Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Beepaitch Quote
I suspect the 15 years of not being used has caused this problem.
I'm thinking my camera's problems are also a result of letting it sit in storage for a long time. Since I put film in it, and have made a point to never forget to wind to reset the shutter after each shot, I have only had it not reset the shutter once.

It may not be cured, but at least I know a workaround for me is to bump the camera when the winder lever is fully extended. That seems to work for the time being.

11-07-2019, 08:34 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thaks to Eric's hint I was able to pinpoint the place where it was not properly sliding, a microdrop of PTFE oil and voila!!!

In the ME Super is way more complex though
The Classic Camera Repair Forum: Pentax ME shuuter not cocking.

In the old days there was a trick called reset a camera,
Holding the wind lock disengaged while winding the camera is known as “resetting”. Resetting should be the first thing tried when a camera locks up because it puts everything into a pre shutter release position. Sometimes holding the mirror in an up (or down) position while resetting is advantageous.

unfortunately the KYPhoto pages are gone, there was a lot of good info there
PENTAX ME SUPER RAMBLINGS

Rick Oleson also had a ton of good info
Camera Tech Notes
11-08-2019, 12:18 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Thaks to Eric's hint I was able to pinpoint the place where it was not properly sliding, a microdrop of PTFE oil and voila!!!
I would really really like to know where that place is please? Since getting my body working again, it did stick again yesterday and took a couple of very slow deliberate cranks again to get it to reset.
Unlike MDK I've not found that a bump or knock resets it, but the symptoms do seem very much like the slow/sticky pawl or lever.

Thanks!
11-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lacth that Just1MoreDave pointed out is the main issue, there is a spring under it to make it go to the rirht position .
I put a drop of lube in the pivot of that latch which you can do only in the fully extended position of the wind lever
Also in the other rotating pieces and cleaned the white goo as shown in Dave's photo

There is a latch that moves the mirror box which is located inside to the R of the assembly and can be reached but that is a lot harder to explain

08-10-2020, 01:50 AM - 2 Likes   #20

A solution to 2 misbehaving P30T cameras. Remove the bottom plate. Wind on the shutter and hold it open: the second photo above shows this. Oil/lubricate the slot opened up at the right of the photos (near the '8' in the above photos). Everything on mine now work like new. One of these cameras had 2 other issues that this forum helped with: hopefully I can pay it forward.
09-19-2022, 10:14 PM   #21

Realize this is an old thread but I just fixed a buddie’s P30T. Take some lighter fluid in a syringe and drip it in the shutter winding mechanism with that black cog. I ended up removing this one to get a better look so I dripped some on all the pivoting points. It works flawlessly now. Fingers crossed it keeps working over the course of time.
09-23-2022, 09:03 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
Just a note to add my own thanks as I just fixed (I hope:-) ) my P30t.

One thing, however, in my eagerness, I managed to lose the longer screw that goes in next to the battery door. By any chance, do any of you have a spare or know the specs for the screw?

Thanks...

09-23-2022, 06:16 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by jruschme Quote
Just a note to add my own thanks as I just fixed (I hope:-) ) my P30t.

One thing, however, in my eagerness, I managed to lose the longer screw that goes in next to the battery door. By any chance, do any of you have a spare or know the specs for the screw?

Thanks...
Looked to me like an M1 or M2 standard pitch screw last time I was in there. Probably 20mm long ish? If not you can always trim it down with a dremel
09-24-2022, 05:16 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rstreuli Quote
Looked to me like an M1 or M2 standard pitch screw last time I was in there. Probably 20mm long ish? If not you can always trim it down with a dremel
I lucked out this morning and managed to find where it had rolled to. But thank you for the info.