Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Manual-advance SLRs and Multi-Exposure

I was reading through the review of the Pentax MX, and its stats say it can do multi-exposures, though the camera itself doesn't seem to have a multi-exposure lever like, say, a Konica Autoreflex T3, or a control like the *ist and PZ-1 do.

This prompted me to look at the manual. They tell you, as I suspected you could, if you really wanted to...that you wind the film tightly, press the rewind lever, then advance, which will cock the shutter without rewinding the film, allowing multiple exposures.

My question is...can't pretty much any Pentax manual SLR (Spottie, K1000, Super Program, ME Super, etc) do this? If so, why does the MX have Multi-exposure listed as a feature when they don't?

03-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On many manual advance SLR's you could hold down the rewind release button and then the advance lever and the film would not advance, but the shutter was reset. I know from first hand experience that the K1000 does not work this way.
03-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I was reading through the review of the Pentax MX, and its stats say it can do multi-exposures, though the camera itself doesn't seem to have a multi-exposure lever like, say, a Konica Autoreflex T3, or a control like the *ist and PZ-1 do.

This prompted me to look at the manual. They tell you, as I suspected you could, if you really wanted to...that you wind the film tightly, press the rewind lever, then advance, which will cock the shutter without rewinding the film, allowing multiple exposures.

My question is...can't pretty much any Pentax manual SLR (Spottie, K1000, Super Program, ME Super, etc) do this? If so, why does the MX have Multi-exposure listed as a feature when they don't?
I tried this out once on either a Super Program or ME Super (not sure) and it worked at the start of the roll but later on the multiple exposure frames didn't overlap exactly, or the separate frames overlapped each other without proper spacing. This was probably due to the looseness of the exposed film.
03-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I remember rightly, even the MX manual gave the directions for multi exposures. It is important to take your time for that!
1. before you start with the first expsoure, rewind the film crank, until the film gives resistance and is tensioned
2. take your first shot
3. press the film rewind lock button and hold the rewind knob (don't turn it), while recocking the shutter
4. take your next exposure…

The LX is much easier to use…

Ben

03-22-2010, 02:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Multi-Exposure

Have 2 ME sprs. and they have clutch that disengages film advance from shutter.
Its a small black button on bottom of body, for mutilple exposure, fire shutter,
press button (clutch),cock shutter, fire...and so on.
K1000 does not have this feature.
03-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

K1000 has the same, standard film rewind button on the bottom of the camera, and the K1000 manual has a page (#23) 'MULTIPLE EXPOSURE' telling you how to do it:

QuoteQuote:
"For deliberate multiple exposures, make the first exposure in the normal way. Then tighten the film by turning the rewind knob 'A', and keep hold of the rewind knob. Depress the film rewind release button 'B' and cock the rapid-wind lever. This cocks the shutter without advancing the film. Finally, release the shutter to make the second exposure. Then make one blank exposure, before taking the next picture, to avoid overlapping as registration may not be exact."
It seems that the issue here is that even when the film-rewind de-clutch has been engaged, there's still enough friction remaining on the film advance when the shutter is re-armed that if you don't hold the film in place with the rewind knob, it may partially advance, and your second exposure won't line up with the first.

As far as I know, all the manual film-advance cameras work the same way. Looking at the instructions for the LX, it is similar in concept, but a bit better because the exposure counter & advance is more robust & precise so you can relatively easily rewind backwards multiple frames by watching the counter -- the counter will count down backwards with high precision as you rewind film (they claim 0.2mm tolerance!). This is detailed on page 32 of the LX manual.
03-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
...As far as I know, all the manual film-advance cameras work the same way...
This is even true for non-Pentax 35mm cameras.

Steve

(Both of my XR Ricohs are one-up on the Pentax products...they have a ME switch )

03-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
K1000 has the same, standard film rewind button on the bottom of the camera, and the K1000 manual has a page (#23) 'MULTIPLE EXPOSURE' telling you how to do it:

It seems that the issue here is that even when the film-rewind de-clutch has been engaged, there's still enough friction remaining on the film advance when the shutter is re-armed that if you don't hold the film in place with the rewind knob, it may partially advance, and your second exposure won't line up with the first.
While Pentax may have included instructions in the manual I can tell you from experience that it does not work. Even if you hold the rewind knob and press the film-rewind de-clutch, it does not release the film and you can not actuate the film advance lever.
03-25-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is even true for non-Pentax 35mm cameras.

Steve

(Both of my XR Ricohs are one-up on the Pentax products...they have a ME switch )
My Ricoh-made Sears KS Auto has an ME switch...plus a diagonal focusing screen, aperture preview, self-timer with mirror lock-up, internal viewfinder-cover....

It's one of the most feature-rich MF cameras I own. It, and formerly, my Konica Autoreflex T3.
03-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
My Ricoh-made Sears KS Auto has an ME switch...plus a diagonal focusing screen, aperture preview, self-timer with mirror lock-up, internal viewfinder-cover....

It's one of the most feature-rich MF cameras I own. It, and formerly, my Konica Autoreflex T3.
Sears KS Auto...aka Ricoh XR-2(s). Mine is the Ricoh variant.

Steve
03-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a Pentax film camera, and I own it.

From the camera manual, page 50.
  1. Setting the multi-exposure mode
    1. Turn the camera on
    2. Turn the drive switch to [[]]
  2. Using the multi-exposure mode
    1. Take the first picture
    2. Take the second picture
    3. -MEMO- Subsequent pictures will be exposed on the same frame until the multi-exposure mode is cancelled.
  3. Cancelling the multi-exposure mode
    1. Turn the drive switch to any setting except [[]]
    2. The multi-exposure mode is cancelled, and the film advances to the next frame.
    3. -MEMO- The multi-exposure mode remains in effect even if the camera is turned [OFF]. To cancel multi-exposure mode, turn the drive switch to another setting.