Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
Ed in GA

What a treasure I had

And, at the time, had no idea.

In 1976 I purchased my first SLR.

It was a Pentax K1000.

It came with a 50mm f/2 nomal lens and a really nice leather case.

This one had the following features. It had a Depth of Field preview lever which also served as the self timer and a split screen, cats eye, foucsing screen.

I must have taken 10,000 shots with that camera over the next five years and really enjoyed having and using it.

I sold that camera, along with an MX that I also owned, in 1981 after I had been disheartened over losing two large boxes of slides during short move.

For the last year, I have been watching e-bay to see if I could get my hand on one just like the one I had. So far, I've purchased a couple of the later model K1000s and have used them. but have not been able to find one with the DOF preview and self timer.

I've looked at literally thousands of K1000s in e-bay are there are none to be had like my first one.

If anyone has one of the old ones with the cats eye and DOF lever, I'd sure like to talk to them about buying it.

Sometimes we don't know what treasures we have until long after we've let them go.

Last edited by Ed in GA; 07-28-2007 at 10:29 AM.
07-28-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
KM?

I don't believe the K1000 ever had a self timer or dof preview. It also only had a single pc synch. I think only the K1000 SE had a split screen.

The KM fits more what you describe, although I'm not sure about the screen.

Anyway, try this site to download the manuals for a comparison, it may be of use.

Pentax Manuals

cheers

Greg
07-28-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by wirrah Quote
I don't believe the K1000 ever had a self timer or dof preview. It also only had a single pc synch. I think only the K1000 SE had a split screen.

The KM fits more what you describe, although I'm not sure about the screen.

Anyway, try this site to download the manuals for a comparison, it may be of use.

Pentax Manuals

cheers

Greg
The manual on that site is the same manual that Pentaximaging.com has on their site. Both are 1982 revised additions.

Well, possibly my old mind and memory are failing me. But, I swear I had a K1000 with DOF preview and self timer.

Oh well, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Ed
07-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
This one had the following features. It had a Depth of Field preview lever which also served as the self timer and a split screen, cats eye, foucsing screen.
That's MX you are describing. K1000 never had those features. Since you also owned MX I believe you are recalling features of that camera. Perhaps, you should start looking for an MX?

One more prominent difference is in the metering indicator: on K1000 it is a black needle moving smoothly between a "+" and "-" marks as far as I can remember, while MX has a LED indicator lights: green (OK), yellow (+/-0.5EV) and red (+/-1 EV). If you remember lights you are certainly talking about the MX.

BTW, I owned both and although MX is smaller and lighter I liked better the needle and full-frame metering on the K1000 (MX has center-weighted metering).

07-28-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
Ed in GA

Well Ivan, could be. But I want to think I remember that the guy I bought it from made a comment about it having the DOF preview. But again.....

I like the MX. I bought that one so that I could add a motor drive and bulk film back for it. I was following the MotoX boys around back in those days and taking/selling a lot of photos.

Anyway, as I said, old minds get confused so..........
08-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #6

Here is my K1000 SE with the split image and as you can see it doesn't have a timer lever.

Tom
08-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

EddyinGA

Could it be a K2 ? K2 came out around that time ( 1976 ) . K2 also had a special model K2DMD which was sold with a databack and K2DMD Motor Drive ( around 1000USD in '76!!! ) based on McBroom's Blue Book

Tom : that is one nice SE !!!

Edit : My book is 95-96 Edition .

Last edited by dantuyhoa; 08-08-2007 at 08:13 AM.
12-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ennacac Quote
Here is my K1000 SE with the split image and as you can see it doesn't have a timer lever.

Tom
What a beauty, looks to be in great shape
12-10-2008, 03:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You likely had a treasure, but it may have been the KX. It has the DOF preview and self timer...

there it is on the left - on the right the 'stripper' model SP1000, which is the screw mount daddy of the K1000. Obviously the K1000 has the horizontal line of the K cameras on its prism housing though.

Here's the KX in a more nostalgic pose:
12-10-2008, 03:28 AM   #10

No, it was not an MX, as the depth of field preview on an MX is not activated by a lever. It sounds more like a KM/KX to me.
12-10-2008, 05:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
And, at the time, had no idea....
Sometimes we don't know what treasures we have until long after we've let them go.
I know the feeling, mate. I bought a Topcon RE2 around 1968-70 and bashed it around the world for years. Stupidly I traded it in some years ago for a telescope that I now hardly use and I still find myself yearning for that camera. My K1000 is close, very close, but it's just not quite the same as that old treasure. You have my sympathies!
I did read somewhere that when the K1000 was manufactured in China several oddities came out from time to time, including a split ring. Yours might have been one of them, perhaps?
12-10-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
Inactive Account

And, at the time, had no idea.

In 1976 I purchased my first SLR.

It was a Pentax K1000.

It came with a 50mm f/2 normal lens and a really nice leather case.

This one had the following features. It had a Depth of Field preview lever which also served as the self timer and a split screen, cats eye, focusing screen.
When I hear comments like this I always refer to the book, "Asahi Pentax and Pentax SLR 35mm cameras 1952-1989" by Danilo Cecchi.

Pg. 123 describes the K1000 as, "... devoid of all extras considered superfluous. It had no self-timer, depth of field button, the disc for memorizing the film used, nor an FP synchro contact."

"The K1000 was also produced in a slightly modified version, called the K1000 SE. It was characterized by a diamond-embossed rubber casing and a split-image rangefinder at the center of the ground glass screen. Only a small number of K1000 SE cameras were produced."

Perhaps you had the SE version; now that would be special!
12-10-2008, 06:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Ah, the KM. Hard to find those where I am, so I had to settle for a K1000. I'm not complaining that much, though the split-focus screen and DOF preview would've been nice.

(Still on the lookout for a KM to go my way...)
12-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Try an LX it does and has what you need and maybe more available.
12-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #15
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The manual on that site is the same manual that Pentaximaging.com has on their site. Both are 1982 revised additions.

Well, possibly my old mind and memory are failing me. But, I swear I had a K1000 with DOF preview and self timer.

Oh well, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Ed
Another K-Mount with the features you want is the Ricoh XR-1. They often go for very low prices and are pretty nice cameras.