Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fuji CN 100 or Kodak Gold 100?

Hello,

I shoot mostly digital now. But, as a camera collector, I own many (20+) 35mm film bodies and cameras. Most are Pentax of course. From SV to PZ, and non-Pentax from 1955 Kodak Pony, to rangefinders to Canon Rebel G SLRs, I like to tinker with them. Sometimes I repair old cameras (with my limited knowledge on the topic) or just refurbish them to working condition. Sometimes I get old cameras that just need cleaning. Same with lenses. Despite shooting mostly digital now, I like to exercise these film bodies every once in a while, or to test them after repair. But finding film locally is becoming a challenge so mail order seems to be the way to go. For these tests, I prefer 12 exposure rolls as I hate to waste a 36 roll to find out focus is out of whack or exposure is totally off. Cost of developing is also a factor. But from what I can see, 12 exp rolls are rare and more expensive than 24 or 36. For over 20 years I used Kodak Gold or Ektar almost exclusively.
I found an online retailer that has 12exp Fuji Color CN 100 and 36 exp Kodak Gold 100 at the same price. They seem to be the balance I'm looking for between cost and quality.
What can you tell me about how these 2 films compare?

Thanks,

04-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #2

You might check PBase (PBase.com). If you click the "cameras" link in the middle of the page, you'll see a whole list of manufacturers. In the Kodak and Fuji sections, you'll see examples from all the films they made in at least the past 20 years, including their ISO 100 print films. Hope that helps!