Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Film Life

How long can a roll of film stay in the camera before it should be removed?

03-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Some people have developed film that had been in a camera for more than 4 decades and still got images out of it. I think it will depend more on conditions adn ISO than time, hotter temperatures and higher ISO means film will not keep as long.

Personally I think I have had film in a camera for over one year and not been able to see the difference between the first shot and the last shot on the roll. One day in the glove box of a black car on a hot day may be more determental that the one year in a house
03-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok thanks I was just wondering if I put the film in now would I still be able to take pictures for the next month or 2.
03-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It also depends on if the film is color or BW.
-

03-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have gotten images out of color film that was in the camera for more than five years--not good photos, mind you, but photos.
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Ok thanks I was just wondering if I put the film in now would I still be able to take pictures for the next month or 2.
That length of time would be fine as long as there are no light leaks and not stored in high temps.
03-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Consumer rated film have a shelf life around 10years? (i forget) till they reach an optimum, "pro" rated film (longer if frozen, about1 month in your bag..not tosay it goes bad just you might end up with huge colour shifts) are at optimum hence the need for refrigeration...optimum being the point at which the lab can produce exceptional prints for you; not that you can or won't get great prints from your 1-hr lab...which depends on the operator and not an "auto" channel standard made by FujiFilm, Kodak or whoever they buy their chemicals from.

03-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Film is Kodak Color Gold 200 asa date 04/2014
It's in my K-1000 now and the camera works just fine with no leaks...
03-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It's fine for a while, we get a lot of Gold film coming into the lab abused for a lot longer than a couple of months and it's still in good shape.
From what I've seen it's one of the better Consumer Grade films.
edit, I just remembered where your from. You probably don't want to leave your camera inside the hot car, but it should still be fine if you usually store it in a cooler environment, like your house.
03-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have processed Gold 200 that had been sitting for several years with good results. Fresher is better, particularly when there is a latent image, but there is really no need to worry assuming that you shoot and process within a reasonable time.

Steve
03-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
Forum Member

What happens to film if left in hot temperatures for long? Will they not develop pictures at all, ie gray frames?

I've got a single use camera thats been in the glovebox of hot LA summers but wanted to extract the film to shoot. I don't mind color shifts and other funky "lomo" results.
03-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asudef Quote
What happens to film if left in hot temperatures for long? Will they not develop pictures at all, ie gray frames?

I've got a single use camera thats been in the glovebox of hot LA summers but wanted to extract the film to shoot. I don't mind color shifts and other funky "lomo" results.
In that case I'd just junk it (actually bring it in for recycling)
Those cameras are usually junk at the best of times, and I can't imagine the results being acceptable after that treatment
03-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Color's bound to get weird pretty quickly if you've left it in a hot car... It's probably not worth the time to shoot.

I actually had a fairly big backlog of undeveloped consumer color negative film that had to wait some seven or more years before I could spare anything to develop them: the color was pretty off, but there were some treasures in there that are within range of making something nice with a scan and some post-processing.
03-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Another reason for me to leave Phoenix. Soon I won't be able to carry my P&S daily and leaving it in the SUVee. A few years ago my P&S was in the truck 24/7..the pictures all came back green. I tried touching them up with a program most tweeking the color scale. I was thinking about carrying a small ice cooler to store the camera .and packing it around when it gets hot.
03-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
I was thinking about carrying a small ice cooler to store the camera .and packing it around when it gets hot.
That's what I'd do, or bring along the digital instead
if you bring along a cooler it may not be a bad idea to cool it just a little somehow.
you really don't want to use ice, otherwise you'd have condensation problems
Possibly just a couple of waterbottles, wrapped in a towel.