Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
I use a Paterson tank yes. I'm sure there is no light leeking in to the tank. Normal agitation was used.

So if this is to be a chemical problem one roll would have had to be agitated different from the other, which I must say doesn't sound very likely.
Well, it could have been the unlikely. Like one reel stuck and the other turning. But there's nothing to be done now if that's the case, cause it would be a freak thing. (I do take care to get the adhesive off the end of rolls these days, but that's because, for some reason, the Neopan I'd been shooting seemed to have something going on that'd feel a bit sticky when I'd get the chemistry on my hands, so I'd wanted to eliminate that possibility. )

QuoteQuote:
Could something like this happen if the roll was exposed to heat before development? Black camera bag in the sun kind of thing?
That was actually the sort of thing I was thinking of at first, but it really does seem like any odd effect like that was in the development process... I suppose a question is, were both rolls subjected to the same conditions as long as you had them, or was there anything different about them... Especially, are there more from the same place?

I suppose it could be a manufacturing problem, or *maybe* it got cooked somehow... I realize I just have a limited amount of experience what happens when film that slow gets abused. When it's just *old* it doesn't look like that...

05-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Yes as I said earlier the whole roll seems to have less contrast than the other roll I did. Makes for quite dull and uniform shades.

Are you sure about the darker areas depleting quicker? If I understand the theory of developing right highlights need more developer as there is more silver-halide crystals that need to be turned into silver there, leaving behind a dark dense part on the negative.

Or are you talking about the dark areas of the negative? In that case we are on the same page
I am talking dark areas on the negative. sorry I shoud have specified.
05-13-2010, 03:24 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
That was actually the sort of thing I was thinking of at first, but it really does seem like any odd effect like that was in the development process... I suppose a question is, were both rolls subjected to the same conditions as long as you had them, or was there anything different about them... Especially, are there more from the same place?

I suppose it could be a manufacturing problem, or *maybe* it got cooked somehow... I realize I just have a limited amount of experience what happens when film that slow gets abused. When it's just *old* it doesn't look like that...
The rolls were not in action at the same time, I put one finished roll in the fridge while I shot the other one. So something could actually have affected one of the rolls and not the other.

I have another six rolls from the same batch. So I guess I'll notice if this is a manufacturing fault.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I am talking dark areas on the negative. sorry I shoud have specified.
Ah well then we have that sorted out