Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Old flashes and newer bodies

At what generation of bodies do you need to worry about the trigger voltage of an attached flash? For example, I have a Super Program, A P3n and a P30t. Which of these do I need to be concerned about?

02-12-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a good question. With any of the mechanical bodies (right up to the LX) you're good with high trigger voltage units. But with Z, M, P and PZ bodies, some (don't know which) will have electronic triggers. There's where you could have an issue. I wonder if Pentax can tell you or possibly Eric would know for sure.

If it were me, I'd get a safe sync if you value the cameras though.
02-13-2010, 02:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, I did stick a high voltage flash on my spare MZ-M (I have it for parts, it scratches the film something fierce), and fired off a few shots. Camera appears to be OK.

In any case, I think it would be prudent to only use low voltage flashes on your bodies with electronic triggers, or do what Peter Zack suggested.
02-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
That's a good question. With any of the mechanical bodies (right up to the LX) you're good with high trigger voltage units. But with Z, M, P and PZ bodies, some (don't know which) will have electronic triggers. There's where you could have an issue. I wonder if Pentax can tell you or possibly Eric would know for sure.

If it were me, I'd get a safe sync if you value the cameras though.
Eric would be the best bet. Pentax has always been dodgy with their answer to this.

02-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I would say that if is TTL flash then you should worry, X-Flash not so much. So you should probably worry about your cameras. The Pentax Flahes of the early TTL era were all 6v safe for a reason!
02-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I treat all my electronic bodies as if they were digital. the cost of a safe sync or even radio poppers is less than a repair or 2
I really wish that they never stopped making Sync plugs on camera bodies. It's nice having the option, when you aren't sure about a flashes trigger voltage.
02-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I treat all my electronic bodies as if they were digital. the cost of a safe sync or even radio poppers is less than a repair or 2
I really wish that they never stopped making Sync plugs on camera bodies. It's nice having the option, when you aren't sure about a flashes trigger voltage.
Do you mean it is ok to use a higher voltage flash if I plug it into the PC socket, IE: a handle mount flash?

02-16-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

If LL meant that it's not correct. The PC socket is directly connected to the flash trigger circuit and unless the body specifically has a voltage limiter (like the K-7 but not the K20D for example) then using the PC socket is no guarnatee that your camera is protected from a high voltage flash.