Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Screw Mount Database

Hello everyone,

Pentax has made a significant contribution to photography over the years, much of which may be unknown by those entering the field in the digital era. We would like to extend the camera review database to include original Asahi/Pentax/Pentar (M37, M42) equipment.

I should note that there are a number of members that have some extensive knowledge in this area and have been working on this for some time (Blue, Woof and Monochrome to name a few). I have taken a cut at providing a reasonable list of cameras, but information is limited so I am counting on fellow members to confirm some of the information that we have. Please let me know what data is missing or inaccurate.

To build the database, we need;
1) A picture of your camera
2) Information on your camera (provided further down in this posting)
3) The serial number of your camera (optional)
4) Additional information regarding the camera that you feel is worth sharing

The easiest way for us to collect the information/photos is through an attachment through a PM to myself. I can then update the table below and provide an html table for Adam to use in the creation of the database. I'll update the listing with the members that have contributed so we can keep track of where we are missing info, but please provide information regardless if it appears that we already have information on a particular camera. The more information we receive, the more accurate it will be.

Here is the sample camera information table....

Here is an example listing of information we are seeking;

Camera name : Asahi Pentax S2
Also known as : Asahi Pentax H2 and Heiland Pentax H2
Year introduced : 1959
Year discontinued :
Mount : M42
Automatic aperture stop down: Yes
Metering : None
Meter range : Not applicable
ISO range : Not applicable
DX ISO range : Not applicable
Exposure modes : Manual, B
Exposure compensation : No
Exposure memory lock : No
Shutter speeds (auto) : Not applicable
Shutter speeds (manual) : 1 - 1/500s, B, X
Shutter speeds (mechanical): 1 - 1/500s, B, X
Self timer : No
Mirror lock-up : No
Auto bracketing : No
Multiple exposures : Yes
Winder : No
Flash hot shoe : No
Built-in flash : No
TTL/P-TTL flash : No
Flash sync speed :
Flash exposure comp : Not applicable
Viewfinder :
Viewfinder type : Pentaprism
Diopter correction : No
Exchangeable screen : No
Depth of field preview :
Image size : 24 x 36 mm
Battery : None
Battery grip/pack: No
Size (W x H x D) :
Weight :
Comment : The 'S2' model was the first Pentax to have only one shutter speed dial thus getting rid of the slow speed dial on the front. Unlike the previous models the shutter speed dial did not rotate when the shutter fired.<br />Another improvement was a small window on the top plate which would turn red when the shutter was cocked.<br /> Finally, the foosing screen now had microprisms in the center which made achieving precise focus easier. The fastest shutter speed was lowered to 1/500 perhaps to justify a lower sales price.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by SteveM; 08-31-2010 at 01:46 PM.
05-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the thread! Looking forward to being able to tack on all these cameras to the current camera review database!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Attaching photos for-

SV, SP500, SP (original honeywell version), Asahi Pentax
Attached Files
File Type: zip SP-500_Spotmatic_Asahi-Pentax_SV.zip (911.9 KB, 511 views)

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I am going to do this by degrees. Step one, my cameras and serial numbers:

Asahi Pentax AP Serial Number 146294
Asahi Pentax AP Serial Number 154126
Asahi Pentax H2 (early) Serial Number 205377
Asahi Pentax S2 (late) Serial Number 208277
Heiland (Honeywell) Pentax H3 Serial Number 301057
Honeywell Pentax H3 (black) Serial Number 403006
Asahi Pentax S1 Serial Number 418811
Asahi Pentax S3 Serial Number 484234
Asahi Pentax SV (late) Serial Number 969033
Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic (early (P/No.231)) Serial Number 1075714
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic (SP) (late (P/No.23102) Serial Number 2730255

There are others but they are out on loan. I will use this list to start building the data tables for these bodies, and then will add photos and personal observations.

05-06-2010, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

Here is the data table elements for the Spotmatic (SP) cameras. A lot is N/A, but that's OK. Even more will be N/A with the earlier cameras. Let me know if this is that for which you are looking.

