Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focal plane adjustment for K1000

I just got my hands on my brother's K1000 and I was so excited that I went off and shot a whole roll at our Purim celebration this year. It was all indoor with low light and I had no flash so I shot everything wide open (A 50 mm/f2). When I got my pictures back it appears that the focal plane for everything I shot is closer than I anticipated. An example is below...

In case any one was wondering I was focusing on the lady in the blue house coat (not the purple dinosaur or the stairs in the foreground). Anyway all of my photos came out like this (although one did give me a pleasant surprise). But my tale of woe brings me to my question. Is there a way that I can adjust the focal plane on my camera, or I am stuck with getting fuzzy pictures when I shoot wide open?

03-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Can't see your pic!

Well, I would say that if what you see in the viewfinder doesn't translate to what you see on film, your mirror probably isn't resting in the right position. I'd check the mirror foam, it's probably perished.
03-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I checked the mirror, and it rests on hard rests in the body. Everything appears flush. I spoke to someone at my local camera shop and she said that the camera probably needs work but to check different lenses. I think that's what I'll do, but I'll shoot one of those focus guides to get a good idea of what's going on (then I'll panic).

Anyway here's the link to my photo hopefully this will work and you'll get an idea about what I'm talking about.

03-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Can't see the photo.
But take into account your shooting distance at F2.
10 feet gives you .92 foot DOF, with .44 in front, .48 in back of subject.
6 feet gives you .33 foot, with .16 in front, .17 in back of subject.
It is easy to miss focus wide open in poor light.