Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #1

Dented prism

I just bought a nice used black MX from the bay for $35, only problems with it are a weird responding meter and the dented prism. Could a guy like Eric undent the prism, or is it something I would have to live with?

01-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Surely you just mean the metal plate over the prism?

The prism, being glass, won't dent but will fracture if hit with enough force. I got a KM with a broken prism, which I replaced from a parts camera. That worked fine, but when I tried to hammer out the dent in the metal plate, I only made it look worse, and wish now I'd left it alone.

Maybe Eric or somebody has the tools and expertise for "body work" of that kind, but I don't know.
01-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #3

There's a decent amount of room between the top of the prism cover and the actual prism on the MX. I don't know if Eric Hendrickson does metal work or has other covers to replace yours; email him and ask. Removing a dent in a metal piece like that is not easy.

I'd be more worried about the meter rather than the bent metal. As I remember when I opened an MX with a bad meter, there's a circuit that folds over the top of the prism. This flexible plastic with internal metal paths had cracked at the front edge, breaking one or two paths. Someone had soldered in a patch piece of wire for one of the breaks.

Again, talk to Eric, see what he thinks, etc.
01-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
I meant the top metal part. I don't mind the dent, although having it undented would certainly up the sexy factor.

01-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #5

Well, keep your eyes open on eBay and other places. See if Eric has any replacements. I know I sent him a junker black MX last fall that had an undented top panel as I remember. It had a decent amount of brassing, though.
01-06-2010, 05:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
MX blk top

QuoteOriginally posted by PollitowuzHere Quote
I just bought a nice used black MX from the bay for $35, only problems with it are a weird responding meter and the dented prism. Could a guy like Eric undent the prism, or is it something I would have to live with?
I can repair the metering system of your camera. I do have a good (not perfect) black top for the MX. I will give you the top for the cost of repair of the MX. I will also replace the old light seals and mirror bumper. Clean and lube. Calibrate. Take care,
Eric
01-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #7

Original Poster
Do I just straight ship to the address at your website for estimating? I don't mind it being not perfect or brassing (kinda like the look of a brassed camera actually), just the dent looks a bit unsightly. The meter is more important, though.

01-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The address 272 Shoffner Rd, Sharps Chapel, TN 37866 is good.
01-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #9

Original Poster
Going to ship the camera tomorrow, name is Jose O. Lopez, address: Calle 8 SE 1226 Urb. Caparra Terrace, San Juan, PR 00921. You can contact me either here or email: pollito_haz_internet@hotmail.com. Forgot to include the info. inside the package.