Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CBA-Pentax SV

Well the last thing I needed was another camera but I couldn't resist. Pulled the trigger today on an SV+ Super Tak 55/1.8 for the high price of $25 plus $10 shipping.
I'm pretty excited, it will be my first screwmount body. According to the seller, everything is working and it looks to be in good condition. I'm sure a CLA would be a big plus for it.

Any tips/pointers on this model would be much appreciated.

Swift1

02-19-2010, 11:35 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Awesome find! I've been contemplating that combination myself, after following the "Sightseeing Screwmount" thread. Post some pics when you get a chance.
02-19-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ya the Sightseer thread definitely got me more interested in finding an SV.
Will definitely post some pics as soon as I get some.

Swift1
02-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've got a Super Tak 55mm f/1.8 and it's one of the best lenses I have. Only suggestion I have there is to shoot, shoot, shoot!

No FHE with anything older than a Spottie though.

02-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree: shoot, shoot, shoot. I recently came back to screwmount gear (after being away for a few years), and I am thoroughly enjoying being back--and using my Spotmatic SP II. The screwmount body is simply a wonderful body--period. I do not know why some complain about the mount. It has never hindered me.

Anyway, I find that the Spotmatics have the perfect balance of useful features and simplicity. I think Pentax executed this better than any other Japanese manuafacturer. I liked my Spot Fs, but actually prefer the earlier SP II. I like not having to worry about turning off the meter via the lens cap. I am sure you will enjoy the SV. I also have an SL on the way (the first in the Spotmatic line). I have considered looking for a nice SV, and probably will end up owning one at some point.
03-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So my SV showed up in the mail today. I found out after opening the package that it is not working :-( contrary to the ebay listing. It seems to be having trouble with the rear shutter curtain sticking open. Hopefully nothing a good CLA won't fix. Cosmetically both the lens and body are in excellent condition and since I was planning on getting it CLA'd I figure it is still a good deal for $25+ shipping I paid for both the body and lens.
I was hoping to be able to shoot some film with it and put off the CLA for awhile but it looks like I will be shipping it to Eric soon.

Swift1
03-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Word of caution. If your every plan to use a Super Tak 50mm f1.4 on there, make sure that your SV is the "late" version. The early version won't have enough clearance in the mirror cage and whack smack crack goes the mirror . . .

03-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Blue. I had read about that on the Sightseeing Screwmount thread. I think I have the late version. Mine has the orange R on the rewind crank.

Swift1
03-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Too bad the camera was DOA. Hopefully the seller will compensate you a few bucks. Be prepared for a big grin when you get the camera back into good condition. While the viewfinder is a bit dim by most standards, the user experience with the SV is very pleasant.

Steve
04-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Woohoo, my SV just got back from getting CLA'd by Eric. Now it's good as new. Already loaded a roll of film in it and have shot 10 frames with it. So far I'm loving it.
Will post pics once I get some developed.

Swift1
04-07-2010, 06:37 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You mentioned that yours had the orange R on the rewind crank and this is indeed one indicator of the late model SV. But just in case, since the rewind crank can be replaced, the best way to determine early vs late models is by the latch. If the film door latch is attached to the door itself, it is an early model...if it's attached to the body, it is a late model.

Either way you have a great camera. My first Pentax was an SV about 40 years ago that I eventually sold to a squadron mate so that I could buy a new SP II. I still have the Spottie but I wish I still had that SV. Regarding the 10 shots you've made, are you using a meter or Sunny F16?

CW
04-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Do you SV users find that the viewfinder is dimmer than the Spotmatic series has? I've seen an early model SV but it had some funky 300mm f/5.6 lens on it that wouldn't allow the mirror to come down, and so the VF was blank. It'd be interesting to compare, anyway.

Not that I need another screw-mount body, I've got 4...
04-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's a shot from the first roll. Shot with 55/1.8 Super Tak and Fujicolor 200

My SV has the door latch on the body so it must be a later version.

I ihave never used a Sottie so don't know what the viewfinder is like. The SV VF seems comparable to me ME.

Swift1
04-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Woohoo, my SV just got back from getting CLA'd by Eric. Now it's good as new. Already loaded a roll of film in it and have shot 10 frames with it. So far I'm loving it.
Will post pics once I get some developed.

Swift1
Your "Buy one for thirty bucks, it's broken, the rear curtain sticks, It's been CLA'd by Eric" experience is absolutely identical to mine.

I didn't complain to my ebay seller though, as my $30 also bought a Vivitar 285

I ran a roll through mine and I love it. I'll get some Ektar back from it tomorrow.
04-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Your "Buy one for thirty bucks, it's broken, the rear curtain sticks, It's been CLA'd by Eric" experience is absolutely identical to mine.

I didn't complain to my ebay seller though, as my $30 also bought a Vivitar 285

I ran a roll through mine and I love it. I'll get some Ektar back from it tomorrow.
Haha, awesome. I really like the camera so far. So much so that I loaded my first ever roll of Kodakchrome ( I have 6 rolls that have been frozen since 1997)in it tonight.

Swift1