Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

Word Up: Rewind Shaft Binding

I had two Super Programs being cleaned at TLC and he said that the rewind shafts on both were binding. I hadn't asked about it. I took this as good news: the funky slotted takeup spools kept losing the film leader, and because of the exact same characteristic on an ME SE that had recently passed away, I'd assumed that the poor leader grabbing was just a characteristic of the basic design.

He fixed the rewind shafts, and being paranoid about loading a new roll of film is a thing of the past. The takeup spools suddenly work very well, and I notice that the effort to rewind is very small compared to the reeling-in-a-fish effort it used to take.

This may be old news to most users, but it was a surprise to me because it was such a consistent trait. If you tend to lose the leader after loading film, it can be fixed to work like it was designed to. Or...just do what I did and go paranoid every time you advance to the next frame.

P.S. Prices on used Super Programs seem to have gone up over the last three months. If you read a comment that says what a versatile workhorse this model is, please dispute it, as I need to find just one more body at a decent price for personal use. It's a terrible camera! Terrible! Please spread the word. Thank you.

04-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Pita Quote
I had two Super Programs being cleaned at TLC and he said that the rewind shafts on both were binding. I hadn't asked about it. I took this as good news: the funky slotted takeup spools kept losing the film leader, and because of the exact same characteristic on an ME SE that had recently passed away, I'd assumed that the poor leader grabbing was just a characteristic of the basic design.

He fixed the rewind shafts, and being paranoid about loading a new roll of film is a thing of the past. The takeup spools suddenly work very well, and I notice that the effort to rewind is very small compared to the reeling-in-a-fish effort it used to take.

This may be old news to most users, but it was a surprise to me because it was such a consistent trait. If you tend to lose the leader after loading film, it can be fixed to work like it was designed to. Or...just do what I did and go paranoid every time you advance to the next frame.

P.S. Prices on used Super Programs seem to have gone up over the last three months. If you read a comment that says what a versatile workhorse this model is, please dispute it, as I need to find just one more body at a decent price for personal use. It's a terrible camera! Terrible! Please spread the word. Thank you.
They're such lousy cameras that you'll have to pay me $10.00 each to take them off your hands
04-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
They're such lousy cameras that you'll have to pay me $10.00 each to take them off your hands
Thank you! That ought to help a bit. Ten...ten...do I hear twelve...