Data Spotmatic (Sources: Original Manual, Asahi Pentax Spotmatic)

Year Introduced: 1964

Mount:42mm threaded lens mount (Pentax-mount)

Meter Range: 1 - 18 EV at ISO 100; 20 - 1600 ASA

Meter Pattern: Built-in meter measures the brightness of the ground glass, and couples directly to shutter and film speed settings.

ISO Range: Film speed (ASA) setting ranges from 20 to 1600 (LV1-18 for ASA 100 film with standard lens.)

DX ISO Range: No DX Coding

Exposure Modes: Manual and Bulb

Exposure Compensation: No

Exposure lock: No

Shutter Speeds (auto): No

Shutter Speeds (mechanical) B, 1-1/1000 sec.

Self-timer: Built-in self-timer releases shutter in 5-13 seconds.

Mirro Lock-Up: No

Auto Bracketing: No

Multiple Exposures: Yes. Advance film while pressing film rewind button.

Winder: Ratchet type rapid wind lever (for film advance and shutter cocking). 10° pre-advance and 160° advancing angle.

Built in flash: No

TTL Flash: No

P-TTL Flash: No

Sync speed: Equipped with FP and X flash terminals. Electronic synchronization at 1/60 sec.

Flash Exposure comp: No

Autofocus: No

Autofocus sensitivity:No

Power Zoom: No

Viewfinder: 0.88x magnification with 50mm lens, and approximately life-size with 55mm lens.

Viewfinder Type: Pentaprism finder with microprism. Fresnel lens for instant focusing.

Diopter Correction: No

Exchangeable screen: No

Depth of field preview: Via stop-down metering

Image Size: 35mm film (20 or 36 exposures). 24mm x 36mm

Panorama format: No

Battery: Mallory PX-400 or equivalent 1.35V Mercuric Oxide. Use 1.55v silver oxide
Energizer E387S also sold as the Radio Shack 387S (RSU #11608452);

Battery grip/pack: Via optional Motor Drive System(s) http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/Asahi_Motor_Drive_System.pdf

Size (W x H x D): width 143mm (5.6") x height 92mm (3.6") x thickness 88mm (3.4")

Weight: 868g (1 lb. 14 oz.) with 50mm lens, 621g (1 lb. 6 oz.) without lens
---
Standard Lenses: Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 or 55mm Super-Takumar f/1.8 with fully automatic diaphram. Distance scale: 0.45m (1.5 feet) to infinity. Filter size: 49mm. With depth-of-field scale. Equipped with diaphragm preview lever which affords visual check of depth of field. Distance Scale: 45cm (18") to infinity.

Shutter: Focal plane shutter with single non-rotating dial (dial rotates to select shutter speed but remains stationary when exposure is made - this is a reference to earlier cameras that had shutter speed dials that rotated when the exposure was made). Speeds: B, 1-1/1000 sec. Film speed (ASA) setting dial and window on shutter speed dial. Built-in self-timer releases shutter in 5-13 seconds. Shutter curtains of special rubberized silk.

Manual: Pentax Spotmatic instruction manual, user guide

Comments: to follow with photographs
05-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam and Woof...quite a set of cameras! And also thanks to Arjay Bee and Thazooo for the PMs.....
05-07-2010, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Inactive Account

As a part of my contribution on Spotmatics, I would love it if as a part of the overall comments section on Spotmatics, we include the following detail and photographs concerning the identification of Early vs. Late Spotmatics.

Some detail:

Early Spotmatics were produced from July 1964 through 1965 sometime, as compared with 1965 through 1973 for the "Late" version. It is historically interesting to note that Asahi produced their millionth SLR in 1966, so the early Spotmatics belong to the era before Asahi's millionth SLR was produced. The early models are relatively and can be dated to no later than 1965.

There are subtle differences that give the early bodies away... differences include cosmetic differences in the self-timer lever, meter switch, top cover attachment method, and film counter height. There are also subtle differences in the focusing screen, lettering font, and even the strap triangle rings. The early part number was 231. The later model part number was 23102. Some appear to have these numbers on the baseplate, but not all. Serials can distinguish them as well... serials starting in the range 10nn800 but lower than 2016000 are early, while 2016000 and above are late models.

For Photos, see this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/56010-early-sp...tml#post546658

woof!

