Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Auto 110

Just picked up an Auto 110, which I think will be very useful!

Curious what this camera meters at by default? Most of the 110 film I have & can find is ISO 200. Not sure what the default ISO of the Auto 110 is.

Figure I can just push or pull the film to compensate if the default ISO is something other than 200.

Any idea how/where I'd find this info about the camera?

01-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go here and scroll down towards the bottom to the part where he talks about the film cartridges. That determines what the camera thinks the speed is. There was a "standard" but it seems that none of the makers stuck to it.

Pentax 110 SLR

To figure out how to cut the tab, go to this site.
Pentax 110 - Film

Last edited by J.Scott; 01-15-2010 at 02:09 AM.
01-15-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
There's a bit more here on 110 film and ASA.
01-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter

BTW,

DeWaynes develops 110. Blue Moon carries a limited selection of film . . . or a wide selection depending on how you look at it.

Black and white film processing/developing and printing - Dwayne's Photo Service - Parsons, Kansas

Used and New Cameras and Equipment for Sale: Blue Moon Camera Inventory

Blue Moon develops sub-miniature film including 110.

http://bmc.workshedhosting.com/services.php

I have done business with both companies and they are top drawer!

01-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
BTW,

DeWaynes develops 110. Blue Moon carries a limited selection of film . . . or a wide selection depending on how you look at it.

Black and white film processing/developing and printing - Dwayne's Photo Service - Parsons, Kansas

Used and New Cameras and Equipment for Sale: Blue Moon Camera Inventory

Blue Moon develops sub-miniature film including 110.

Services | Blue Moon Camera and Machine

I have done business with both companies and they are top drawer!
+1 for Blue Moon's processing. They do my Ektar 100 work.

Steve
01-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Go here and scroll down towards the bottom to the part where he talks about the film cartridges. That determines what the camera thinks the speed is. There was a "standard" but it seems that none of the makers stuck to it.

Pentax 110 SLR

To figure out how to cut the tab, go to this site.
Pentax 110 - Film
Based on the links above, sounds like if I cut the film cartridge it will expose perfectly with 400 speed film loaded.

If I load 200 speed film, I should still cut the cartridge, and then pull the processing 1 stop (if possible)?
01-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by inte Quote
Based on the links above, sounds like if I cut the film cartridge it will expose perfectly with 400 speed film loaded.

If I load 200 speed film, I should still cut the cartridge, and then pull the processing 1 stop (if possible)?
I only trim the 400 cartridges. The camera essentially is capable of reading 100 speed film or 400 speed. If you leave the 200 only, it will be interpreted as 100. If you cut it, it will think it is 400. Some sources claim it reads 80 and 400 but I don't agree.

01-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
There's a bit more here on 110 film and ASA.
Checked that link & the "Bluefire" processing caught my eye. Most of the 110 film I have is 2009-2010, but I just shot a roll from 2001. Would sending to a lab like Dwayne's be fine, or is it best to try the process described below?

"Concerned that time, heat, and moisture may have damaged it? Bluefire® "Lux Eterna™" processing for long-outdated film is available..."

I've no idea how this roll from 2001 was stored. Have processed 35mm from '98 & it came out fine, other more recent film that was stored under harsh conditions didn't work out as well.

Unfamiliar with this Bluefire process - will it destroy an otherwise good roll of film?
01-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I can't really say about the film after its exposed and that old with unknown storage. I store film in the freezer. 110 is in good packaging for freezer storage.
01-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You know anyone who's tried the Bluefire process? I'm leaning toward just sending everything to Dwaynes at this point because I have some super-8 to get transferred as well.
01-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Also ... batteries?

An separate auto 110 question - what are the two small batteries inside the camera for?

I'm guessing they have to do with the meter, but I don't see any evidence yet they do anything. Have shot one roll on the camera so far, tried pushing the shutter 1/2 way down in low night - no red "underexposed" indicator in the viewfinder. No reaction of any sort.

What are these batteries for?
01-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
+1 for Blue Moon's processing. They do my Ektar 100 work.

Steve
Ditto, Blue Moon does all my film work now.
01-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by inte Quote
An separate auto 110 question - what are the two small batteries inside the camera for?

I'm guessing they have to do with the meter, but I don't see any evidence yet they do anything. Have shot one roll on the camera so far, tried pushing the shutter 1/2 way down in low night - no red "underexposed" indicator in the viewfinder. No reaction of any sort.

What are these batteries for?
Well, are the batteries dead? I'm sure the camera has a meter that would require batteries.
01-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brkl Quote
Well, are the batteries dead? I'm sure the camera has a meter that would require batteries.
Not sure - I didn't put them on a multitester, but I did install a new set of batteries just in case.

Regardless, question still stands ... not sure how I would tell if the batteries are good or not (or even if there is a way). I would assume there's a red light or something in the viewfinder that illuminates in low light, but so far haven't been able to make it do anything. Perhaps the batteries control exposure completely automatically without any indication to the user...?
01-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Power winder?

Anyone have experience with the Auto 110 motordrive?

Installed a fresh set of batteries. When disconnected from the camera, turning the power switch on causes the motor to run constantly. The winder doesn't turn (nothing visible moves), I just hear the motor running constantly.

When connected to the camera, same symptom exactly. Camera behaves as if the motor drive isn't attached, but the motor sounds like it's running constantly.