Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That's a very good point. However, I haven't fired up my slide projector in nearly 10 years.

:BrownBag:
I used to feel the way Phil does. I enjoyed having a pretty, positive image in my hand. But using a light table and loupe is not a very convenient or comfortable way to enjoy and share the images compared to the screen on a computer or a print. I did fire up my slide projector a couple of years ago---and that was when I got serious about scanning my old slides.

03-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually it’s still really easy to get parts for your slide projector; bulbs, trays, lenses and so on. (As well as projectors themselves) So there is no excuse for you guys!

Trust me there is nothing that will impress your family or friends more than a slide show!! You can put on some nice music like the “Saturday Night Fever” sound track and you’re all set. Of course you’ll be serving a Fondue afterwards.

That’s one reason I’m sticking to slides, so that I don’t have to deal with scanned images on my computer. I only get scans done if I post something on the forum or send an image to someone.

I just got a roll of Fuji Velvia 50 ASA processed & mounted today, which along with the 100 ASA version, is my Kodachrome replacement. I have three E6 processing labs within a couple minutes of where I live.

Stuck in the 70's Phil.
03-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My projector works and I have spare bulbs somewhere . . . I have moved a couple of times and slept few more so it would take me a while to find them.
03-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #19
Site Supporter

The biggest issue that I see with the loss of Kodachrome is the loss of its archival quality. When I look at images taken 50, 60 and 70 years ago including WWII, I'm amazed at how they have held up. Who knows what digital will be like in 75 years or if anyone will have a clue what that tin box with Seagate on it is or how to access what's in it.

03-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #20
Forum Member

From my own reading, it would appear that the only film niche still going strong is high-end advertising and landscape photography, both in larger formats than 35mm. A few wedding photogs offer black & white 35mm film as an option, so I hear. Those are professional though, and your interest is consumer. I would have thought film was dead even though I use it as the basis of my work, but whatever local 1-hour lab I visit, they claim to be pretty busy, doing too much business to worry about being shut down by corporate anytime soon. They now can do only 35mm or APS for C-41 processing, but that's fine for many folks. I think your study could get interesting, since film sales are tiny but a little too big to ignore and hand over to the competition, and are too small to justify traditional advertising, which would need to be aimed at a segment (pros) who are less gullible/leadable than consumers. How to properly market one brand or type of film to its niche would be a fun project, especially when the niche is not one group but a mix, like wedding photographers and kids rediscovering film photography because the used hardware is so cheap.
03-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #21
Site Supporter

I think that marketing for future film will have to look at the niche market in the context of the enthusiasts and professionals that use film. I live in the State Capital of Florida and I can only get next day on c-41 at the only B & M in town. Everyone else including Walfart sends out. I guess Walfart and Target has a central facility somewhere that does it. To get B&W developed its even more challenging. The implosion for film is locally severe.
03-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think that marketing for future film will have to look at the niche market in the context of the enthusiasts and professionals that use film. I live in the State Capital of Florida and I can only get next day on c-41 at the only B & M in town. Everyone else including Walfart sends out. I guess Walfart and Target has a central facility somewhere that does it. To get B&W developed its even more challenging. The implosion for film is locally severe.
That sounds pretty bad. I know of at least 7 1-hour labs within 10 miles of my home. One of those does medium format C41 in addition to 35mm and APS. If I need the services of a pro lab, there are half a dozen choices within 30 miles of me. I guess that makes the Portland/Vancouver area the center of the film photography universe! <happy happy>

Steve

(Thankful that photography in general is a popular hobby around here...we actually have stores with Pentax in stock...)

03-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That sounds pretty bad. I know of at least 7 1-hour labs within 10 miles of my home. One of those does medium format C41 in addition to 35mm and APS. If I need the services of a pro lab, there are half a dozen choices within 30 miles of me. I guess that makes the Portland/Vancouver area the center of the film photography universe! <happy happy>

Steve

(Thankful that photography in general is a popular hobby around here...we actually have stores with Pentax in stock...)
The B & M will do any size film in C41 except 110 with a 24 hour turn around. The send black & white out. Outside of that, it is pretty bad. Even the drugstores have quit film on us here. 2 years ago I had about 5 1-hour photos within 15 miles and now 0.

Edit: I guess I'll have to make do with DWayne's and Blue Moon and do the B & W myself.

Edit: Edit: To make matters worse, my college kicked us out of the Dark Room last summer. I have the enlarger on my desk.

Last edited by Blue; 03-23-2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: typo
03-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...Edit: I guess I'll have to make do with DeWayne's and Blue Moon and do the B & W myself...
Funny that even though we live on opposite coasts, we use the same labs! My Kodachrome 64 goes to Dwayne's and my Ektar 100 goes to Blue Moon. I don't have to pay postage on the Ektar however

Steve
03-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The last slide show I experienced was in Milwaukee in the early 1990s where I got the chance to see photographs from Lyle Oberwise, a reclusive photographer who chronicled the city for the better part of 50 years.
I say all this because it was a one-of-a-kind experience. There is something about film and slides that I have yet to experience in digital.
It reminds me of when I finally had the opportunity to actually see a silent film with background organ music at a theater.
It would be nice to see Kodachrome return but that ain't happening. (Costs are prohibitive and the environmental impact)
Hopefully, those who still enjoy film can still find them and let them do their magic. I do and yet I still enjoy digital. At the moment, it's the best of both worlds.
03-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The correct name of the world's only Kodachrome processor is Dwayne's Photo.

Their website: http://www.dwaynesphoto.com

Chris
03-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The correct name of the world's only Kodachrome processor is Dwayne's Photo.

Their website: http://www.dwaynesphoto.com

Chris
That's where I got my current stash of kodachrome. They called me when they got their last shipment and asked me how many I wanted because I had asked them to let me know when they got it in.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Funny that even though we live on opposite coasts, we use the same labs! My Kodachrome 64 goes to Dwayne's and my Ektar 100 goes to Blue Moon. I don't have to pay postage on the Ektar however

Steve
Blue Moon Camera & Machine is a cool quirky company!
03-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Blue Moon Camera & Machine is a cool quirky company!
It is even quirkier and more cool in person. In one cabinet are antique and collectible Zeiss, Leica, and Voigtlander. Directly adjacent are a couple of shelves with Holga and Lomo products. (Yes they have the Lomo Fisheye!) The used SLR shelves are nothing particularly special, but things get interesting again when you move on to the medium and large format stuff. I was in there one day and they had a huge, mint condition Gowlandflex on a tripod in the middle of the display floor...

Yes, it does shoot 4x5...

Steve
03-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #29

Original Poster
Thanks for your inputs.....greatly appreciated

Thank you guys, so far, for your inputs.

My team is analyzing the preliminary feedbacks from you and some other folks from other sources. My team is preparing a survey based on your inputs. We will use the survey response for our quantitative analysis.

Again, this is a marketing MBA project. So my team does not have to come up with a super positive result i.e. profitable brand revival. We are trying to figure out what is important to consumers (you) and if we can add those attributes to kodachrome (hypothetically), will it revive and to what extent?

I am sending some PMs requesting you to take part in the survey. So far, you guys have been very helpful, and I am hoping to get more support from you in the form of survey response for this particular project.

Cheers......

Subho

BTW, once this semster is over, I will go out and shoot some photos ..... the thing I have not done in months
03-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Edit: Edit: To make matters worse, my college kicked us out of the Dark Room last summer. I have the enlarger on my desk.
And this sort of situation is where things really go downhill.