Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
My thoughts on the life of film are the same for vinyl records, both will be around for decades.
...snip...
I like this thought regarding vinyl records, makes sense to me too.

Talking about the larger format setups, I saw a Pentax 6x7 kit with multiple lenses and accessories for sale locally recently. Can't afford it, but would love to at least go 6x4.5 eventually.

03-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The vinyl record is a good comparision. There is a difference with film that might make it work out differently. Once you bought your LP collection you had it for ever. Turntables last for years. The only thing you might need to replace is the phono cartridge.

Film is a consumable. If everyone stops making it, it will vanish quickly. Film also goes out of date just sitting (not true an LP). The chemicals to develop film (except Kodachrome) are nothing special so some company will make them. Guessing the Chinese will continue making film. They have lots of people that need to be employed.

Vacume tubes are also a great product that refused to die. They are still selling NOS (new old stock) tubes from the 20's! Love my tubes, love my LPs, Love my film.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #28 in compact camera forum. Enter #29. Any brand camera. Enter now!