Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Decent film slr??

Are there any decent auto focus film slr's that I can use my 18-55 kit lens on, and also the 10-17 DA that I plan on buying in about a week?

03-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have a PZ-70 in the Marketplace which will work with all screw driven AF lenses.

The problem is that you will get a heavy vignette with these lenses designed for cropped digital sensors. The image circle will probably not be large enough to cover the full 35mm frame.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 03-30-2010 at 05:47 AM.
03-30-2010, 04:10 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Aside from just vignette issues, if you want to have aperture control with the DA lenses, you will need a body that has a control for that. The PZ-1 and PZ-1p as well as (I think) single digit MZ bodies. I have used DA lenses on my PZ-1 as I was looking for the vignetting for what I was doing.
03-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What you need to control those two lenses are a camera that can control the aperture from the camera body. Manual Focus cameras that can do that are the Super Program and Program Plus. I have a Super Program and it's my favorite MF film body. Please note, though, that these 2 cameras need the aperture ring to do Aperture Priority AE. They will only do Program AE or Shutter Priority without one.

The MZ/ZX series can do it, as can the PZ, SF, and *ist film cameras, all of which I believe also can do autofocus (except the MZ-M). I have used my DA 18-55 on the *ist, Super Program, PZ-1 and ZX-30 without issues, except vignetting at the short end of the zoom.

The Sigma 10-20 also covers full frame at around 12mm and onward, and works fine on all these film bodies. Some of my favorite pics are from the Sigma 10-20mm on my *ist or Super Program.

03-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

PZ-70 can control the aperture. It is a prety decent camera too.
03-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html

this thread has samples of DA lens performance on film. there should be examples for bot hof your lenses.
03-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Don't quote me on this, but doesn't the PZ-1 go into Av only if you otherwise move the aperture ring away from A? Or can you set it using the scroll wheel? I forget now- but I do remember that that's how the MZ-S is

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some MZ / ZF bodies require an aperture ring to control the aperture size, and lose Av priority mode with DA lenses:

MZ-S
MZ-3 / MZ - 5N/ MZ - 5
MZ - M

Bodies that has aperture control on the body include MZ - L / MZ - 7, MZ - 50 (and probably the MZ -30 and 70 i believe)

Also, you probably won't want to use kit zoom / 16 - 50 on film due to the vignetting - its probably better to stick to DSLRs when you want to use these bodies. Else you'd be using the 40 - 50mm-ish range - and you can get a lot of cheap, fast 50s for those (e.g. a cheap 50mm/2 vs a 55mm /5.6 for the kit lens)
03-31-2010, 12:48 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Don't quote me on this, but doesn't the PZ-1 go into Av only if you otherwise move the aperture ring away from A? Or can you set it using the scroll wheel? I forget now- but I do remember that that's how the MZ-S is
I think you're right on that, but the OP was talking about using DA lenses. I have a couple, and an FA J lens, none have aperture rings, so are designed for the crippled mount, but operate as if they are always in A mode, so the thumb wheel on the PZ-1 works just fine with them.
03-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
I think you're right on that, but the OP was talking about using DA lenses. I have a couple, and an FA J lens, none have aperture rings, so are designed for the crippled mount, but operate as if they are always in A mode, so the thumb wheel on the PZ-1 works just fine with them.
I would definitely go for the pz-1 also

I have used it with not only k mounts but also Fa-J mount

for KA mount you don't get shutter priority when not in A but netting workf just fine
04-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To my understanding, some MZ / ZF bodies (eg. MZ-S, MZ-3, MZ-5, MZ-5N, MZ-M) require an aperture ring to control the aperture size. Using the new digital lens like the DA lenses will lose Av priority mode

Some camera bodies like MZ - L / MZ - 7, MZ - 50 (I have one of this) that has aperture control on the body.

Normally one will not want to use digital kit zoom lens on film due to the vignetting (unless for some creative photography purposes). IMO, it is probably better to stick to dSLRs when you want to use these bodies.
04-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #12

I believe any autofocus body will work with screw-driven lenses. I know my MZ-50 did work with the 18-55mm.
The problem is that the less being digital the glass isn't big enough, so you don't fill the frame, but if you just want to play aroun, go ahead!
04-12-2010, 03:57 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by edumad Quote
I believe any autofocus body will work with screw-driven lenses. I know my MZ-50 did work with the 18-55mm.
The problem is that the less being digital the glass isn't big enough, so you don't fill the frame, but if you just want to play aroun, go ahead!
Good point that I forgot to mention earlier. The film bodies, even those with the KAF2 contacts will not support SDM, only screw drive AF. Where the PZ-1 and a couple others shine is the ability to control the aperture manually from the body.
04-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
What you need to control those two lenses are a camera that can control the aperture from the camera body. Manual Focus cameras that can do that are the Super Program and Program Plus. I have a Super Program and it's my favorite MF film body. Please note, though, that these 2 cameras need the aperture ring to do Aperture Priority AE. They will only do Program AE or Shutter Priority without one.

The MZ/ZX series can do it, as can the PZ, SF, and *ist film cameras, all of which I believe also can do autofocus (except the MZ-M). I have used my DA 18-55 on the *ist, Super Program, PZ-1 and ZX-30 without issues, except vignetting at the short end of the zoom.

The Sigma 10-20 also covers full frame at around 12mm and onward, and works fine on all these film bodies. Some of my favorite pics are from the Sigma 10-20mm on my *ist or Super Program.
I will try my Sigma 10-20mm on my films bodies. It never occur me to try.

Thanks,
04-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
Good point that I forgot to mention earlier. The film bodies, even those with the KAF2 contacts will not support SDM, only screw drive AF. Where the PZ-1 and a couple others shine is the ability to control the aperture manually from the body.
I'm pretty sure that ALL the Pentax AF film cameras can control the aperture from the body. I know that my SF-1 can, and, if you don't count the ME-F, its Pentax' first AF camera. My ZX-60 will ONLY support lenses that can be controlled from the body. If you mount a non-A lens or move the aperture ring off the "A" setting, the top LCD flashes "F--" at you.