Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Film to digital

I used to have a love for these cameras for a long time now.
But I figured Digital is the way to go so I didn't even try to consider film.

I bought a k200 then a k20, but still I wasn't happy enough.
My next purchase was a perfectly working SP2, mosly for it's Takumar it acompanied it. I looked through the viewfinder and I was sold.
Next came an ME in EX condition. Can't believe the details and the workmanship. Quite loudly, tho'.
One Super A followed, operational, but the lcd in the viewfinder is cracked, so...

Next in line: a poor old broken ME Super. Shutter was jammed, mirror locked in up position, etc...
Took it apart, lube it, changed some lightseals and DIDN'T remove the dreaded rubber dumper. And I'm glad I took this decision.
Is the most quiet camera I ever owned, easiest to handle and best for my taste.
Is getting the most use, it's not an untouchable perfect princess, but a friend I have always with me.

Octav

04-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hmm..more like from digital to film.
I love the film bodies and their workings but technology just came and they had to be replaced.
It is now kinda costlier to buy film and have it processed rather than digital..although there is more excitement in film and more of craft.
You have to be good and deciplined at it not to mess up the whole roll.
04-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
It is now kinda costlier to buy film and have it processed rather than digital..
Actually I think that film photography is now cheaper than ever. Films are cheap and easy to buy and so is the chemistry or lab developing. The same comes to cameras. Just ten years ago when I was starting my photo experience I could just dream about cameras and lenses which I can buy now for really less than cheap. All thanks to digital
04-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have been using my FujiFilm S2 Pro a lot. It was cheap because it was old (and broken) and has an inherently faulty CCD (well.... had). Being a primitive DSLR, it's really easy to take a bad picture with it. I have learned more about photography with this camera then I ever did with my K1000. Film is a much much more forgiving media. And looks better too. I can bang away with my K100 and get a perfect contact sheet, most of the time. Digital has come a long way but film still has the advantage. I love digital because of the versatility (post processing) and economy. You're encouraged to take chances with digital. Film is how you max out your camera and lens though. Even with 12.1 MP interpolated, my S2 doesn't even come close to out performing my elcheapo Nikkor lens. The slides I take with my Pentax are equivalent to probably 30 MP resolution and twice the dynamic range. No comparison.
Two different animals and I love 'em both.

04-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I personally don't like shooting film as much. My main problem is that I can't ever seem to relax when I shoot film. I keep thinking "Well there's 25 cents" every time I click the shutter. While the quality of a film image is superb, I find that digital photography is much more enjoyable for me. I might have something to do with my generation though.
04-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@OP

and then you need to enter this sick thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/57517-introduc...lm-pentax.html

im one of the member of that thread , and still try to figure out how to unsubscribe from there.
04-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the answers.

Strange enough, this was meant to be a post in camera review section, for ME Super. But that's fine.
Yeah, I have to admit I use my K20D for a more professional interest, when shooting strobes, or in such situation that needs to be fast, with instant results.

Digital si nice, reliable and fast. And (almost) nobody would accept to risk using only film for let's say a wedding. I wouldn't.
But when I do street shooting, go on a trip, or just a walk, my choices are clear.
I use digital when shooting for other people and film for my own.

Well, at least for me that is.

Octav.

04-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
@OP

and then you need to enter this sick thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/57517-introduc...lm-pentax.html

im one of the member of that thread , and still try to figure out how to unsubscribe from there.
Been there. Not as a poster, since I don't like hangers, but as a viewer.

Unsubscribe? Easy: you access the thread and have at the top of the page the little red x mark, at top right that is.

Octav
04-12-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Shooting film is a bit nerve racking, once you've been spoiled by digital (in that respect). Knowing that once you press the shutter, it's done.

Getting proficient with digital photography (specifically my finicky S2) has made me a better photographer in general. I have shot thousands of actuations that I wouldn't have otherwise. I understand lighting better and the trade offs between contrast and detail. I've been able to fearlessly experiment with Bokeh and depth of field. Do lots of multiple exposures and just delete the failures. I've gotten pretty good with my circular polarizer and my flash. My macros are worthy. I've gotten much more creative with things like prospective and composition.
Last year, on vacation, I got some pretty nice snapshots with my K1000. I shot one roll of color and one B&W.
I picked it up and looked through the view finder the other day after 6 months of not touching it and wow! So big and bright! I can't wait to see how much I've improved since last July, thanks to my DSLR. I noticed last year that I spend a lot of time preparing for the shot, knowing there is no delete button and no do overs with film. I had been using a Pentax EI2000.

The thing about film though, is when you get it right, it's pretty awesome. To get the same results with digital, you'd spend $10,000. Making a good digital capture is tough if the conditions are less then ideal. Blown out highs and blacked out shadows are things you don't worry so much about with film. Digital captures sometimes lack the depth or dimension that we take for granted with film. Flat looking pictures in 35mm format are usually not a problem.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to shooting some film. I wanna try out my new skillz with a camera that will really reward them.
04-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Now in most o the places, you can ask to develope the film and burn the images on a CD instead of printing each photo. This way, you print only the ones you want. Pic a nice place and the results will suprised you.