Last edited by woof; 05-07-2010 at 03:43 PM.
05-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
As a part of my contribution on Spotmatics, I would love it if as a part of the overall comments section on Spotmatics, we include the following detail and photographs concerning the identification of Early vs. Late Spotmatics.

Some detail:

Early Spotmatics were produced from July 1964 through 1965 sometime, as compared with 1965 through 1973 for the "Late" version. It is historically interesting to note that Asahi produced their millionth SLR in 1966, so the early Spotmatics belong to the era before Asahi's millionth SLR was produced. The early models are relatively and can be dated to no later than 1965.

There are subtle differences that give the early bodies away... differences include cosmetic differences in the self-timer lever, meter switch, top cover attachment method, and film counter height. There are also subtle differences in the focusing screen, lettering font, and even the strap triangle rings. The early part number was 231. The later model part number was 23102. Some appear to have these numbers on the baseplate, but not all. Serials can distinguish them as well... serials starting in the range 10nn800 but lower than 2016000 are early, while 2016000 and above are late models.

For Photos, see this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/56010-early-sp...tml#post546658

woof!
Thanks woof!! I'll send you the table before I send it in to make sure everything looks good.

Steve
05-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've now set up a repository for competed camera entires here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/content/m42

Whenever you e-mail me a zip, I will add the files to this folder so we can publicly keep track of all completed files, as well as view them.

Adam

05-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Adam.

It would be a great help if someone could take a peek at the list of cameras I created above and let me know which are missing?.....

thanks,
Steve
05-08-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Specs as requested for H2 and SPII

Woof's comments re Spotmatics above apply to the SPII pretty much but filled out your table in any case.

Asahi Pentax H2
Serial Number 243803
Year Introduced 1959
Mount M42
Meter Range N/A
Meter Pattern N/A
ISO range 10-800
DX ISO range N/A
Exposure modes Manual
Exposure compensation N/A
Exposure Lock N/A
Shutter speeds (auto) N/A
Shutter speeds (manual) T,B,
Shutter speeds (mechanical) 1,1/2,1/4,1/8,1/15,1/30,X, 1/60,1/125,1/250,1/500
Self timer Yes
Mirror lock-up N/A
Auto Bracketing N/A
Multiple exposures N/A
Winder Manual Single stroke
Built in flash (N/A)
TTL flash N/A
P-YYL flash N/A
Sync speed 60
Flash exposure comp N/A
Autofocus (N/A)
Autofocus sensitivity (N/A)
Power zoom (N/A)
Viewfinder Penta Prism
Viewfinder type Annular Micro-prism/fresnel
Diopter correction N/A
Exchangeable screens N/A
Depth of field preview N/A
Image Size 35mm
Panorama format (N/A)
Battery N/A
Battery Grip/Pack N/A
New Features
Small hole near shutter release shows red dot when film has been advanced and is ready for taking image
Satin chrome trim or black

Asahi Pentax SpotmaticII
Serial Number 5238702
Year Introduced 1971
Mount M42
Meter Range N/A
Meter Pattern Centre Weighted
ISO range 20-3200
DX ISO range N/A
Exposure modes Manual Match Needle
Exposure compensation N/A
Exposure Lock N/A
Shutter speeds (auto) N/A
Shutter speeds (manual) B
Shutter speeds (mechanical) 1,1/2,1/4,1/15,1/30,1/60,X,,1/125,1/250,1/500,1/1000
Self timer Yes 5-13s
Mirror lock-up N/A
Auto Bracketing N/A
Multiple exposures N/A
Winder Manual Single stroke, Auto Wider accessory available
Built in flash (N/A) FP/X sync outlets
TTL flash N/A
P-YYL flash N/A
Sync speed 1/60
Flash exposure comp N/A
Autofocus (N/A)
Autofocus sensitivity (N/A)
Power zoom (N/A)
Viewfinder Penta Prism
Viewfinder type Annular Micro-prism /Fresnel
Diopter correction N/A
Exchangeable screens N/A
Depth of field preview Switch
Image Size 35mm
Panorama format (N/A)
Battery Button Cell Varta V400PX
Battery Grip/Pack N/A
New Features
Hot accessory shoe for cordless flashguns, FP/X dial under the rewind lever allows choice of flash type
Standard FP/X sync outlets beside lens mount
Easy loading spool
Satin Chrome trim or black

Pics following
05-09-2010, 05:03 AM   #12

Thanks for your efforts in doing this, I've been looking for a comprehensive list of the early screwmounts and having it in one place is really good.

