am great SPOTMATIC fan I tend to reach for the ME's and with the adaptor all my Takumars are to hand.

12-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
The ME Super (see the pic above) was my first brand new Pentax I purchased in 1981. It came from a little camera shop in Chatham and the salesman wouldn't shut up about how great it would be for me. I guess he was right as I still have it after all these years. I've no plans to part with it either! I recently changed the light seals and mirror bumper foam. It's a solid performer and always has a roll of film in it ready for action!
12-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
The ME Super (see the pic above) was my first brand new Pentax I purchased in 1981.
I won mine in a sales contest in 1984. I chose it from the prize catalog because I already had a KX.

Everybody else got golf clubs. They are long-since gone, but I still have my MESuper. Its cosmetics are a bit the worse for wear since it has become more of a pocket camera recently, but then bright marks in the paint are analogous to the wrinkles of experience on my grandfather's face. Eric has made the plumbing good as new.

{EDIT:} My apologies for he metaphor mixing.
12-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'd never part with mine either! I bought it to take with me on a student exchange to USSR with my high school (we went there....they never came here). I can still remember taking it out of the box on the way home....

Vogist...try checking the viewfinder in your ME Super against a modern digital SLR....the new ones don't even come close! I'm not sure if you have a Pentax DSLR, but if you do, you can use that adapter to use your takumars.

12-04-2009, 05:50 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...try checking the viewfinder in your ME Super against a modern digital SLR....the new ones don't even come close! I'm not sure if you have a Pentax DSLR, but if you do, you can use that adapter to use your takumars.
That is simply unfair!

The ME Super has one of the brightest and highest contrast viewfinders ever made. It is like looking out a window. Honestly though, when I have been out shooting with my XR7 (similar finder to the ME Super), it is like stepping into a dark room when look through the K10D.

Steve
12-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, Very cool and something I have not about. I love my Super Taks and up to now have only been using them on my Spoties, but the thought of my 35mm on my me super has me really excited. Can someone recommend a good adapter that will focus to infinite?
Thanks
12-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Wow, Very cool and something I have not about. I love my Super Taks and up to now have only been using them on my Spoties, but the thought of my 35mm on my me super has me really excited. Can someone recommend a good adapter that will focus to infinite?
Thanks
Some aftermarket adapters will bugger up the threads on your taks. I'll only use a Pentax brand adapter. Pentax still sells them and there are a few around used. I think you can get them from the Pentax web store. I had the local camera store bring on in about a year ago and it was $20 CAN

12-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Javier, if you have one you are using on your dSLR, the same one works on film

The basic requirement is that the entire adapter fits inside the K mount - as illustrated at the top of this thread. The genuine Pentax one is by far the best.

The cheaper ones work, but everyone who uses one of these will sooner or later experience the *Oh CRAP* it turned too far in the K mount and is STUCK. You can unstick them, but who needs that aggravation?
12-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks Guys. I will check the pentax store and get one ordered.
12-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Javier, my experience is that your M42 lenses will be much more comfortable in a Spotmatic.
12-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
Javier, my experience is that your M42 lenses will be much more comfortable in a Spotmatic.
Ha? Why is that?
12-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #27

If anyone finds the M-42 adapter on the Pentax web store let me know, I can't find them and My dealer shows them as NLA.
12-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redneckwes Quote
If anyone finds the M-42 adapter on the Pentax web store let me know, I can't find them and My dealer shows them as NLA.
I bought one today.
PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)
12-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'd never part with mine either! I bought it to take with me on a student exchange to USSR with my high school (we went there....they never came here). I can still remember taking it out of the box on the way home....

Vogist...try checking the viewfinder in your ME Super against a modern digital SLR....the new ones don't even come close! I'm not sure if you have a Pentax DSLR, but if you do, you can use that adapter to use your takumars.
Hi SMC. This adaprtor is opening up my choices both between the MEs and Spotmatics and my next purchase of DSLR. What to buy as a used PENTAX DSLR? Would it seem crazy to base my choice of DSLR body around the adaptor + my favourite 1.4 /50mm TAK as a starter into my digital learning curve.I am leaning towards a used K10. My experience todate has been with a OPTIO 330gs which I use on a daily basis and is a great litte camera for record shots, but I want to move up a grade. What should I budget for a starter DSLR? Thanks in advance.
12-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
Not quite sure what you mean by' more comfortable '. Tried both ME super and Spomatic SP today, handheld. Both felt right.