Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Fixing the flash on Z-1p?

Hi all
I recently decided to step away from digital a bit and went and got a (P)Z-1p on ebay. Camera is okay but: the flash doesn't pop up! I can pull it up manually but it'll be loose and not stay up all the way. I know this has always been a weak spot on the Z-1p....

I also have my old Z-1 which works but is pretty bashed up, the mirror's stuck and the glass (plastic, actually) in the finder has come unstuck and is bobbing around.

Does anybody know a way of fixing the flash without wrecking the camera? Would really appreciate any help for a dyi fix as I love this camera!

Alex

04-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Z-1 is definitely a great camera. I'd take it to a repair shop if I were you- it's probably a simple matter but would require a professional.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The flash is spring loaded and held by a piece of plastic at one end. It broke. Just drill a hole and fix a brass rod in with epoxy glue. If it ain't broken, just hook the spring back.

04-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

+1 ^
I had an EI2000 that did the same thing. A lot harder to fix then yours but I was able to get it working like new.

04-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just made a small wedge I use to hold the flash up. Just two pieces of plastic model sprue glued together. Works just fine.
04-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all. Wlachan, I took out about 14 screws before I decided I didn't know what I was doing.... Could you tell me how to take the cover off or is it really complicated?
04-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phosphoro Quote
Thanks all. Wlachan, I took out about 14 screws before I decided I didn't know what I was doing.... Could you tell me how to take the cover off or is it really complicated?
Pop up the flash and remove 2 screws (1 on each side), then you might "squeeze" and pull the flash cover off carefully as there is a tiny plastic clip on each side. Now you should have access to the spring. If possible, you might also remove the entire top but you must be careful not to touch anything inside. The top will come off clean w/o any wire attached. Good luck.

12-31-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
Forum Member

Does anyone know how to fix this problem on an MZ5/N/3 body? Mine had been fine until very recently, then it half-popped up a couple of times and now there is no spring resistance at all.

I can see two screws on the underside of the flash assembly and two more on small metal support bars to the inside. I can see that part of the assembly goes down into the top of the body on the shutter speed dial side and fear the soring may be down there.
12-31-2010, 09:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mzsaunders Quote
Does anyone know how to fix this problem on an MZ5/N/3 body? Mine had been fine until very recently, then it half-popped up a couple of times and now there is no spring resistance at all.

I can see two screws on the underside of the flash assembly and two more on small metal support bars to the inside. I can see that part of the assembly goes down into the top of the body on the shutter speed dial side and fear the soring may be down there.
Alan is the expert here. Go to his web site and you'll see what can be done.

As mentioned in the other thread, I am going to fix the two Achilles heels of MZ-5N. I have a mini lathe and will custom machine the metal parts for the pop up flash mechanism to replace the flimsy plastics.

Last edited by violini; 12-31-2010 at 09:48 AM.
01-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Actually, someone just recently bumped a thread with the how to do that job on the MZ-5 type bodies. I haven't bothered to with mine, though: pop up flash and film aren't a combination I tend to want to use a lot, (Hec, I forget the thing's there. ) But you can really just make a spring to stick in there with a little piece of cardboard or almost anything. It doesn't take a lot of force.

Tsk. Thought I'd bookmarked that thread. I'll see if I can find it and bump it.