Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #1

ME super light meter.

I baught my ME super in 1981 and have had it since. I recently pulled it out and it locked up. I was able to gently unlock it and it seems to work fine. Thru the years I was never able to take great photo's. I think mostly it was user error.

I read in the link below that they had mention about a bad light meter. I read online how to remove the top and adjust the meter.

How do you know if your light meter is bad or needs adjustment?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/71292-me-super...0mm-1-4-a.html

01-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi...Welcome to the forum!

You can take the camera to your friendly local camera repair. They should be able to fully assess the camera's functionality including the meter. In all likelihood, the meter is fine, but it doesn't hurt to have them check it.

Steve
01-03-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hi...Welcome to the forum!

You can take the camera to your friendly local camera repair. They should be able to fully assess the camera's functionality including the meter. In all likelihood, the meter is fine, but it doesn't hurt to have them check it.

Steve

Be sure your selective about what shop to take your camera too. I had an MX I was gonna get repaired but the shop was basically gonna rape me on cost.

(Richmond Camera is a bunch of D-bags)

Some places sub-contract their work, and I warn you to be wary of anyone that doesn't do in-house repair.
01-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FLOPGUY Quote
I baught my ME super in 1981 and have had it since. I recently pulled it out and it locked up. I was able to gently unlock it and it seems to work fine. Thru the years I was never able to take great photo's. I think mostly it was user error.

I read in the link below that they had mention about a bad light meter. I read online how to remove the top and adjust the meter.

How do you know if your light meter is bad or needs adjustment?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/71292-me-super...0mm-1-4-a.html
Go the simplest route first.
Compare the light meter on the ME Super with another camera's light meter.
Set both cameras up with same ASA , point in the same direction and compare readings.
Better yet, invest in a small (cheap) Sekonic light meter. Keep it in your camera bag at all times.

I'd be doing a lot of things before I tore open the camera to fiddle with the light meter adjustment.

01-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Go the simplest route first.
Compare the light meter on the ME Super with another camera's light meter.
Set both cameras up with same ASA , point in the same direction and compare readings.
Better yet, invest in a small (cheap) Sekonic light meter. Keep it in your camera bag at all times.

I'd be doing a lot of things before I tore open the camera to fiddle with the light meter adjustment.
Thank you all for the good ideas.

Your right though, I am going to do everything in my power to not open them camera. I have a fear of people doing work for me. I always feel they either lack the ability or willingness to do the job correctly.

Good point about the sekonic light meter. I need to find some kind of base line for compare.
01-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
+1 regarding the light meter. KEH has a couple of selenium Sekonics in EX condition for under $30 USD.

Comparison to another camera is a good idea. Use a blank white wall with even lighting at about 10 feet and with focus set to infinity. If possible, use the same lens for both cameras and the same exposure mode. Check at the extremes and mid-point for ASA/ISO settings as well as the full range of lens apertures. Do not compare to a Pentax dSLR metering in green button mode.

My suggestion regarding the repair place was in the interest in getting a diagnosis along with a bid. They have a standardized light source. Actual choice of a repairman is another matter. Conventional wisdom is to send your Pentax to Eric, but no sense doing so if there is nothing that needs fixing.

Steve

(Has a Gossen Luna Lux due to arrive any day now...)
01-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One thing about the ME SUPERS that I have seen, is that they are super sensitive to leaking light seals. Even the slightest leak will goober up the film. I agree in sending it to Eric. I sent all three of mine to him and have been very happy.

On a second note, I used the light meter in my K10D back in the day when the battery in my K1000 died. Worked pretty good too. Then I also learned the sunny 16 rule, that I still use.

01-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
One thing about the ME SUPERS that I have seen, is that they are super sensitive to leaking light seals. Even the slightest leak will goober up the film. I agree in sending it to Eric. I sent all three of mine to him and have been very happy.

On a second note, I used the light meter in my K10D back in the day when the battery in my K1000 died. Worked pretty good too. Then I also learned the sunny 16 rule, that I still use.

Yea I learned the sunny 16 rule too. The problem I have is the shutter speed on my camera does not match the film. I usually use 400 and there is now shutter speed for 1/400.

I found the light leek. I got a reseal kit and installed it very carefully. When I got to the very last seal (mounted on the door itself near the latch). It was not there and it was clean as a wistle. It must have fell out when the camera was relatively new.

I shot a roll before the reseal and after. The before photos were really dark and the after photo's were not bad. Both rolls shot outside on mostly sunny days. I still feel I have user issues though. I have not mastered the 1/4x, 1/2x, 1x, 2x settings yet. I shot people on a bright day and some of my faces came out a little dark.
01-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yea I learned the sunny 16 rule too. The problem I have is the shutter speed on my camera does not match the film. I usually use 400 and there is now shutter speed for 1/400...
1/500s is close enough.

Steve
01-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
. I have not mastered the 1/4x, 1/2x, 1x, 2x settings yet. I shot people on a bright day and some of my faces came out a little dark.
Forget these for now. I never use them As Steve said 1/500 is close enough as the DR range of film is very good. I also set up mine to over expose by appx 1/3 by cheating the ASA settings.
01-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Forget these for now. I never use them As Steve said 1/500 is close enough as the DR range of film is very good. I also set up mine to over expose by appx 1/3 by cheating the ASA settings.
So if I understand you correctly, I should leave it set at 1x and for 400 film set the ASA to 300? Then what range should the shutter speed be (in the green) speeds?
Will this work for indoor and outdoor shots?

I wish they had forums years ago, it wouldnt take me 29 years to take good photos.

Last edited by FLOPGUY; 01-18-2010 at 08:53 PM.