Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Mirror Sticking

Hey all,
I just upgraded to a K-x but still love my film SLR dearly. However lately I have been experiencing a problem with the mirror: When I release the shutter, the mirror clicks up and just stays there. I have to remove the lens partially, and then mirror clicks back down. Feels like it is getting stuck on the lens.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Is there any solution to it?

Thank you in advance!

12-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This shouldn't be happening.
What lens are you using on it?
Any protruding parts getting in the way?
I'd be inclined to send the camera back if there's no explanation for the mirror sticking.
12-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The most likely cause is that the foam bumper has deteriorated and become sticky. Just shaking or tapping the camera may be enough to free the lens, you are probably accomplishing the same by removing the lens. The solution is to buy an interslice refoaming kit from John Goodman (he's on ebay).

Another cause may be that something in the mechanicals is going awry - the solution to this is to google this, as there are several articles with pictures (I think even here) on what to look for and how to fix. This involves taking off the bottom of the camera.
12-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
This shouldn't be happening.
What lens are you using on it?
Any protruding parts getting in the way?
I'd be inclined to send the camera back if there's no explanation for the mirror sticking.
Ash and Nesster, appreciate your guidance on this one.

My original lens is a Cosina 35-70mm macro, I also picked up Penatx M 50mm and 28mm on ebay last year. All the lenses are sticking - I tried to shave off a milimeter of plastic protrusion off of Cosina's back, but that didn't do enough to help.

I will take a look at the foam kit that you recommended...

12-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh, please don't do that to any other lens! I'm pretty sure it's what Nesster said. My Spotmatic does this. I thought it was the lens too at first (a Mir-1B). Tapping the camera gets the mirror down for me. I just ordered a kit for my Spotmatic and one for my ME Super.
12-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you look on the mirror, there should be some sticky residue (which can be removed with Windex)...

To test it, move the mirror up with your finger, with the shutter uncocked, and see if it sticks. If so, search for user "interslice" on ebay...that's John