Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Fuji discontinuing films

QuoteQuote:
160s, 160c, 800z and T64 in "ALL SIZES" also Neopan 400 in 120 - GONE...
Interesting news about Fujicolor Pro - Page 11 - APUG

via

The Online Photographer: You Can't Trust Rumors

people more into portaits and weddings will probably be upset of the loss of the 160s and 800Z. 400H is probably the most popular and i'm guessing will stick around for a while longer.

i've stopped using color neg film and neopan 400 in 120 was hard to find in north america anyways. however, it's still sad to see films disappear. as long as they make and process Velvia 100, Provia 400X, Tri-X 400 and Delta 3200 i won't realy mind

03-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You know finding 120 isn't that hard at all Downtown Camera has stock, so do many other GTA bigger camera retailers and labs that specialize in wedding and portrait. The 160s hasn't actually been discontinued the formula is the same in the 160NS (Japanese 160s branding).

Last edited by Clicker; 03-13-2010 at 12:19 AM.
03-13-2010, 03:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I for one will be sad when the 160 ASA films are gone - Kodak and Fuji - as for me these have the characteristics I like, and are easy to guess-expose on older cameras.

I guess I'd better put that Neopan order in ASAP...
03-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You may be too late, Jussi. That explains why Adorama did not fill my Neopan 400 order. I have one roll left to use well.

Last edited by GeneV; 03-13-2010 at 08:22 AM.
03-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

So, how does everyone like Fomapan 400? That seems to be the only choice at the price of Neopan. How about Arista?

Neopan was terrrific because of the great results with little guilt about blowing through a roll.

Last edited by GeneV; 03-13-2010 at 08:26 AM.
03-13-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That doesn’t surprise me. I think Fuji’s biggest sellers are their slide films. (Especially the Velvia line)

I’ve always bought Fuji slide film, but never any negative. I use Kodak negative films instead.

Phil.
03-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

@Genev i'm old school almost everything done in a soup of D76, it never cooked the Foma 100 properly as i would have liked after my 5th roll i said never again price then was great vs the competition, prints were good but because of the unfamiliarity with processing times, i had to veer from the norm of my print flow, so being young and impatient i just stuck to my old favs in Kodak, HP and Agfa.

@gofour, i remember when Fuji started no one in the portrait/wedding industry wanted to use them so they price cut their way into the market lots of shooters saw the savings and decided "what the heck" but Fuji did produce some nice "punchy" images even on Kodak paper ...this then made Kodak to produce their new emulsions film and paper in the Portra series, it was too late because Fuji did their 'freebies" to almost everyone and captured a huge market share. I remember Kodak even tried to counter through the "pro passport" with pro pack samples lol a period where free film was the shooters bonus. Now i'm not quiet sure what market shares are at, probably almost a 50/50 split?

In the end competition here benefited the consumer and both companies provide amazing film and now that the digital era has arrived, there's a whole new user base never having used film being enticed by it's "mystique", well i'd like to think that.

btw any users of either 400CNs offering? I see Hinman using some.

Last edited by Clicker; 03-13-2010 at 09:46 AM.
03-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
@Genev i'm old school almost everything done in a soup of D76, it never cooked the Foma 100 properly as i would have liked after my 5th roll i said never again price then was great vs the competition, prints were good but because of the unfamiliarity with processing times, i had to veer from the norm of my print flow, so being young and impatient i just stuck to my old favs in Kodak, HP and Agfa.

I just changed out my last film order for HP5 in 120 rather than Neopan 400. For whatever reason, I was always more an Ilford HP guy than Tri-X.

I am a bit old school in limiting the films I use. There goes my plan to stick with the same emulsions across the film formats, since I bought a couple of bricks of LegacyPro. I don't stick to D-76, any more but changes in both film and developer at the same time is a recipe for unexpected results.
03-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll be sad about the passing o' the Neopan 400 in 120, as well as Tri-X in 220. I liked it in that size.

*checking freezer* Just three rolls left. Maybe four if I check the other bag...

I agree, though, Gene, on the too many new emulsions/developers: (And liking the HP5) I've been sort of shopping for a new look, bit by bit, though. Pretty slowly, as I've been crawling through film (and, on the plus side, my film stocks) while learning this digital thing.

(And here this was to be the Winter of Diafine... *looking at box.* It's like, you know if you mix this, we'll have to/get our chance to move. )
03-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Foma 400 in Xtol w/ 8 minutes in the stock dilution seems perfect, but what do I know. I've never seen Neopan 400 120, and didn't know it had existed until now. Losing the 160 films is a real shame. I have 4 160s left in the fridge now, though I haven't developed a single one yet! Maybe I ought to order a bunch... well, I'll do that when I have money for food.
03-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

re:160s

QuoteQuote:
Press Release:

Fujifilm Professional has announced the withdrawal of three of its films. The affected products are Neopan 400 120, Superia Reala 35mm, and Pro 160S 35mm.

The remaining films in the Pro 160S range are to be re-branded as Pro 160NS, to fall in line with a global name change. The film itself remains unaltered.

Fujifilm's Senior Product Manager for Professional Film, Russ Gunn, explained the move to halt production: "It is never good news to announce product discontinuations but unfortunately we have had to sacrifice some of our slower selling films to enable us to continue to produce and market our more popular formats. We have stocks of each of these films in storage and, depending on demand, there should be sufficient quantities to last for another six to eight months."

Gunn continued: "In the case of Neopan 400 120 our hand has been forced by environmental concerns over one of the raw materials used in its production."

In further product development news, from early Summer 2010 Fujifilm's ranges of 5in x4in and 10in x8in films will be packed as 20 sheet boxes instead of the current 10 sheet packs.
It's the 35mm they're discontinuing all other sizes will be re-branded 160NS
03-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It's the 35mm they're discontinuing all other sizes will be re-branded 160NS
I wonder what environmental concern exists with the 120 Neopan that does not exist with the 35mm?
03-14-2010, 12:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

@gofour, i remember when Fuji started no one in the portrait/wedding industry wanted to use them so they price cut their way into the market lots of shooters saw the savings and decided "what the heck" but Fuji did produce some nice "punchy" images even on Kodak paper ...this then made Kodak to produce their new emulsions film and paper in the Portra series, it was too late because Fuji did their 'freebies" to almost everyone and captured a huge market share. I remember Kodak even tried to counter through the "pro passport" with pro pack samples lol a period where free film was the shooters bonus. Now i'm not quiet sure what market shares are at, probably almost a 50/50 split?

In the end competition here benefited the consumer and both companies provide amazing film and now that the digital era has arrived, there's a whole new user base never having used film being enticed by it's "mystique", well i'd like to think that.

Sorry for temporarily thread jacking! I for one have always wanted to get into photography. And after having a DSLR for a little bit, I would now like to pick up film as well. I have a Super Program coming soon and as such I am really excited to run it though it's paces. I 'm doing my research right now as to what film to get :-) Thank for all the help and info!

theperception2008
03-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter

I'd like to see 2 or 3 niche companies take over production of some of the best of the best including Kodachrome. I think they could make it work even though the be giant conglomerates that are "too big to fail" can not. If this doesn't happen at some point, film users are going to end up the flukked.
03-14-2010, 12:04 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I wonder what environmental concern exists with the 120 Neopan that does not exist with the 35mm?
The film base itself is different between 35mm and 120 film. OTOH, I also wonder if the market has just dried up to the point it isn't worth making the stuff any longer.