Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Super Program bad gummy seals

My Super Program needs repair. The seals are gummy and falling out all inside the camera. Some have even made their way onto the focusing screen above the mirror.

I sent it off to Eric ( he works on Pentax---from information on this forum) and hope to get it back pretty soon. Anyone had work done by him and were you satisfied???

ALSO: I found a Pentax ZX30 w/Pentax 50mm lens, at a garage sale for 5 dollars, that seems to work ok. It looks very clean and doesn't look like it was used much.
I will have to put brand new batteries in it and run some film through it.

01-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Eric CLA'd my LX.

He did a great job.

I'll be sending him my K1000 soon.
01-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eric Hendrickson has received numerous, numerous positive comments from Forum Members, many of whom have sent him their cameras for decades. He has CLA'ed all of my film cameras and I highly recommend him. Eric is a member here.

Go the this location in the Camera Repair and Service database for information and visit his website for further insight.
01-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You will be happy with Eric's work. He did my KX.

Too bad your screen got gummied. I usually like to do my own seals, but cleaning a sullied screen is beyond my skills and usually means a trip to the shop.

Steve

01-28-2010, 05:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

For ligths seals a 10 dollar kit from Jon Goodman does the trick for me.

Now a MZ30 for $5 is a great find, and if the lens is a FA-50 (Autofocus) even better....
01-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
For ligths seals a 10 dollar kit from Jon Goodman does the trick for me.

Now a MZ30 for $5 is a great find, and if the lens is a FA-50 (Autofocus) even better....
Unfortunately for the OP, his screen got gummed up too. Cleaning that is a job for the pros.

Steve
01-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
My thoughts exactly... if it's an autofocus Pentax 50mm then it's worth $150 minimum!

01-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #8

I bought a $10 kit and it came with 2 new batteries too.

I am good with my hands and meticulous. I was able to do a good job of it, if I say so myself. Even cleaning and replacing the mirror light seal, came out good. I had a major light leak that this fixed.

I wouldnt try a seal kit though unless you have good steady hands. I think you could get into trouble doing the mirror or even hitting the shutter curtain.
01-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Eric Hendrickson has received numerous, numerous positive comments from Forum Members, many of whom have sent him their cameras for decades. He has CLA'ed all of my film cameras and I highly recommend him. Eric is a member here.

Go the this location in the Camera Repair and Service database for information and visit his website for further insight.
That is great to hear.

I sent it yesterday morning.

And the lens on the ZX30 is a Pentax SMC F- 50mm F1.7. I got a great deal on that camera w/lens.
01-31-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Eric emailed and said he finished the Super Program repairs already, and will be sending it back on Monday !!!!

That is FAST service !!!
01-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My LX has the same disease.
01-31-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FLOPGUY Quote

I wouldnt try a seal kit though unless you have good steady hands. I think you could get into trouble doing the mirror or even hitting the shutter curtain.
Well, steady hands and sometimes patience will help you doing the job, but you can protect the shutter curtain simply by putting some blank film over it.

(That said, I've got a Super A here I plan to see about sending him for a CLA and all, sooner or later. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-31-2010 at 08:57 PM.
01-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dimeman Quote
That is great to hear.

I sent it yesterday morning.

And the lens on the ZX30 is a Pentax SMC F- 50mm F1.7. I got a great deal on that camera w/lens.
I paid close to $200 to get that same lens earlier this year. If it works at all you got an awesome deal.
02-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #14

I've had two cameras CLA'd by Eric Hendrickson and another on the way back to me soon. You should be quite happy.

I will say that I'd recommend running a quick test roll through the camera before going out on any serious shooting. One of my cameras came back with a flash sync problem, and the other came back with a shutter problem. Just my luck to get 2 intermittent problems out of 2 cameras. Eric made good on both jobs.

I buy color negative film on sale at Walgreens and send it through their 1-hour film destruction system as my test roll- quick, cheap, shows me what I need to see.

The 50mm f1.7- same optical formula through the various models- is a fantastic lens.
02-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dandaniel Quote

I buy color negative film on sale at Walgreens and send it through their 1-hour film destruction system as my test roll- quick, cheap, shows me what I need to see.
That is exactly what I did when I brought this body out of retirement, and how I found some issues. I still have some GOLD left over.