Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera Sounds...

When I got my Super Program, I noticed that the film winding sound it makes is very cool.

I notice that the LX my friend has produces a very loud mirror slap.

I also noticed that the *ist, K10D, and PZ-1 I have all produce very different noises with their various motors, shutters, and mirror slaps.

Does anyone here admit to being able to distinguish Pentax camera models by sound?

Do you think Pentax cameras are better-sounding than their generally quieter Canikon counterparts?

What is the best sounding Pentax camera?

For me, the PZ-1 (which is having issues, as described in another thread) wins it for me. The loud, satisfying thunk of the mirror combined with the noisy but not whiny winding motor sounds good.

03-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K2 shutter is music to my ears!!

Phil.
03-19-2010, 01:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

In my experience so far (see sig + MZ-50), the Super Program sounds the best. It's also the loudest of mine Great fun. I quite like the sound of my digital K200D also.
03-19-2010, 04:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
... I notice that the LX my friend has produces a very loud mirror slap. ...
That's an interesting observation. To me, the LX isn't loud at all. I wonder if that is a matter of personal perception, or different production runs, or individual camera condition.

The K1000(/KM/Spotmatic) mechanism sounds downright goofy at slow shutter speeds.

Among the Pentaxes I've owned, the most pleasant sound comes from the ME Super. Controlled, positive, softly authoritative.

03-19-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
That's an interesting observation. To me, the LX isn't loud at all. I wonder if that is a matter of personal perception, or different production runs, or individual camera condition.

The K1000(/KM/Spotmatic) mechanism sounds downright goofy at slow shutter speeds.

Among the Pentaxes I've owned, the most pleasant sound comes from the ME Super. Controlled, positive, softly authoritative.
We were at the Natural History Museum in downtown DC, and I heard his shutter go off from across one of the galleries. Maybe I just knew what to listen for...but there were plenty of people around, it wasn't silent in there. Maybe his mirror bumper is shot.

The K1000/SP mechanism is a little goofy down low....like a cross between an egg timer, a trebuchet and a mouse trap.

The *ist I have has the oddest shutter sound...very whiny and electrical, with hardly any sound of the mirror slap itself at all. Maybe that's because of the good repair of the mirror bumpers and the relative small and plasticy outer shell that lets all the sound of the motors out.

I do like the ME Super's shutter best of my MF cameras, but when I advance the film in the Super Program, it makes a really great mechanical clicking sound as you let the lever ratchet back to rest. Like the clean, mechanical click of a revolver being cocked.

Still, the PZ-1 has just the best sound. It's the definitive Auto-advance SLR camera shutter actuation sound.
03-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ah, the sound of 6x7 mirror slap & shutter...
03-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Pentax SV...The smooth silky note of the shutter was the first thing I noticed when I was using the "Sightseeing Screwmount".

Steve

03-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Pentax SV...The smooth silky note of the shutter was the first thing I noticed when I was using the "Sightseeing Screwmount".

Steve
I'll be getting my SV back from Eric early next week, so I'll be able to see what you mean...
03-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some may like it, but the conventional wisdom is that noise produced by SLR cameras is objectionable.
At one time most manufacturers sought to make their models as quiet and unobtrusive as possible.

Chris
03-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I was astonished at how pleasant the sound is. I'm really looking forward to round 2 with the SV!

K2 ain't bad, either.
03-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Does anyone here admit to being able to distinguish Pentax camera models by sound?
One of Pentax's cameras makes a sound both distinguishable and louder than any other. You can't mistake it that's for sure. The Pentax 6x7
03-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
One of Pentax's cameras makes a sound both distinguishable and louder than any other. You can't mistake it that's for sure. The Pentax 6x7
The delicate sound of thunder!!!

I personally love the "clunk" of mechanical cameras; the Spottie and KX sound the same. A LOT softer than the Nikon F; but a lot louder than any leaf shutter camera.
The ME and Programs make a softer sound, and since their shutter is electronic the sound is crispier. Close to the Nikon FE
The MZ are very quiet, if it wasnt for the ugly sound of the film transport
03-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

...The K1000/SP mechanism is a little goofy down low....like a cross between an egg timer, a trebuchet and a mouse trap....
Beautifully described.
03-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys might like the Nikon FM2n with MD-12 motor drive then.
The combo is loud enough to frighten children and drive off small animals...

Chris
03-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Some may like it, but the conventional wisdom is that noise produced by SLR cameras is objectionable.
At one time most manufacturers sought to make their models as quiet and unobtrusive as possible.

Chris
Many people find automobile engine noise objectionable, but then car enthusiasts love a good exhaust note.

SLRs do make a lot of noise, but for those times when I have to be quiet I have my Optio A40 and Yashica Electro 35...

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
The delicate sound of thunder!!!

I personally love the "clunk" of mechanical cameras; the Spottie and KX sound the same. A LOT softer than the Nikon F; but a lot louder than any leaf shutter camera.
The ME and Programs make a softer sound, and since their shutter is electronic the sound is crispier. Close to the Nikon FE
The MZ are very quiet, if it wasnt for the ugly sound of the film transport
I would beg to differ about leaf shutter cameras...the Mamiya RB67 has a very quiet shutter, but that massive screen-door-sized mirror makes a lot of noise. It's not just the shutter making all those sounds.