Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ektar 100 Review and Discussion

For those who use this film or are interested in using it, there is a recent review of Kodak Ektar 100 by Roger Hicks of rangefinderforum.com. The review is posted here:
kodak ektar 100 film
and the discussion is posted here:
Ektar 100 review... - Rangefinderforum.com
I was also surprised to find this Flickr group just this afternoon:
Flickr: Kodak Ektar 100
Silly me...I guess it only follows that there would be something like this. Lots of good work though!

Steve

01-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I posted some examples made with ektar100, with a Pentax MX+FA 31mm (see album). I Like the resolution and with a V750 it's really easy to scan. I recommend it deeply! I'm more used to portra (160 400) and reala but It's a good saturated film with all the convenience of the color negative.
I liked it even for strong sunny day light. On the above shot I was impressed by it's capacity to render the lights.
when it's overexposed it keeps great details, that's why with the 1/1000 of the MX F8,11 shots in strong sunny days looked ok (second image).

It is my own use I hope we will have reviews from real hand made color printers, under enlargers...What about the dominant color, accuracy,...?
Attached Images

Last edited by mine.cola; 01-14-2010 at 02:19 AM.
01-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I bought a few rolls off Adorama, and have run one through my camera so far, with satisfactory results.

Blues and Reds pop.
01-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

i don't like any of the colors that are in the linked article and generally not really been a big fan of the ektar output in its saturated or low contrast look. roger and frances do a good job of explaining how to induce certain looks.

for negatives, i've had good experiences with 400NC / 400H and for color i go slide now Velvia 100 or Provia 400X

01-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #5

Also I noticed that blacks come out a little brownish?
Maybe just my minilab's chemicals however.
01-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
roger and frances do a good job of explaining how to induce certain looks.

for negatives, i've had good experiences with 400NC / 400H and for color i go slide now Velvia 100 or Provia 400X
PORTRA and PROVIA have color reproduction which suits me too, depending on the use. Tried 20 rolls of new Velvia 50 last year (bought in Japan: 5€ the roll) but it's not my "user taste", Velvia is great for fall colors and landscapes works in medium format. But I digress...

Ektar can make a lot and it is quiet cheap. Can be excellent for dull days...

I use Silverscan AI with the V750
Make extreme care to dust...
then I check quickly PORTRA 160, UC100, kodak press or fuji NP_ profiles in negafix...on the whole "contact sheet" (6X4)

Then I adjust the curves, contrast, shadows, lightning,... individually for the best shots.
Scan 2400,3600,4200 dpi it depends on the use or the details.

Then save in TIFF 48bits

Lightroom is the next step to check the last dust points.
It seems to work for me and It's fast!

Last edited by mine.cola; 01-14-2010 at 02:26 AM.
01-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flockofbirds Quote
Also I noticed that blacks come out a little brownish?
Maybe just my minilab's chemicals however.
I had problems with poor contrast, off colors, bad grain, and crummy scans until I switched from the mini at Costco to the local pro lab and started doing my scans myself. The most likely cause of brownish blacks is excess exposure during the scan in an attempt to normalize the exposure to gray!

Steve

01-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
P67

I've shot a few rolls of Ektar in 120 format. The single item that gave the most improvement regardless of ISO used (typically 64 to 80) is the use of a filter - specifically KR 1.5.

This smoothed out the reds, skin tones are good now, and cuts back the blue cast in bright sky or over water. Over all a better balance for landscape or people. Greens can be odd when shooting lens wide open ie: f/2.8. Background greens out of focus get a funny colour shift. I shot a street scene with 2 vehicles - bright yellow and midnight blue/gray - background green bushes and trees. Went from f/2.8 to f 22. Greens odd wide open to about f/5.6 where they stabilized.

I have shot a wide variety of landscape - cityscape - night, plus many test rolls. So far - I'm indifferent. This is coming from a guy that loves Kodak E200 with 16 pro paks in the freezer, now limited to astro photography work only.

Comparing shots of the same landscape - with a 165 lens - bracketing exposures with KR 1.5 filter - taken within 10 minutes between Ektar 100 and Velvia 100 - goes to the Velvia. If I ever get caught up on my scanner work, I may get the comparison posted. Ektar shots in my gallery.
01-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by P67 Quote
I've shot a few rolls of Ektar in 120 format. The single item that gave the most improvement regardless of ISO used (typically 64 to 80) is the use of a filter - specifically KR 1.5.

This smoothed out the reds, skin tones are good now, and cuts back the blue cast in bright sky or over water. Over all a better balance for landscape or people. Greens can be odd when shooting lens wide open ie: f/2.8. Background greens out of focus get a funny colour shift. I shot a street scene with 2 vehicles - bright yellow and midnight blue/gray - background green bushes and trees. Went from f/2.8 to f 22. Greens odd wide open to about f/5.6 where they stabilized.

I have shot a wide variety of landscape - cityscape - night, plus many test rolls. So far - I'm indifferent. This is coming from a guy that loves Kodak E200 with 16 pro paks in the freezer, now limited to astro photography work only.

Comparing shots of the same landscape - with a 165 lens - bracketing exposures with KR 1.5 filter - taken within 10 minutes between Ektar 100 and Velvia 100 - goes to the Velvia. If I ever get caught up on my scanner work, I may get the comparison posted. Ektar shots in my gallery.
Interesting comment regarding the filter. KR 1.5 is the same as Skylight 1A, right?

Steve
01-13-2010, 04:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes the KR 1.5 is a Skylight equivalent, cuts blue a tiny bit - it's slightly pink.
01-13-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Yes the KR 1.5 is a Skylight equivalent, cuts blue a tiny bit - it's slightly pink.
Ahh, I was wondering what a KR 1.5 was.
I have my first roll of Ektar 100 that should be ready on Friday. Provided my shots are ok, I'll upload a small photo and share my (uneducated, inexperienced) opinion.

cheers,
01-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Ok, so I got my 'trial' roll of Ektar 100 back today. I am very happy with the results, however this is also my first time using a pro lab. The difference in quality between the generic camera shop development and the pro lab is really pronounced for me, particularly in the scanning.

I was going to try and offer a bit of a review, but I feel that my inexperience with film would make that purely guess work! So, I like the film, and here are a couple of samples.

(click for larger)

Late afternoon light - stuffed up the framing a bit however