Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 01:27 AM   #1

Does Pentax P50 See Manuel Aperture Values?

Hi, i bought a second hand Pentax p50 2 days ago. And yesterday i tried it with smc-m 50mm f2 lens.

When i enter the true values, the photos are nice but i wonder whether there is a problem or not about below:

Probably, the machine does not see my aperture values, so it does not change the shutter speed. Namely, that means:

For example, If the shutter speed is 250 with F5,
still same shutter speed with F22 or F16..

Thats same both Auto mode and both Manuel mode.

Is it normal?

I am waiting for your answers. Thanks.

04-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by erencaner Quote
Hi, i bought a second hand Pentax p50 2 days ago. And yesterday i tried it with smc-m 50mm f2 lens.

When i enter the true values, the photos are nice but i wonder whether there is a problem or not about below:

Probably, the machine does not see my aperture values, so it does not change the shutter speed. Namely, that means:

For example, If the shutter speed is 250 with F5,
still same shutter speed with F22 or F16..

Thats same both Auto mode and both Manuel mode.

Is it normal?

I am waiting for your answers. Thanks.

The camera does not read aperture values from the M, K, or M42 type lenses. Only A, F, FA, DA, DFA and their variants transmit aperture data to the camera.

04-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for your message. Really you made me happy, cos at least i saw that the machine isnt broken.

So, i am beginner of taking photo at SLR ( i've experience at DSLR),

Which SLR of Pentax do you recommend?

The machine called P50 is too old?

To illustrate, What could you say for K1000?

Thanks for your patience.
04-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

t
...To illustrate, What could you say for K1000?
Good economical camera for learning the fundamentals of old-school phtography. Read this article In Praise Of The Humble K1000

04-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
Inactive Account

thanks for your message. Really you made me happy, cos at least i saw that the machine isnt broken.

So, i am beginner of taking photo at SLR ( i've experience at DSLR),

Which SLR of Pentax do you recommend?

The machine called P50 is too old?

To illustrate, What could you say for K1000?

Thanks for your patience.
Not familiar with the P50, or do you mean Z-50p? Either way, still not familiar with it. If it advances film and you can buy a battery and film for it, then it is not too old.

The K1000 is a box with a meter and a viewfinder that you mount a lens on. You pick your aperture or shutter speed and then adjust the other accordingly. Full on manual. It's built like a tank and there are hundreds of thousands of them in the world and on the market (or so it seems). Slightly better, is the K1000SE which has a better meter and a split prism focusing screen. Pentax also released an electronic version of a Full manual camera, the MX/ZX - M.

PentaxForums.com - Pentax Camera Reviews

If unfamiliar with it, you might want to do some reading on Exposure as it relates to film speed (ASA/ISO), aperture (Fstop), and shutter speed.

04-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
The K1000 is a box with a meter and a viewfinder that you mount a lens on. You pick your aperture or shutter speed and then adjust the other accordingly. Full on manual
Built in light meter? Luxury! Try a camera without a light meter at all for "full manual".
04-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Built in light meter? Luxury! Try a camera without a light meter at all for "full manual".
Been there, Done that, Still doing it..

04-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #8

Original Poster
I just say K1000.
As i learned, K1000 is older than P50.

Is it possible to have a few Pentax model suggestions to upgrade?

Thanks again.
04-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
Aperture Priority mode means AUTO mode as we know
I learned it from manual

Last edited by erencaner; 04-12-2010 at 01:35 PM.
04-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #10

The P5/0 is an excellent camera, I've used one for quite awhile. With an M/K series lens, you must set the shutter speed and aperture, the lens does not provide the body with any information. If your shutter speed is 250, aperture f8 and the light changes, you will have to either manually change the shutter speed or the aperture on the lens.
04-12-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Been there, Done that, Still doing it..
Cool gear! The oldest I have is a Rolleicord IV
04-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Cool gear! The oldest I have is a Rolleicord IV
Rolleicords are fine cameras too. Sometimes better because they have fewer moving parts. As long as the shutter spring holds up, they'll last forever and never be without power (no batteries required). That Rolleiflex is about the same vintage. I don't have that particular one any more.. It was my first medium format camera. Like with the Pentax Stuff, I went nuts after buying that first one, even made a small business out of restoring them.

04-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is it normal?
In M mode, you have to adjust the shutter manually. But in Av mode, the shutter should self adjust. Now the bad news. The carbon based aperture variable resistors being used on the P series is unreliable (like those old radio volume controls) and the reading could jump all over the place. There is no solution. If yours does not work, don't be temped to have it fixed. It is a fine camera otherwise.
04-13-2010, 05:26 AM   #14

Original Poster
So this means that, event if we use with SMC-A lens, we had better not trust it aperture values?

Which slrs' aperture values are dependable?

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
In M mode, you have to adjust the shutter manually. But in Av mode, the shutter should self adjust. Now the bad news. The carbon based aperture variable resistors being used on the P series is unreliable (like those old radio volume controls) and the reading could jump all over the place. There is no solution. If yours does not work, don't be temped to have it fixed. It is a fine camera otherwise.
04-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So this means that, event if we use with SMC-A lens, we had better not trust it aperture values?

Which slrs' aperture values are dependable?
The mechanical variable resistor operates in M & Av mode only. In Tv & P modes, where the aperture ring is set to A, the readings are always accurate. P is the only series I am aware having this problem.