Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
the consensus from the english comments seems to be shutter curtain. I honestly believe thats what it is in this case, but like everyone else has already stated, there are too many possibilities with this body.
Of course there are a lot of comments about how pretty it is. Perhaps the OP could put this body up on Ebay for Lomography and make some money.

03-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #32

Original Poster
^^ Yup I was actually thinking abt it when I 1st saw the 2nd Bad pic

I think I have a fair idea why the 2nd pic got so bad.. reason might be cause I was using the Vivitar 70-150mm f3.8 push pull zoom lens which magnified the leak ..
03-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mypentaxticworld Quote
^^ Yup I was actually thinking abt it when I 1st saw the 2nd Bad pic

I think I have a fair idea why the 2nd pic got so bad.. reason might be cause I was using the Vivitar 70-150mm f3.8 push pull zoom lens which magnified the leak ..
In other words, the light from the leak was bouncing around the elements of the zoom?
03-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
In other words, the light from the leak was bouncing around the elements of the zoom?
I suspect if that's a factor, it's that the longer FL might mean the light is striking the shutter curtain leaks more directly? (Thus going straighter through the holes? )

03-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Of course there are a lot of comments about how pretty it is. Perhaps the OP could put this body up on Ebay for Lomography and make some money.

the irony, someone will buy it for said description ..lol
03-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I would have thought that if there was pinhole damage on the shutter curtain, the odd marks would appear in the same place on every frame. Looking at the two samples, this doesn't seem to be the case.

It could just be a bad film or poor proccessing.

Most of the time when I am shooting film, I wind the next shot immediately. Sometime I do not.

Other people might do the reverse.

If the pinholes are in only one curtain, and it is the curtain that is usually NOT in front of the film, you might only see this once in a while... when you don't do what you normally do.

Am I being clear? I would not discount a suspect curtain, and I'd test for light leaks on BOTH of the curtains.

woof
03-22-2010, 12:45 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Most of the time when I am shooting film, I wind the next shot immediately. Sometime I do not.

Other people might do the reverse.

If the pinholes are in only one curtain, and it is the curtain that is usually NOT in front of the film, you might only see this once in a while... when you don't do what you normally do.

Am I being clear? I would not discount a suspect curtain, and I'd test for light leaks on BOTH of the curtains.

woof
Yes I understand what you are saying but the OP has posted two pictures where the light spots are in different positions and he has posted pictures where there are no light spots. I understand what you are saying about shooting immediately after winding but it only takes 1/1000 second to leave an impression. The OP also said that only 5 or 6 shots came out with the spots. I personally don't think its the curtains but we'll all have a better idea when he runs another roll through the camera, preferably using film from another batch.

03-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Yes I understand what you are saying but the OP has posted two pictures where the light spots are in different positions and he has posted pictures where there are no light spots. I understand what you are saying about shooting immediately after winding but it only takes 1/1000 second to leave an impression. The OP also said that only 5 or 6 shots came out with the spots. I personally don't think its the curtains but we'll all have a better idea when he runs another roll through the camera, preferably using film from another batch.
My assumption from the discussion here and my understanding of a FP shutter is that the leaks are in the second curtain and further back. If it were the first curtain, which I think is closed most of the time, he would probably have a spot of some kind on more exposures. If it is the second, then so long as the shutter speed is 1/60 or less, the shutter opens fully, and the back end of the second curtain is not exposed, so no spots would appear. Only if the shutter speed gets fast, and the slit gets small and moves across the film, does the back end of the second curtain unroll and come into play. There could be more than one hole there, putting spots in different locations, and the beams of light could be bouncing around.

The real test of this theory is to record the shutter speeds for each exposure and look at the leak. If it is happening at X-sync and slower shutter speeds, then my hypothesis is rubbish. All of these shots seem to be in fairly good light, so one can't guess from looking at them what the exposure information is likely to be.
03-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #39
Pentaxian

My assumption from the discussion here and my understanding of a FP shutter is that the leaks are in the second curtain and further back. If it were the first curtain, which I think is closed most of the time, he would probably have a spot of some kind on more exposures. If it is the second, then so long as the shutter speed is 1/60 or less, the shutter opens fully, and the back end of the second curtain is not exposed, so no spots would appear. Only if the shutter speed gets fast, and the slit gets small and moves across the film, does the back end of the second curtain unroll and come into play. There could be more than one hole there, putting spots in different locations, and the beams of light could be bouncing around.
What you said does make sense. However I do get the gut feeling that the problem is with the film or processing but I'm no expert. I will be really interested to know what the outcome is.
03-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2nd pic is after I rewind .. the curtain look messed up .. can that be an issue?
Looks like your mirror damper is missing.
03-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #41
Veteran Member

What you said does make sense. However I do get the gut feeling that the problem is with the film or processing but I'm no expert. I will be really interested to know what the outcome is.
I understand, because that was my first impression before seeing just how nasty that camera body was. It seemed too much a coincidence if it were not the camera. I have never seen one in such abysmal shape that functioned at all. It could also be more than one issue.
03-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #42
Inactive Account

I understand, because that was my first impression before seeing just how nasty that camera body was. It seemed too much a coincidence if it were not the camera. I have never seen one in such abysmal shape that functioned at all. It could also be more than one issue.
I agree.
QuoteQuote:
Looks like the former owner bashed it on a rock before he tossed it in the lake.
03-30-2010, 04:59 AM   #43

Just one roll since I got it ....
I did a test .. after i advanced the rapid-wind lever, I held my cam pointing toward the sun to check the curtain & noticed few holes.
So guess I will have to replace the curtain or instantly shoot as soon as I re-wind the lever.. that did the trick for other exposures

thank you - everyone.
Santosh
Funny how we can get wrapped up in discussion. The culprit is the curtain, when cocked. (23 posts later)
03-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #44
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
The culprit is the curtain, when cocked. (23 posts later)
This is exactly what I predicted - but only seven posts ago... In the words of the Guinness commercials - BRILLIANT!

Shows how well I read the entire thread. The answer has been out there for quite some time. Heh.

woof!
03-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Shows how well I read the entire thread. The answer has been out there for quite some time. Heh.

woof!
I missed it too and all the time I was predicting that the problem was a film/developing problem.......... wrong!!!!!