Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
This sounds exactly right, as it's been proven that the V700/50 don't get more than 2100-2600 SPI of real resolution even in the best of conditions. It's a real shame that scanner development has come essentially to a standstill. Professional flatbeds were getting 2-3x this resolution 10 years ago. I wonder what happened to the trickle down of technology?
The market's drying up - many have already scanned their shoeboxes of slides and very few are filling up new shoeboxes with new slides.

01-07-2010, 02:18 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Good job!
I did that as well and found that "digitizing" not only 35mm but also MF negatives was a plus of this method.
Your "scans"are gorgeous!
01-07-2010, 04:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

So, titrisol, you digitized negatives? How were your results?
01-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
This sounds exactly right, as it's been proven that the V700/50 don't get more than 2100-2600 SPI of real resolution even in the best of conditions. It's a real shame that scanner development has come essentially to a standstill. Professional flatbeds were getting 2-3x this resolution 10 years ago. I wonder what happened to the trickle down of technology?
I have heard that before, and I would tend to agree. However, I do take some comfort in the fact that the epson v700/50 appears to match the (in its time) much more expensive Imacon 848: Collaborative Large Format Scanner Comparison

That's still enough resolution to print 8x10 at 240dpi - 300dpi, and plenty for web display obviously. Wasn't 8x10 the accepted size for 35mm film before it gets too big for itself? (obviously you can print it any size you want - i have 12x18 and 16x24 prints from 35mm). that's not to mention med. fmt. which could easily get you 18x24 at 240dpi at those resolutions...

anyway, I agree with you it is a shame they don't actually provide what they advertise; that link i provided definitely wore the shine off my new scanner pretty quick. What are these professional flatbeds you mention? How do they compare in price to imacon 949 or X5?

01-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Not as good as the ones in this series.
A few years ago I borrowed a Nikon D70 and used my 55/2.8 micro + extension tubes for the 35mm and without tubes for the MF negatives, all in a copy stand.
The BW negatives came out brownish but that was OK since most of the detail was preserved.
Color slides were better after I learned how to use WB in the camera.

I do not have many samples of those anymore, but the negatives are still fine

QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
So, titrisol, you digitized negatives? How were your results?
01-09-2010, 05:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Does anyone know if one can use a white computer screen for a light box? Since I have one of those handy...
01-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery
Don't see why not, providing your shutter-open duration exceeds your monitor's scan-rate (slower shutter-speed than 1/25th second, typically). Some monitors have the ability to adjust colour-temperature white-balance as well, so will adapt better to film.

01-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Does anyone know if one can use a white computer screen for a light box? Since I have one of those handy...
The pixels might cause some sort of interference appear if using white screen directly.

I'd recommend CRT because of more even light BUT, one must carefully find a good shutter speed, slower than screen 1/fps. Probably even slower to average out screen scan brightness differences (the place where pixel is drawn is brighter on CRT and fades gradually). If single scan is visible you can see the differences of brightness.

On both - CRT and LCD i'd recommend some sort of diffusion layer (like white plastic sheet). Especially on LCD where the pixels are very near the surface of the screen (so both, negative and they would be in focus).

You could try to canibalize old LCD, by removing all image displaying layers and leaving only backligh and light diffusing layers. Just keep in mind that old flourescent tubes tend to produce "worse" colour (more discrete light spectrum, stronger colour cast etc).
01-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks! I don't have too many slides but have been considering trying to "scan" a few with the DA35.
01-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Maybe you should get some distance between the slides and the screen. Otherwise individual pixels will show (even if the screen is all-white).
01-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Try doing it with a flat screen (laptop pointing to the ceiling)
If you can see pixels/lines maybe a sheet of paper between the monitor and the slide helps?