Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #1

Force wide open on M bodies with DA lenses

Hi

is there a way to force DA lenses ( without aperture ring ) to shoot wide open ? I use a ME Super and I want to use the 18-55mm wide open. Is there any way to do that ? ( like tape aperture lever etc )

12-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mer Quote
Hi

is there a way to force DA lenses ( without aperture ring ) to shoot wide open ? I use a ME Super and I want to use the 18-55mm wide open. Is there any way to do that ? ( like tape aperture lever etc )
You may find a way to keep the aperture lever open, but there is a notch on the aperture ring of the lens which tells the camera what aperture was pre-selected. I suspect on the DA series this would tell the camera that when the shutter is fired, the light will be substantially lower than the TTL reading (i.e. the minimum aperture of the lens).

Your pics would be substantially over exposed unless you manually set the shutter speed.

I do stand to be corrected as I don't have any DA lenses.
12-13-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They WILL shoot wide open on a manual body. You can not stop them down since they have no aperture ring.
12-13-2009, 02:41 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
They WILL shoot wide open on a manual body. You can not stop them down since they have no aperture ring.
Sorry, but not the case. On M and K series bodies, a DA lens will be wide open to compose and stops down to its minimum aperture at taking time. The reason is that those older bodies are not forward compatible to the DA lenses. They give the aperture lever its full travel while A mount and newer bodies move the lever only as far as is needed for the aperture set by the body.

Ditto for A and FA lenses when the aperture ring is on the "A" setting.

Steve

(Have several pre-A film bodies...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-13-2009 at 02:54 AM.
12-13-2009, 02:54 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
...Your pics would be substantially over exposed unless you manually set the shutter speed...
Metering (ironically) is correct for the taking aperture (fully stopped down). The DA lens that I own (18-55) has the appropriate "stop" on the mount that communicates the appropriate minimum aperture offset for the lens. The camera uses that offset to bias the meter for the taking aperture.

Steve
12-13-2009, 02:58 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mer Quote
Hi

I would not tape the aperture lever. Doing so may jam the shutter mechanism on the camera...perhaps permanently. Your best option might be to pick up a cheap A or P series body and shoot in P or Sv mode.

Steve