Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Breathing life back into my 'new' MX

My 'new to me' MX is getting a bit of TLC in the form of light seals and a new skin from Camera Leathers. Going with the navy blue on this one!

I'll post pics when it is all done.

12-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool! That blue "composite" would be one of my first choices. Unfortunately, the coverings on all my cameras are in very good condition (darn!), so I don't have an excuse to add the ultimate touch of luxury!

Steve

(Let me see...medium grey lizard...granite kid...Contax Black...Levant Black...)
12-19-2009, 04:15 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My initial goal was only to remove what was left of the original seals - nothing but goo at this point in its life! - and replace the mirror bumper foam. However, during that process I noticed a small cut in the leatherette near the back door hinge. That was all the excuse I needed for a custom new skin!

I couldn't live with the guilt of knowing that some poor reptile was sacrificed just to make my camera unique so I went with the more domestic choice of 'composite'. I placed a green kid skin on my little Canonet GIII QL17, so thought blue might be interesting and a bit different. The Coral Pink is a bit too different, wouldn't you agree?
Attached Images

12-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good choice, the navy blue is nice. Coral pink on a camera body, not sure on that colour.

12-21-2009, 02:08 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've removed the old light seals; they were just black goo!
The mirror bumper foam replacement is a bit tricky on the MX.
It requires a steady hand a good bit of concentration.
I added a few colourful expletives, too; just for good measure!

Just waiting for the Navy Blue skin to arrive in the mail.

My next project is to replace the light seals on my newly acquired K1000.
It's all a bit time consuming and tedious but rewarding in the end.
12-21-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If you were using a JonGoodman kit bumper foam is not so tricky if you remember to lick the adhesive before applying. In that way the stickiness is low and you can easily reposition
Now taking the old adhesive out.... that is a chore!
12-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I've removed the old light seals; they were just black goo!
The mirror bumper foam replacement is a bit tricky on the MX.
It requires a steady hand a good bit of concentration.
I added a few colourful expletives, too; just for good measure!

Just waiting for the Navy Blue skin to arrive in the mail.

My next project is to replace the light seals on my newly acquired K1000.
It's all a bit time consuming and tedious but rewarding in the end.
Inspired by your intrepid postings I ordered a Jon Goodman kit and replaced the door seals and mirror bumper on a K2. I've never tried this before.

The only challenges were removing the mirror bumper without dropping anything on the prism (stress! - got one, tiny hair in there) and needing a large magnifier on an armature to see what I was doing.

12-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #8

When you get the MX covered, along with photos can you give a brief description of the feel of the leather material? I just put the Griptac on an ME Super and the handling is great. I'm thinking of doing the MX in a color, though. My concern is if the leather ends up as slippery as the existing stuff. Thanks!
12-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Inspired by your intrepid postings I ordered a Jon Goodman kit and replaced the door seals and mirror bumper on a K2. I've never tried this before.

The only challenges were removing the mirror bumper without dropping anything on the prism (stress! - got one, tiny hair in there) and needing a large magnifier on an armature to see what I was doing.
Like Jon says, go slow. No rush!
Light seals and mirror bumping foam replacement is pretty easy.
This is my 4th camera.
The first was the hardest - the Canon in the picture above.
Just follow his great instructions; you can't go wrong!
Pentax SLR's are a snap!
I use a magnifying desk lamp, too; it really helps.
If I get a speck of old foam goo on the glass I give it a short blast of compressed air; that cleans it up quick.
Keep a body cap on when not working on it.
12-21-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dandaniel Quote
When you get the MX covered, along with photos can you give a brief description of the feel of the leather material? I just put the Griptac on an ME Super and the handling is great. I'm thinking of doing the MX in a color, though. My concern is if the leather ends up as slippery as the existing stuff. Thanks!
Count on it!
Pictures and a complete description will be here for all to read.
12-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
If you were using a JonGoodman kit bumper foam is not so tricky if you remember to lick the adhesive before applying. In that way the stickiness is low and you can easily reposition
Now taking the old adhesive out.... that is a chore!
Absolutely! I'm a foam licker! It really does work.
The MX is a bit of a challenge as there is a tiny bit of foam that goes way in deep.
Shaky hands are not helpful!

I did it though!
12-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Already done? (Belated suggestion: bamboo kitchen skewers, slightly mooshed, to get old door-seal gunk out. You can take nail clippers to them at an angle to renew them when they get too gunky. )
12-22-2009, 02:53 AM   #13

sweet
i just got back my MX from eric!
it's almost like it's new.
12-22-2009, 03:10 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Already done? (Belated suggestion: bamboo kitchen skewers, slightly mooshed, to get old door-seal gunk out. You can take nail clippers to them at an angle to renew them when they get too gunky. )
Thanks for the tip!

I have a variety of bamboo sticks in my kit. As you suggested they can be shaved and shaped to fit into all the tiny channels and spots that used to house the factory installed light-seal foam. One of the most helpful tools is a long handled, angled tipped, pin-pointed (needle sharp, I might add) tweezers. I bought them a couple years back at a hobby store. Unfortunately, they are A.W.O.L.! I'm sure they'll show up once all the difficult work is done. (Sounds like my kids... hmmm)

Some folks knit or paint to waste the evening hours away in the cold, dark Canadian winter; I reseal old cameras. I find it calming and feel quite rewarded when the task is complete.
12-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Thanks for the tip!
Some folks knit or paint to waste the evening hours away in the cold, dark Canadian winter; I reseal old cameras. I find it calming and feel quite rewarded when the task is complete.
Hee. I've got a bit of a backlog of projects, myself: some practical ones and then some fun ones, including a Canonet I'd like to custom-paint. (I should really remember to get hold of some lamp parts or something suitable for lighting: the first project in line is a duping rig for my negatives, and I think I can use the same light that that'll need for the repair projects. (One thing I've noticed is that relying on daylight for my repairs tends to mean things don't get done.