Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Super Program Longevity

New to the forums. However, I've been a lurker for a while and briefly introduced myself in the Intro forum a couple of weeks back. I've been using my newly purchased '83 vintage K1000 and have been having an absolute blast with it!

Anyway, after a week of buying lenses (it's becoming an addiction already), among them another SMC M 1:1.7 50 mm in mint condition from Craigslist, a nice SMC M 1:3.5 135 mm from a fellow forum member and best of all, a Super Program in mint condition with an SMC A 1:1.7 50 mm lens attached to it from the Goodwill store in Boston for $40! Even has the original Pentax red logo strap...The mirror foam and door seals look good with no sticky residue on the inside edge of the film door. After replacing the batteries, all appears to be working and I'm quickly falling for this little piece. It's just the right size, is a great looker and has the handy hand grip. We shall see if it performs after throwing in a roll of b&w.

My question is, what is the expected longevity of the LCD display? The readout on this example seems fine but if it does fade out for whatever reason, should the camera be thrown away or would it be feasible to have it repaired?

01-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know how long one will last, probably not forever. However, I have one that is still going strong.
01-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

They last a long long time and when they do finally kinck the bucket, they give plenty of warning. Think about a car radio; They start to go after about 5 years after being used an hour a day. That's over 1500 hours of use before failure. If the LCD is active for about a minute for every shot, it should be fine for at least 100000 shots... I don't think the shutter is even rated to that!
01-24-2010, 03:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Considering I have a calculator from 1984 and the LCD looks fine, I'd say longevity os not a problem

Now, the LCD in those cameras is backlit, by the available light (see a clear/white bar on the prism housing?) so when available light is not bright you can't see much.
Or when you put a shadow/hand on top of the bar.

01-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #5

LCD longevity.....

Hello:

I have three (one purchased back in the mid '80s) and they all still are going strong. If a LCD segment of the display fails you usually will have most if it still working. Could make for an interesting time trying to interpret what is being displayed, but unless you expose the camera to extreme temperatures (too high or too low, but I can't tell you offhand what they are) the LCD will continue to work. That and allowing the camera to suffer a serious physical shock.

One note I will mention is this, if your entire display is fading, replace the batteries. The camera will still work for a while but dimming LCD displays is a good indicator it's time to get new ones. Don't wait til the display starts flashing 'ooo" at you.

I hope this helps.

Ed
01-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I was a little worried because there is some (what looks like) slight crystalization in the bottom corner of the right LCD in the viewfinder. Like I said, a roll of film will determine how everything's working. I'll be sure to post images once they're done.