Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #1

Shutter on Pentax SV not closing entirely

I recently bought a Pentax SV and for the most part works fine. However on most shutter speeds below 250 the shutter doesn't close the entire way, this also leaves the mirror in the up position leaving me with no idea of what I'm taking a photo of in the next shot.

If anyone could help me fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

04-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently bought a SV with the same proble. The fix, I sent it to Eric for a CLA. He got it working good as new.

Swift1
05-02-2010, 12:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
Sorry, CLA?
05-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

CLA stands for Clean, Lubricate, and Adjust. Most older cameras require this every so often. Usually it hasn't ever been done though and in the case of your SV (mine as well) the shutter curtains are probably sticking and need some of all three of the above. It's usually a good thing to do to any older camera you buy if your not sure it has been done. In addition to repairing the shutter, your camera will lreceive new light seals and the shutter speed will be calibrated. In the US ther is a guy ( Eric Hendrickson) Home who does them for a very reasonable price and he is pretty quick. I've had 3 cameras CLA'd and repaired by him. I highly recommend him.
I wish he did other brands I looked into getting a Nikkormat CLA'd and it was 2x-3x what Eric charges.

Swift1

05-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
CLA stands for Clean, Lubricate, and Adjust. Most older cameras require this every so often. Usually it hasn't ever been done though and in the case of your SV (mine as well) the shutter curtains are probably sticking and need some of all three of the above. It's usually a good thing to do to any older camera you buy if your not sure it has been done. In addition to repairing the shutter, your camera will lreceive new light seals and the shutter speed will be calibrated. In the US ther is a guy ( Eric Hendrickson) Home who does them for a very reasonable price and he is pretty quick. I've had 3 cameras CLA'd and repaired by him. I highly recommend him.
I wish he did other brands I looked into getting a Nikkormat CLA'd and it was 2x-3x what Eric charges.

Swift1
Eric does other brands - just email. The issue is parts (which is becoming more of an issue with 70's Pentax bodies these days)..
05-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Eric does other brands - just email. The issue is parts (which is becoming more of an issue with 70's Pentax bodies these days)..
For just this reason I recently donated two bodies of mine to Eric. I had sent a third that needed a shutter... but barring a missing shutter I know he has at least two bodies in the SV period from which to draw parts. Heck, one IS an SV I think

woof!
05-03-2010, 02:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
ok then
thank you very much, I'll look into it

05-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just chiming in and saying: Yes, Eric is the guy. He'll CLA your SV like he did mine and it'll work like brand new.

I've given him 2 K1000s and an MG, so hopefully he'll be able to use those parts, too!
05-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter

OP is in Melbourne. Surely someone CLAs a little closer to home.
05-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Light Seals on SV ?

The only evidence I see of foam material is that which is installed to damper the mirror. There is no gooy mess or foam on the camera back. Am I missing something?
01-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #11

I've had two, and both have had a black gooey residue in the light trap channel round the back
01-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
The only evidence I see of foam material is that which is installed to damper the mirror. There is no gooy mess or foam on the camera back. Am I missing something?
The most common culprit is the mirror foam. It seems that it is particularly likely to liquify, causing the mirror to stick and damage results from that (in the case of my LX). I am no repair expert, but I wonder if it was a material or cement used in the 70s and early 80s that was more susceptible. It is not limited to Pentax. My wife's Yashica/Contax RTS II did the same thing and damaged itself even worse with a frozen mirror. OTOH, I have not (yet) encountered the issue on my Pentax A and P series bodies from the late 80s.

Last edited by GeneV; 01-23-2011 at 06:55 AM.