Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Weird Spotmatic revival

I picked up an SP500 a fews weeks ago at a moving sale. (mostly for the clean 55mm 1.8 SMC Takumar on it) Shutter speeds sounded fine when I was looking over. But, no sooner than I'd gotten back to my car, it started to hang regularly, especially at 1/60th and below. (cycled, but mirror up -- comes down eventually with repeated firings) Then yesterday it started working normally on all speeds. The only thing different is that, for the last couple of days, we've been getting a preview of a Richmond Summer. Could the temperature rise be enough to have that much of effect on the old lubricants?

05-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It probably needs a CLA which would address the lube issue as well as shutter timing etc.
05-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It probably needs a CLA which would address the lube issue as well as shutter timing etc.
I concur. If you do a CLA and get the bumpers and seals renewed, it would be good to go for another 40 years.

Congrats on the find! I go to estate sales and garage sales, rummage slaes and all manner of yard sales and have as yet to fine even one old classic.

woof
05-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I concur. If you do a CLA and get the bumpers and seals renewed, it would be good to go for another 40 years.

Congrats on the find! I go to estate sales and garage sales, rummage slaes and all manner of yard sales and have as yet to fine even one old classic.

woof
I walked the North Florida Flea Market yesterday and not as much as a Brownie.

05-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
This weekend I found a working(ish) Mamiya Sekor 500 DTL and a working GraLab 300 timer. The latter was a freebee. I got there as they were packing up and it was already in the trash.

Last edited by c a sugg; 05-03-2010 at 05:25 AM. Reason: spelling
07-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I walked the North Florida Flea Market yesterday and not as much as a Brownie.
I was at a Richmond outdoor flea market a few weeks ago. There was a black screw mount Fujica that caught my attention, but sitting in open mid-day sun, it was literally to hot to handle.
07-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Re the OP - check the mirror bumper, if it's sticky that would explain the behavior. I had a Fujica that did that - I'd shake it sharply, and the mirror freed up. I replaced the seals with Interslice and everything worked fine after.
07-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Re the OP - check the mirror bumper, if it's sticky that would explain the behavior. I had a Fujica that did that - I'd shake it sharply, and the mirror freed up. I replaced the seals with Interslice and everything worked fine after.
Fortunately, that gets covered in a CLA.

QuoteOriginally posted by c a sugg Quote
I was at a Richmond outdoor flea market a few weeks ago. There was a black screw mount Fujica that caught my attention, but sitting in open mid-day sun, it was literally to hot to handle.
I suspect that a lot of problems in vintage lenses etc could be traced to something like this or people leaving them in a hot auto in July/August. I can see this leading to cement separation in cemented lens groups, oil/grease problems on aperture blades etc.

BTW, did you get that Spottie CLA or replace the seals and bumpers yourself?