I'll try to contribute. I have two late Spotmatics (SP) serials 2922839 and 3803002. I suppose the higher number indicates that's younger. There's a slight difference in the leather covers for the cameras namely, the feel of the earlier one is softer (probably from greater use/age) and some details are slightly changed between them.
05-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got SIGNAL!

Had a lightning fry that defeated one of my surge protectors. After a herculean struggle with AT&T extending over four days and nights (they sent me a replacement Wireless NAT Router instead of a basic DSL Modem, as I requested) I have reprogrammed the Router firmware so it acts as just a modem and reconnected my network to the outside world. Kind of a cool hack, in a perverse sort of fun way.

Now I can begin compiling and sending data lists for each camera I can get a manual for, working around those woof has already listed.

Paul

Asahiflex IIa
Pentax K - own SN 172198 - photo follows
Pentax S2
Pentax H1a/S1a - S1a own SN 720443 - photo follows
Pentax H3v
Pentax SL
Pentax SP500
Pentax SP1000
Pentax Spotmatic IIa
Pentax ES
Pentax Spotmatic F
Pentax ESII

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Thanks woof!! I'll send you the table before I send it in to make sure everything looks good.

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I am going to do this by degrees. Step one, my cameras and serial numbers:

Asahi Pentax AP Serial Number 146294
Asahi Pentax AP Serial Number 154126
Asahi Pentax H2 (early) Serial Number 205377
Asahi Pentax S2 (late) Serial Number 208277
Heiland (Honeywell) Pentax H3 Serial Number 301057
Honeywell Pentax H3 (black) Serial Number 403006
Asahi Pentax S1 Serial Number 418811
Asahi Pentax S3 Serial Number 484234
Asahi Pentax SV (late) Serial Number 969033
Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic (early (P/No.231)) Serial Number 1075714
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic (SP) (late (P/No.23102) Serial Number 2730255

There are others but they are out on loan. I will use this list to start building the data tables for these bodies, and then will add photos and personal observations.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-09-2010 at 11:04 AM.
05-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by summonbaka Quote
Thanks for your efforts in doing this, I've been looking for a comprehensive list of the early screwmounts and having it in one place is really good.

I'll try to contribute. I have two late Spotmatics (SP) serials 2922839 and 3803002. I suppose the higher number indicates that's younger. There's a slight difference in the leather covers for the cameras namely, the feel of the earlier one is softer (probably from greater use/age) and some details are slightly changed between them.
Thanks summonbaka. The more help we get, the better!

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Had a lightning fry that defeated one of my surge protectors. After a herculean struggle with AT&T extending over four days and nights (they sent me a replacement Wireless NAT Router instead of a basic DSL Modem, as I requested) I have reprogrammed the Router firmware so it acts as just a modem and reconnected my network to the outside world. Kind of a cool hack, in a perverse sort of fun way.

Now I can begin compiling and sending data lists for each camera I can get a manual for, working around those woof has already listed.

Paul

Asahiflex IIa
Pentax K - own SN 172198 - photo follows
Pentax S2
Pentax H1a/S1a - S1a own SN 720443 - photo follows
Pentax H3v
Pentax SL
Pentax SP500
Pentax SP1000
Pentax Spotmatic IIa
Pentax ES
Pentax Spotmatic F
Pentax ESII

Sorry to hear about the modem Paul.....glad you're back online. I sent the H2 table and pics to Adam yesterday and have sent the Spotmatic table to woof to make sure I filled it out correctly.

Many of the models are slight variations, so we should soon have most of the info we need. I don't think the sizes of some of the earlier models are listed in the manuals(?). I was unable to find anything for sizing the H2, so I measured and weighed mine. We can do the same for the AP, S, K etc, although I think they may all be from the same original casing.

Thanks for the help!

Steve
05-10-2010, 04:53 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I measured and weighed mine. We can do the same for the AP, S, K etc, although I think they may all be from the same original casing.
They are. it changed at the Spotmatic.

woof!