Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which Pentax SLR suports DA and M lenses?

Hi guys,

Can you tell me which Pentax film SLR suports aperture change from the camera body with DA and also has support for M lenses?

I have Pentax MZ-50 which supports DA aperture change and autofocus but lacks support for M lenses.

I also have the Pentax MZ-10 which supports M lenses but lacks support to change aperture from the camera on DA lenses.

I also need to have autofocus.

I can't afford the MZ-S because it's expensive. So is there a cheaper camera out there which can do all of the above?

Thanks guys.

12-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Seems only these will fit your needs: MZ-6, MZ-7, Z1, Z1p, *ist...

Actually you can use P mode on your MZ-10 to use DA lenses. The camera will set aperture for you, that's what I use when I'm using DA lens on a MZ-S and MZ-3, and SuperA too
12-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The PZ-70 (aka Z-70) that I have supports aperture set from lens but also full (not step down) metering with M lenses.
12-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is cool, but when you say the camera can set the aperture for me do you mean that I have no control over the aperture manually from the camera buttons? I would try instead of ask, but I'm at work and don't have the camera with me.

12-07-2009, 12:49 AM   #5

You might find this table useful.

Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
12-07-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nekulturniy Quote

This is a great info. Thanks for posting it.
12-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

What I mean is if the lens is set into the 'A' position (or doesn't have an aperture ring at all), I can use buttons on the camera body to set the aperture to what I want, even if it leads to an over or under exposure.

Some Pentax cameras support the 'A' setting without letting you independantly set the aperture. They use a statistical calculations to balance the shutter speed and aperture in unison (program mode).

Also, unlike the digital bodies that allow you to do this, the lens mount has a meter coupling to allow full use of M lenses without stop down metering.

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
This is cool, but when you say the camera can set the aperture for me do you mean that I have no control over the aperture manually from the camera buttons? I would try instead of ask, but I'm at work and don't have the camera with me.

12-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ZX/MZ-5;6;7 and 3 do support DA lenses and M lenses
12-11-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Too bad you need autofocus, because my favorite film body, the Super Program, supports both M and A/FAJ/DA lenses. You just don't get aperture priority with a lens that has no aperture ring.
12-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

ZX-L does this and is cheaper than the -S
12-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm curious, does anyone know why Pentax didn't add that function to their flagship MZ-S even though it came out after the PZ-1? Unfortunately the MZ-S is the only AF Pentax SLR that interests me, but not supporting DA lenses makes it a no-go for me. Especially since you can pick up a Canon EOS 3 or Nikon F100 for less than half the cost of an MZ-S.

Edit: or am I just mistaken by the MZ-S since it doesn't appear to have dual control dials like the PZ-1 has?
12-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Seems only these will fit your needs: MZ-6, MZ-7, Z1, Z1p, *ist...

Actually you can use P mode on your MZ-10 to use DA lenses. The camera will set aperture for you, that's what I use when I'm using DA lens on a MZ-S and MZ-3, and SuperA too
Here's a noob question...

Could one put on a neutral density filter or two to make the aperture go wider? I know the Olympus Stylus cameras, for example, will favor a higher shutter speed and will open the lens in order to keep the shutter speeds up.

I have a P3 sitting here but it doesn't show aperture in A mode The manual is kinda weird with its graphs and stuff...I can't decipher them.
12-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Here's a noob question...

Could one put on a neutral density filter or two to make the aperture go wider? I know the Olympus Stylus cameras, for example, will favor a higher shutter speed and will open the lens in order to keep the shutter speeds up.

I have a P3 sitting here but it doesn't show aperture in A mode The manual is kinda weird with its graphs and stuff...I can't decipher them.
I'm not familiar with all the Pentax models in specific, but I *believe* that with a P3, you'd be better off just setting the aperture you want on the ring than trying to outguess the program line in P mode.

Oh, you mean with a DA lens, of course. I think there you're pretty much trying to force the program line to give you the aperture you'd like. (For this, the graphs I bet you are looking at are exactly what you need to understand, if you want to use ND's) Unless you can meter by eye, however vaguely, and choose a shutter speed in Tv mode that will give you the aperture you want, if there is Tv there?

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-11-2009 at 03:43 PM.
12-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nekulturniy Quote

I have a question about that chart; it has a yellow exclamation point next the MZ-S, which says this:
QuoteQuote:
Not Recommended. The image formed by the lens does not cover the full 24x36 frame resulting in vigneting (dark corners). Exceptions: Some users report that the DA 40mm does cover the full frame and that some DA zooms at least at some focal lengths also cover the full frame.
However, I'm not concerned about the image circle, just aperture control. It doesn't say anything about being able to control the aperture using a DA lens, which is all I really care about (so I can use future full frame lenses like the D-FA 100mm macro for example). Also, will SDM-only lenses autofocus on it? If they do then great, if not then it's not the end of the world.

Also, I don't see the MZ-3 on that chart at all (the other AF SLR I'm interested in). Is it compatible with DA lenses?

EDIT: I just noticed this message (not sure how I didn't see it the first time):

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Not sure if I'm cool with that though. I shoot in A-priority mode 90% of the time, and in M mode the other 10%. I'm going to have to test out shutter priority for a bit to see if I'm ok with that. The MZ-S, MZ-3, and MZ-5n are pretty much the only AF SLR's I like. Why did Pentax make so few high end 35MM SLR's? Most all have pentamirror VF's and look like cheap plastic.

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 12-17-2009 at 09:32 PM.
12-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I'm curious, does anyone know why Pentax didn't add that function to their flagship MZ-S even though it came out after the PZ-1? Unfortunately the MZ-S is the only AF Pentax SLR that interests me, but not supporting DA lenses makes it a no-go for me. Especially since you can pick up a Canon EOS 3 or Nikon F100 for less than half the cost of an MZ-S.

Edit: or am I just mistaken by the MZ-S since it doesn't appear to have dual control dials like the PZ-1 has?
You can only indirectly control aperture with the MZ-S, unless you have an aperture ring. It does work fine in shutter priority and program, but not manual or aperture priority.